The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ABS light is goes on and off - Repost

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

ABS light is goes on and off - Repost

2000 Mits Galant with 4 cyl.

When ABS is off, and I hit the brakes, they chatter as if I am skidding (but I'm not). It sounds like the ABS thinks I'm skidding so it activate.

When its on, No ABS at all.

It seems to stay off when first starting the car, then after a few m minutes (15?), it comes back on.

Rest is repost, since I really didn't get an answer last time I posted:

"Mechanic says the passenger sensor was bad.

When he showed me the part (insulation was worn and wire was exposed on the wire), it made sense that the Anti lock light would come on every once and a while when it was wet outside.

In the end, before I finally took it in to get fixed, Anti lock light was staying on more than off, but I thought it was b/c we had snow recently.

He replaced the passenger sensor, but the light stayed on. Couldn't clear it. he even tried disconnecting the battery.

Mech. was stumped so he then went to another shop with my car and found the code (22? 23??) said it was the driver sensor too. He replaced that and tried to clear it. Light still stays on.

Last consensus was that it was the circuit board for the Anti lock Brake motor/pump and that it could cost $800 to replace. "

If its the board, why would it work sometimes, in the wrong times, but not at others?

Has anyone ever heard of this and can someone please offer some advice as to cause and possible fix.

ABS light is goes on and off - Repost

Note-I also posted in Tech center>Wheel rims Susp. and brakes---looks like it belongs here instead- Sorry.

2000 Mits Galant with 4 cyl.

When ABS is off, and I hit the brakes, they chatter as if I am skidding (but I'm not). It sounds like the ABS thinks I'm skidding so it activate.

When its on, No ABS at all.

It seems to stay off when first starting the car, then after a few m minutes (15?), it comes back on.

Rest is repost, since I really didn't get an answer last time I posted:

"Mechanic says the passenger sensor was bad.

When he showed me the part (insulation was worn and wire was exposed on the wire), it made sense that the Anti lock light would come on every once and a while when it was wet outside.

In the end, before I finally took it in to get fixed, Anti lock light was staying on more than off, but I thought it was b/c we had snow recently.

He replaced the passenger sensor, but the light stayed on. Couldn't clear it. he even tried disconnecting the battery.

Mech. was stumped so he then went to another shop with my car and found the code (22? 23??) said it was the driver sensor too. He replaced that and tried to clear it. Light still stays on.

Last consensus was that it was the circuit board for the Anti lock Brake motor/pump and that it could cost $800 to replace. "

If its the board, why would it work sometimes, in the wrong times, but not at others?

Has anyone ever heard of this and can someone please offer some advice as to cause and possible fix.

Don't post the same thread twice. Just post on the first thread and a mod or admin will move it.

You're right- I apologize...

My mistake. Thanks for the advice/info.

I'm writing some facts about 8g:
    ABS only comes with ES V6, LS, and GTZ.
    02-03 LS are both i4 and V6.
    99-01 LS are all V6.
    99-01 ES V6, LS, and GTZ are all V6.
    So I don't get how your car that is 00 ES i4 comes with ABS!

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. Your car doesn't come with ABS.

Its an ES

It is an ES 4 cylinder. It does have ABS. Purchased in Nov 1999, but its a 2000. That much I know for sure. Should I post the VIN?

That's interesting. My car is a 2001 ES i4 and it doesn't come with ABS.

I thought the only ES that comes with ABS is the V6!

It has ABS, it a 4 cyl

I promise. Again, what I can do to show for sure. I mean I see the light. I hear the chatter when its off. I know its an ES. Is there anything I can bring to the board to show what the car has...I mean other than my word?

FYI- Not upset. I understand where you all are coming from. Just trying to provide as much info as possible.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Did you or your mechanic check if there is enough brake fluid? Low brake fluid will set off the ABS light if its too low. I would check the electrical connections to the ABS motor assembly and see if its secure and check the plug if its dirty.

Can you get the ABS codes again...depending on what codes the ABS system is setting off, can help determine whats going on.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Vin#, Credit Card number, expiration date and the 3 digits on the back, also bank account number, ss # and id number should help fix this problem quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Vin#, Credit Card number, expiration date and the 3 digits on the back, also bank account number, ss # and id number should help fix this problem quickly.
    lmao, I was just going to say that we won't steal his car if we knew his VIN#. You beat me to the punch though.

Ha ha ha

Ok joke's on me. Here's some specs on the car:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...i-galant-3.htm

And another set of Specs:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/...pecifications/

Notice the SOHC i4 and that Antilock IS an option.

Anti-lock/ABS light still goes on and off. Any ideas???

I'm being told:

"mr249980 the abs hydraulic unit is probably bad. I asked some of the Mitsu techs that I work with and that is the general consensus...."

It can cost upwards of $800 to fix the ABS board! I may have a mechanic do it for around half. He has to look at it first though...

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
    *****MOD EDIT*****
    Merged the original poster's two threads into one.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Fixed!

Turns out is was another bad ABS sensor. Got it fixed for under $150

Not sure but maybe its an aftermarket one that was used?

Either way, I'm glad I got this fixed at much less the cost of what I was first told.