The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noobish question but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Noobish question but...

Hi Guys...

I'm from a small island called Mauritius (Google it) n i got a 1992 Mitsu Galant GL.

Now i was wondering how to get more power from this baby, i'll be getting 2 new pairs of Black 15" Rims that a friend of mine has sold to me n wanted to get some more power from the car to go with the rims :)

could you please set me a list of things to do on the engine? i'm totally noob in mechanics...

Also, if someone could please tell me if it is normal to have white smoke AND a greasy black sh** from my exhaust?

The white smoke is every time i start the car (Hot or not). n the black gooh is in the exhaust n seem to have been there for a long time now (looking at the amount) n if it is a serious prob, wether i have a cheap solution to ir or should i go for replacing some stuff from the engine or somethin like that.

THX GUYS :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Welcome to TGC!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Welcome to TGC

Thx for the greets!!

Anyone for the questions above please?

silverlightning
    Welcome, it sounds like this bad girl has some high high miles on her, I would concentrate on the maintenace for now :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What motor is in your Galant?
    How does the car run performance wise with the engine?

White smoke coming out of the exhaust usually signifies coolant being burned into the combustion chamber which could be from:
    1. If the car is turbo..the coolant seals on the turbo have failed.
    2. There is a headhgasket failure.

You say it only happens during startup..are you sure it doesn't happen during driving?

The black "goop" coming out of your exhaust doesn't sound good at all. Are you blowing out black/blue smoke out of your exhaust?

Before you even think about getting more power out of the car..these issues need to be tended to.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    Welcome to TGC... I agree with 4-G-rim, could be a head gasket issue. If you're blowing out white smoke and it's a head gasket issue, you've got a leak between a coolant passage and the combustion chamber. So, do a compression test and you'll know this is the case if you get a pretty low reading on one or more cylinders (below 100 PSI). If you've got two cylinders next to each other that are low, the gasket probably blew between those two cylinders.

Have you had any problems with overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    What motor is in your Galant?
    How does the car run performance wise with the engine?

White smoke coming out of the exhaust usually signifies coolant being burned into the combustion chamber which could be from:
    1. If the car is turbo..the coolant seals on the turbo have failed.
    2. There is a headhgasket failure.

You say it only happens during startup..are you sure it doesn't happen during driving?

The black "goop" coming out of your exhaust doesn't sound good at all. Are you blowing out black/blue smoke out of your exhaust?

Before you even think about getting more power out of the car..these issues need to be tended to.
    Think the engine is stock....the Non turbo type. N she had quite some miles on her that is true but the engine is fine when driving, it's just that it makes huge puffs of white smoke on startup. No Blue smoke from the exhaust when the car runs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-Rim
    Welcome to TGC... I agree with 4-G-rim, could be a head gasket issue. If you're blowing out white smoke and it's a head gasket issue, you've got a leak between a coolant passage and the combustion chamber. So, do a compression test and you'll know this is the case if you get a pretty low reading on one or more cylinders (below 100 PSI). If you've got two cylinders next to each other that are low, the gasket probably blew between those two cylinders.

Have you had any problems with overheating?
    N i have no issues at all with the temperature of the Engine.

Thx for the Help guys! :) will try to get a good mechanic to check that nasty engine...

Got another question though. Is it safe to change the exhaust now? (Cause of the black goo thing... don't want to change it if it's gonna do the same thing on the new Exhaust)

My project with that car is to make it look a bit like a R33 Skyline... Custom body kits cost like $200 bucks here in Mauritius... :P

Will post Photoshop pictures of how the final car will look like afterwards (When i'll have time to them :P)

THX A BUNCH GUYS!!!

Since you have alot of miles on the car as you say...it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test to see compression is on all your cylinders. Generally..if any of your cylinders are close or below 100psi its not a good sign

The black goop coming out of the exhaust isn't a good thing. Do you have to put oil into your motor more than often?

The only thing I can think of is your leaking oil past your piston rings (which could be since you have a high milage motor) and unburned oil is being blown out, valve seals are bad and unburned oil is pushing out.

WarmAndSCSI
    If he has a blown head gasket, he could be sucking in oil from the deck as well. Like we've both said, do a compression test before any of us start speculating! lol

Thx guys...

Compression test will be scheduled till the end of this week... :(

Hope it's nothin bad...

What is the solution if i have a bad comperssion from the valves? change the whole engine ?? (Don't know anything about engines )

WarmAndSCSI
    What 4-G-rim was describing wasn't bad compression because of the valves per se. He was talking about the valve stem seals which keep oil from getting sucked into the combustion chamber from your valve train area. In your case, you're probably looking at a cylinder head surface sealing issue, not valve sealing. If you did have valve sealing problems, you'd probably just want to replace the whole engine because it would mean tearing off the cylinder head, getting it resurfaced, and getting a valve job done.

How many miles are on the motor?

Depending whats causing the issues you are having it depends. You would have to talk to your mechanic which is a better choice for your money. Having what ever is wrong with the current motor in the car now fixed..or finding a lower milage and better condition motor used and putting that one in.

hmmmm Costy!!

Will check that n come back to you...

if ever i have to change the engine, what should i get instead? - I mean for more power... -

Will look for another lower mileage engine too.. but if i can get a more powerful engine that is compatible with my transmission i'll be a happy man!! :P
    Last edited by Mozerfok; 03-11-2008 at 03:25 AM

Engine compression is bad... below 100 PSI on 2 Pistons...

Was thinking of something. What if i do a reboring of the engine, change the pistons and fit bigger ones in the same engine?

Is that a safe thing to do or?

That way i can save the same engine instead of changing since i don't know which engine i can swap with the shitty one... :(

I will check if it is more expensive to do the reboring or to swap the engine but i need someone (you guys) to tell me what engine i can look for to swap... (More powerful one if possible...)

THX A BUNCH FOR THE HELP MATES!

WarmAndSCSI
    Were they adjacent cylinders? Could just be a blown head gasket, which a cylinder head resurface and new gasket could fix.

What engine are we talking about here? 4G64?

like people have said sounds like a gasket. For the black smoke... let your car run for a little bit then push your hand on the end of the exaust... hold it for a second then look at your hand. If there is a somewhat watery black ring on your hand then you are most likly burning a fair amount of oil.
    support perfection buy a mac

thx for the tip... about the engine i have no ideas what it is, it's stock. that's for sure.

N the compresion test shows failure on one piston that's all...

Mechanic will change the seal and piston but i have doubt about that engine... would like to change it but i don't know what to look for, so if anyone could tell me what model of engine i have to look for that would be great! (Looking for an engin that is more reliable and swifter than the current one which is a 1600cc)

The only thing am sure of about that car is that it's a FWD Mitsubishi Galant GL 6th Gen with everything stock.

I was wondering what kind of Filter upgrade i can get for this car; and if changing the Spark plug cables could make a differerence with the smoothness of the engine... and also why the hell isn't there's no RPM meter on my dashboard???

Thx People!!
    Last edited by Mozerfok; 03-14-2008 at 10:55 AM

The engine code should be on the side of the shortblock. See you got a 6g galant with a engine that wasn't sold here in the States if you are saying it has a 1.6L in it and majority of the members here are from the U.S. and aren't that familiar.

You could swap a 4G63 (same motor out of the Lancer Evolution and Galant VR4s) but don't know what is required to make it work on your Galant. The motor will drop right in there..but the wiring will most likely need to be changed.

Your mechanic should be able to source a engine for your car somewhere and hopefully get you a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast