The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g Power locks, auto locking?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    K

7g Power locks, auto locking?

When I open my doors with the key from the drivers side lock the locks open then after a few seconds lock themselves, so I have a few seconds to get the door open. Really annoying. Its basically locking me in :/. Also sometimes once its open, if I close the door all the locks will lock by themselves. It doesnt do it all the time, occasionally it is fine. I have no aftermarket alarm or keyless entry and it only started doing this the other day, so I dont think it is my dodgy wiring or it would have happend earlier. Anyone had same problem?

i know with mine, im having a problem with the driver's door freezing, and when i hit the unlock button, it unlocks and then re-locks to prevent damage to the mechanisms... speaking of, i gotta get something in there to stop the freezing... but its too damn cold here to do any work... i bent my key trying to get in :( but at least it didnt break...

but yea, thats what i thought of, but you say its a few seconds later... dont know... hope u find something quick, or are really fast at getting in your car

My 94 ES and 98 ES have both had lock problems (car locking itself). Mits replaced something under warranty in each case. I believe it was a relay.

On the 94 the problem came back a few years after they fixed it. I just live with now but it seems to have gotten better with time. BTW, I had the problem while I living in Tucson AZ so don't think freezing has anything to do with it. My first winter here in Montana I got locked out (with the engine running) when it was 30-40 below. Car was unlocked and the door was cracked open. The door got shut and it locked itself. Fortunately I was within walking distance of home and the landlord was home to let me in to get spare car key. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.

Right now all the locks on the 94ES alll work as they are suppose to except for the drivers side rear door. Noe the drivers side rear door unlocks just fine but will not lock. Does not matter if you use the key in the lock or the power lock button from inside. Any thoughts on problem or fix?

On the 98 I had to take it back a couple of times because Mits said they could not replicate the problem. Amazingly enough as soon as it was out of warranty they were able to identify what was needed. I had to argue with them that it should have been done under warranty. They reluctantly agreed only because I showed them two service reports where they said they could not fix because they could not replicate the problem. I am certain they said it was a relay. Problem has not reoccurred on this car.

This is not a rare problem for our cars. I think there was even a service bulliten about the power locks.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

K
    mmm relays, i'll look into that, thanks fo your replies

I have a 96 Galant, and my power locks are giving me a problem. I'm not sure if its normal to unlock the passenger side door with the key and all the doors unlock. Its rather annoying because my lock button doesn't work so I have to go around locking all the doors by hand. Also, the driver side door when open and car running I try to lock it but it unlocks and when I try again it won't even budge. It does the same thing some times with the car not running. Again, really annoying.. I was told its wiring but maybe its this relay that you are talking about..... I'll have to check that out too..

Any thoughts though?

It is normal that if you unlock the passenger door with the key that all the doors will unlock. Let me rephrase that, on both my 94 and 98 ES if you unlock the passenger door with the key all the door unlock, so I assume it is normal. Additionaly if you go to unlock the driver's side door and only turn the key once it only unlocks the driver's side door. If you turn the key twice it unlocks all the doors.

As far as the power locks not wanting to work when the door is open and the car is running (or not running but the key still in the ignition), that is also normal (again, my cars do it). I've always thought it was to help prevent you from locking yourself out of the car. You can lock the car with it running (or not running with the key still in the ignition) either by manually flipping the lock lever and then shutting the door or by using a spare key in the door lock after the door is closed. Of course if your locks just lock/unlock them selves as they see fit you can still be locked out of the car.

Other than the fact your locks wont work when you press the button to lock them, it sounds like they are working just fine.
    Last edited by eksz; 03-12-2008 at 06:13 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

its a standard thing on the seven g. Key goes to start, locks lock, key turns off locks unlock its not a problem, but it dose sound like they are faulting out. check to make sure there is no corrosion on the wires running to the locks. if there is clean them up and it should stop faulting out. also check the button down at the bottom of the door that tells the car the door is shut, they tend to build up corrosion also which could be making everything tweek out. take it out pull it apart and see if there is some corrosion on it im betting that is ware your problem is coming from.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.