The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Eclipse Awd springs on Galant Has anyone tried this?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Eclipse Awd springs on Galant Has anyone tried this?

I am not a Dumb A** I already searched and found nothing.

I am curious if anyone has tried to replace the rear coil springs from an AWD 2g eclipse (supposedly stronger than Galant) on the rear strut assembly? The rear of my Galant was sagging and I replaced them with the stock springs.

When I put about 250lbs of weight in my trunk (tools, parts, luggage,) or even when two friends ride in the back the rear sags pretty down. I have recently spent $1000 on the struts/new rims and tires (205/65/15V). And if I try for some hard cornering (installed 2g rear sway bar) it rubs.

I heard that since the 2g AWD weighs 400lbs more that the Galants (the rear diff and other suspension 200lbs) are stronger. I want to know, if they will fit?

I found 1 inch spacers that should put preload on the springs to strengthen them but I don’t feel this is a good fix.

Any IDEAS (beside get new rims or tires)?

Lastly any one who is willing to donate a used 2g spring for me to test fit to my struts; I will pay to ship back and forth to return it to you.

WarmAndSCSI
    Remember spring rates GREATLY affect the handling characteristics of your car (oversteer, understeer). I highly caution you against doing something like this. Also, the preload spacer doesn't "strengthen" the spring - the spring rate stays the exact same. I think you need to go read up on how spring rates actually work lol. This is physics 101.

I understand the spring rates (I am using the wrong terminology) put I don’t think that the difference is so dramatic (150lbs per inch of travel vs 175lbs per inch of travel) seeing that it about a 365lbs difference between cars.

What I would like to find out is the weight distribution for the 2g AWD and the 7G Galant?

I know I am not an expert when it comes to suspension. I don’t think that it will have serious Understeer, Oversteer issues (I can resolve that via the sway bar if the are noticeable). I am fully aware that the shocks also play a part in the suspension travel.

I just wanted any ideas people had, AGX shocks instead of my GR-2, or even if someone has tried the 1 inch spacers. (Even better yet someone who has fixed this issue.)

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about suspension but you did not leave any advice.

PLEASE LEAVE ADVICE.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX4g64S View Post
    You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about suspension but you did not leave any advice.

PLEASE LEAVE ADVICE.
    Wow. Pretty sure I gave you plenty of useful advice. 2 posts and you're going to dictate to me to give you advice. That's fucking rich!