The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hood problem

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Hood problem

So like when I bought the car everything was working perfectly. But now the freakin hood won't open when I pull the latch I'd have to have someone pull the latch while I open the hood with my keys. Just irratating cause I'd rather have it be open the way it should. Does anyone know how I can fix it by myself? if not probably have to take it to the shop and see what they do or say.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Adjust the two rubber bump stops on to of the radiator support, twist them out more so the hood raises up a bit. Problem solved!
    7g for life!

spray the shit out of your latch mechanism with some pb blaster or wd40.

once all the rust is gone, then you can spray it down with some white lithium lubericant whilst working the mechaism back and forth.

spray the springs, in between the latches,
    and then your problem should be solved.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Both suggestions are on the money. It sounds like the latch mechanism is working because you write you are able to "pry" the hood up once the hood release is pulled. If the latch mechanism is working Seth's suggestion is what you need to enable you to open the hood with out "prying" it up.

DOHCstunr suggestion will help the hood to move easier and respond better when the hood release is pulled but ultimately if the hood bumpers are not adjusted (Seth's advice) upward you'll probably still have a problem with getting the hood opened.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

i have the same problem with my 7g, i can pull the latch and the hood wont pop, but i dont have to hold it open while i lift it, i just pull the latch and then pry it open
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I had this same problem when I first got my black 7g. Spayred PB blaster to looses up some of the rust buildup and then some sprayed lithium to the latch assembly. Since then never had the same problem happen again. Now another option is buy a new hood latch or find a salvaged 7g with a better condition latch and install it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

thanks seth it worked. Never knew that those rubber things were for that I always wondered what they were for.

Yea i got the same problem. i just tap my hood a couple times and it pops up. But i have to take a screw diver to push the cable back in! If i bought new springs for my latch would that solve the problem of the cable not going back in or is my cable streched out and i need to buy a new one??

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

If the cable is not pulling back the latch mechanism is the problem. Before replacing springs try DOHCstunr's advice to free up the latch mechanism. You should be able to lose the screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    spray the shit out of your latch mechanism with some pb blaster or wd40.

once all the rust is gone, then you can spray it down with some white lithium lubericant whilst working the mechaism back and forth.

spray the springs, in between the latches, and then your problem should be solved.
    Use Seth's advice, "Adjust the two rubber bump stops on to of the radiator support," to make the hood pop up so you don't have to pound on it to lift the hood.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL