The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cigarette lighter not working

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

Cigarette lighter not working

Neither 12v source of cig lighter inputs are working. Is this a possible fuse problem, or wiring?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    fuse

or driver error.

It is a fuse? Nice. Now to find my manual to see which one..

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    well i thought mine wasnt working bcuz it didnt turn orange when it was hot, i couldnt feel my thumb for 2 weeks :oops:

there's a fuse...but check behind that panel my plugs fell out one day on its own and they didnt work, plugged it back in and it was good to go

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    First check the fuse on the driver side panel fuse box (to the left of the steering wheel, you must have the door open).

If that fuse is ok, it may be the "wire-fuse" that is attached directly behind the 12v sockets. That's what happened in my case. I had to remove those things and directly solder a new wire (regular wire). I have a picture of the back of the 12v socket showing that wire fuse, I'll post pics when I get home.

Hopefully yours is just the regular fuse.

Mine was regular fuse, fixed. 15 amp fuse for future reference.. hoping the noobs will search

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleekGTZ View Post
    First check the fuse on the driver side panel fuse box (to the left of the steering wheel, you must have the door open).

If that fuse is ok, it may be the "wire-fuse" that is attached directly behind the 12v sockets. That's what happened in my case. I had to remove those things and directly solder a new wire (regular wire). I have a picture of the back of the 12v socket showing that wire fuse, I'll post pics when I get home.

Hopefully yours is just the regular fuse.
    hey sleek...do you know if there is a fuse behind the adapter (the one above the cigarette lighter)...mine doesn't work, but the cigarette lighter works...and i checked the fuse, and the wiring. nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh View Post
    hey sleek...do you know if there is a fuse behind the adapter (the one above the cigarette lighter)...mine doesn't work, but the cigarette lighter works...and i checked the fuse, and the wiring. nothing.
    In my case, each socket has a "wire-fuse" behind it aside from the regular fuse. So if your regular fuse is ok, and one of your 12v sockets is not working, then it's probably that "wire-fuse" that needs to get fixed (or soldered).

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    cool...i'll look into it...thanks sleek.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    same thing happened to me, but what happened was the "nut" on the bottom outlet came unscrewed and was causing a short, so all i had to do is reach behind there and tighten her down and problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    same thing happened to me, but what happened was the "nut" on the bottom outlet came unscrewed and was causing a short, so all i had to do is reach behind there and tighten her down and problem solved
    Yes thats right, that could be the case too.
    In my case, I knew I've blown a fuse because I plugged in a 20 amp car heater but didn't realize that the fuse is only 15 amp. Then when I checked that the 15 amp fuse was ok, I had to look somewhere else.