The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mirror Switch LEDs

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Mirror Switch LEDs

The mirror adjustment control in my car works fine, except it never lights up, so I took the switch apart today to see what the problem was.

The LEDs inside look old and brown and Id like to solder some new ones in.

So my question is, is there a store where I can buy some LEDs or will I have to order them online? and secondly what rating should I buy for two white leds?

I hope this hasnt been covered before, I tried searching for it, but didnt find anything. Thanks.
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 03-08-2008 at 10:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gtsnapper View Post
    The mirror adjustment control in my car works fine, except it never lights up, so I took the switch apart today to see what the problem was.

The LEDs inside look old and brown and Id like to solder some new ones in.

So my question is, is there a store where I can buy some LEDs or will I have to order them online? and secondly what rating should I buy for two white leds?

I hope this hasnt been covered before, I tried searching for it, but didnt find anything. Thanks.
    Why not start at Radio Shack if you want to shop local. Just avoid talking to the salespeople except to ask where the LED's are.

If you want to shop online go to http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You dont have to solder anything dude. I didn't on mine.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i have the same prob, only one of the lights works lol

i have another prob in my speedometer tho. the o-60 light keeps blowing lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    fry's electronics? don't know if you have those in Colorado though

yea, this hasn't been covered before because i think im the only one who put in their own led's into the mirror switch.

really, if you are happy with the regular white light, it'll be easier to just buy another switch at like ebay or something. they're pretty cheap.

but yea, since my led's aren't wired directly to the circuit board like the lighting on there now, and u want to keep things i guess like factory, i'd first remove the old lights. unsolder them. then i'd take measurements of the old lights. then i'd take the switch, hook the pins for illumination to a 12v source. then take a voltmeter and take the voltage thats coming out of the switch for the lights, and those two are the key numbers you're gonna need to buy leds. whether it be radio shack, online, ebay whatever. if the leds are too big, the switch won't work. if the voltage is wrong, you might end up blowing up the led or having it not light up at all.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i have the stock one from my USDM mirrors laying around i guess i will open it up and do some looking around
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    but yea, since my led's aren't wired directly to the circuit board like the lighting on there now, and u want to keep things i guess like factory, i'd first remove the old lights. unsolder them. then i'd take measurements of the old lights. then i'd take the switch, hook the pins for illumination to a 12v source. then take a voltmeter and take the voltage thats coming out of the switch for the lights, and those two are the key numbers you're gonna need to buy leds. whether it be radio shack, online, ebay whatever. if the leds are too big, the switch won't work. if the voltage is wrong, you might end up blowing up the led or having it not light up at all.
    That's a good idea, and probably an improvement over the factory set up.

I think that's what I'll do.

I ordered some pre-wired leds over the weekend complete with soldered in 12V resistors.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Gtsnapper; 03-18-2008 at 03:26 PM