The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil light on at idle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Oil light on at idle

2000 Galant 4 cyl. 100K miles

Just had the timing belt, water pump and all other belts replaced (FYI cost @ CarX was $662 in Milw. WI). Car runs great so far, BUT the oil light comes on at idle.

Mechanic told me, before I left, that he had the same problem, but he replaced the oil sensor and then the problem went away. Less than 24 hrs. later, same problem is back.

Any ideas why the oil light would go on only at idle? When I give it gas it goes away. Is it OK to drive like this? Will be back to the Mech. on Monday.

As part of the timing belt and other maint. they did change the oil.

Also, they degreased the engine.

Not sure if any of that has to do with the light, but thought I'd mention just in case.

Jesus, your car is just filled with lights that turn on and off.

Lol!

Its an ES. The ABS light was coming on and off for a while.

The oil light just started within the last 24 hrs.

Good god! I hope the car is not on its last legs! SHe was running great if not for these 2 things...

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    Jesus, your car is just filled with lights that turn on and off.
    This really helps the situation.

Any way, did your mechanic actually check your oil pressure when he changed the sender? It could actually be low at idle which indicates worn bearings or a failing oil pump. Take it back and make him do it the right way.

Not sure

I don't think so. I'll ask him though. This light did NOT come on at all until after the Timing belt change. Seems strange that the light would go on now. Its never been on before.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    This really helps the situation.

Any way, did your mechanic actually check your oil pressure when he changed the sender? It could actually be low at idle which indicates worn bearings or a failing oil pump. Take it back and make him do it the right way.
    Well what I was getting at was that maybe the lights are faulty. My SES light was, it wouldn't turn off even though there was no code. I fixed it though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Does the motor have enough oil?

It is possible that you could have got another faulty oil sensor. If your mechanic just replaced it..is should be under warranty and have him replace it. IF it happens again, then its something else like possibly a failing oil pump.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Are the belts hooked to the oil pump?

Could it be the other belts replaced is hooked to the oil pump and therefore is loose or something? Not enough PSI?

I'll ask about the oil sensor too. You never know. Maybe it is another bad sensor, but to be honest, I don't think the first one was bad. It never light up until after this major work.

I have a 99 ES, and it does the EXACT same thing since ive got it, it drives me krazy, if you ever figure out why, please let me know.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykdee View Post
    Could it be the other belts replaced is hooked to the oil pump and therefore is loose or something? Not enough PSI?

I'll ask about the oil sensor too. You never know. Maybe it is another bad sensor, but to be honest, I don't think the first one was bad. It never light up until after this major work.
    No, it's a cogged oil pump drive and your timing would be off as well if the timing belt that drives it and your valve timing were loose. That's not the problem.

Have him actually check your oil pressure through the sender port to see if it's ACTUALLY a bad sender. Your mechanic sounds like a lazy-ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Is the car idleing ok?? Notice any other issues or the car acts ok just has the light on??

i have that same problem, its my oil pressure sender, too lazy to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Is the car idling OK?? Notice any other issues or the car acts OK just has the light on??
    Car is fine otherwise. What bothers me that when the car is not at idle, and more pressure is likely present, the light stays off. Why only at idle?

I Hope its the sending unit again...but the first one wasn't "bad" until the timing belt was changed. They supposedly changed it to another new sender, and now that one is bad too? That seems rare.

Does the battery need to be disconnected when the timing belt is changed? Maybe the chip needs to be reset somehow???

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    i have that same problem, its my oil pressure sender, too lazy to fix it

Light comes on only at idle?

Light comes on only at idle?
    yup, only at idle

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    No, it's a cogged oil pump drive and your timing would be off as well if the timing belt that drives it and your valve timing were loose. That's not the problem.

Have him actually check your oil pressure through the sender port to see if it's ACTUALLY a bad sender. Your mechanic sounds like a lazy-ass.
    Will do. It the Pressure is OK, what next?

If not, is it likely a blown seal or gasket?

WarmAndSCSI
    Will do. It the Pressure is OK, what next?

If not, is it likely a blown seal or gasket?
    If the pressure is OK, it's obviously a bad oil sender unit or something bad in between the indicator light and the sender.

A blown seal or gasket? Probably not. You'd see an external leak if the seal to your oil pump were blown. Like I said, worn bearings or a problem with your oil pump.

i have the same problem, changed the timing belt my self and now everytime i stop at a red light or stop sign i get the oil light,,,, i bought a haynes book from ebay $12 and this is what the timing belt instructions say for the oil gear...

verify that the oil pump sprocket timing mark is aligned with the stationary mark. the oil pump of course is not timed but the balance shafts are, and the oil pump drives one of the balance shafts. there are timing marks on the oil pump drive and driven gear, but you cant see them unless the pump is removed. to vertify that the balance shafts is in correct position and to lock this shaft in the correct position untill the timing belt is reinstalled. remove the plug on the side of the block and insert a 8mm philips screwdriver threw the hole in the block , when the shaft is in correct position, the screw driver will go in 2.5 inches into the hole in the block, do not remove the screwdriver until the timing belt and balance shaft belt have been reinstalled.

i know i didnt do that so that could be the problem, i will retake everything off in the spring when it gets nicer out and try to fix it before its too late

almost 4000 miles since the timing belt was changed ,the light started coming on in the past 100 miles

2000 I4 100k Miles

WarmAndSCSI
    That would make sense if somehow the oil pump was doing something differently at a particular angle... but in reality, it's mean to keep constant pressure at any given crank angle.

the reason it only comes on at idle is because the more you accelerate the faster the oil pump spins thus building up more pressure which is why i think its your oil pump or bearings like TJ mentioned

but have the guy check the pressure like WarmAndSCSI said then come back with the results
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast