The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RIPP SDS 4cyl kit DONE and Dyno'd (Automatic)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 122
    RIPPMODS

RIPP SDS 4cyl kit DONE and Dyno'd (Automatic)

formal thank you to Davin (Owner of the Galant tester) for being the test bed for our SDS. WITHOUT HIM WE WOULD NOT have BEEN ABLE TO BUILD A KIT....

We are going to need a 2nd tester a 5SPD and it must be an 4cyl Eclipse. You must be in the Tri State area.

OK guys the testing is over the maps for the Automatic have been written. When all was said and done we were able to run 5-6psi. The Supercharger sounds sweet it has a nice growl compared to stock.

The RPMS shoot up nice and fast and very dynamically. The HP curve is very smooth and there are no dead spots. We were able to keep the Air fuel ratios at 13.1-13.2 with virtually now load up at all.

When we were done we laid down 179.3whp and 178.7lbs or torque (224.1 crank HP). This makes for a very strong accelerating car. We had base lined this car before the SDS and found only 103.3WHP (sorry all you auto guys). So our goal of a 200whp 4cyl is very doable. as with a 5spd we will be able to sneak it out with no problems.

We didn't want to push the automatic to much as it is the first one out there, as we log miles and do testing we will keep everyone updated.

As the kit stands it comes with:
    SDS 4cyl (CNC design and built)
    SDS Brackets including idle pulleys (CNC design and built)
    Vortech V5 GTrim
    Walboro 255 Fuel Pump
    RC Engineering 550cc Atomizer
    Malpazzi Boost sensing rising rate fuel pressure regulator
    RIPP Black Box
    RIPP Black Box 2bar map sensor
    Injector harness
    Injector LED
    Oil return and feed
    Oil return "No Weld" adapter
    Air filter
    Longer Drive Belt
    CNC MAR adapter
    CNC Boost pipes
    Vacuum lines and tee's
    Fuel lines and tee's
    All clamps and Zip Ties.
    All fully illustrated instructions
    1 year warranty on SDS
    2 year on Vortech (By Vortech Thru RIPP)

The 4cyl kit also includes the 45000 RPM bearing that all the 6cyl kits are getting now. The 4cyl kit did not need a blow off valve or by-pass valve. All the "Whoosh" sound comes from the built in clutch system of the Vortech.

We are still speculating a price of $3495.99----$3595.99. This is all pending quantity of product. I'll try to make it the lower of the 2. I my put a group by together for the lesser of the 2 prices. It really depends on all of you.

Thanks for your patience,
    Ross Esposito
    Ripp Modification
    718-442-4723
    www.rippmods.com

RIPPMODS
    We've already had the 4cyl up by 10 psi but we didn't want to push the auto car to much, its not our car to break.

Remember we are tuning on a SAE DYNO scale, this is arguably the most real HP scale used by racers and professionals race car builders. One could say "adjusted" this car produced 200WHP. Which for all intensive purposes it does have. It feels extremely strong right through the RPM band. It feels similar to the 6cyl cars mainly because the HP and torque is the same. The closer those 2 #'s are, the more linear the acceleration will feel and be. That's why we wanted a 5SPD to run some HP numbers.

Basically the SDS kit is done. The same kit on the Auto car that we posted PICS of will also fit and power the 5SPD cars. The only difference is the addition of a different boost pulley. The fuel maps will need to be modified. We do all this.

Right now there is only one kit and its on the Galant... I wanted to make a first run. and get production going to get the machine costs down.

Should we start a group buy?

$3495 full kit 5SPD or auto. 5 people. If we can get 10 I'll shoot for $3400.00 but we need to regroup fast because I want to get moving on this.

I need to order a lot of stuff and we're (RIPP) spent out pretty deep right now... So if you guys are ready, if you don't want to wait until summer we can set up guaranteed deposits. You can leave a $1500-$2000 deposit and we will lock you in to a kit. If we don't produce it will be fully reimbursable. We feel if we can order within the next 2-3 weeks, we can have product in your hands in 4-6 weeks. Again based on deposits ... everyone on our end needs to get paid so we need to set this system up.

As for the test car its really just a matter of needing a 5SPD to get some real HP #'s. We feel like there is so much more room for tuning the auto car is holding us up a bit. We really wan to put down the 200+ WHP we can get out of this set up.

We believe that the addition of an Intercooler on the 4cyl running over 10psi will be possible and real power will start coming out. But without a volunteer we will not know. We will always tune on a safe curve, we are not blowing anyone's car up, we just want to get the message across that there is a lot of room for tuning with this set up.

Thanks for all the support.

Sincerely,
    Ross
    Rippmods
    www.rippmods.com

RIPPMODS
    I picked the Galant 4CYL up from the DYNO (LAST WEEK. On its maiden voyage it got into a "Light-to-light" with a BMW 330ci..... guess the guy in the BMW didn't expect to lose but I had him all the way to 90+MPH. I didn't hear him shifting so it must have been an automatic.

The car is deceivingly faster than it seems.. it pulls strongly right from the start spinning the front tires under acceleration. (This is an automatic.) Shifts its gear and it pulls strong up to 70~ top of 2nd then shoots to 80+mph right into 3rd gear and you head towards 100+ very very fast. The torque accelerates this car real nice at higher speeds.

This car we opted not to bypass any boost and is pulling rather strongly without it. The best part is when we beat that car we were DATA logging wide open throttle passes, It was only making between 3-4psi the SC belt was slipping it had been left loose after we tested different boost pulleys.

Davin (owner) was in today to go for a blast and was all smiles ear to ear after going for a blast. Just hearing it spool up under acceleration was enough for him. Its gone smooth so far and they are only going to get more powerful from here. These are our base line numbers, we speculate as more kits are installed and more maps are written we will find more HP for you to play with.

As for HP, You have more WHP than a stock 6cyl. The Auto 4cyl has made 179 WHP almost all the 6cyl cars we based lined only made 151-165WHP. AND NOT NEARLY THE TORQUE the 4 banger is making. As soon as we do the 5spd we will make more HP with more boost and timing we're sure of it.

Ross
    Rippmods

Ross, those are some impressive numbers. Congratulations. It sounds like your hard work has paid off.

I'd like to ask your expertise on another topic, regarding the Apexi S-AFC. I've been reading a lot on the 3G forum about problems with the RPM dispay not being stable. I've also seen a couple of fixes, which don't seem to be 100% reliable. (satchmo, micro potentiometer, etc.) I'm planning on putting an AFC on my 6g72 and want to eliminate any anticipated problems. Based on your knowledge with patenting your black box, I was wondering if you could provide any guidance. I need to depsparately flatten my fuel curve, and the AFC is the only reliable recommended way to do so. Any help you can provide in how to hook it up will be appreciated, and I'll pass it along to Tempest Racing when they do my install and dyno.

Thanks in advance and again, you have me drooling over your superior work and the R&D you put into it.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ken inn

s-afc tuning

if you are wanting a more linear fuel curve, you should use the map sensor mod, instead of it taking hi and lo fuel settings off of the tps, you can set it up to use a map sensor. it is much better for a forced induction system.

Isnt it great!!
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Im liking the numbers, was really hoping for at least 180whp or even 195whp, but that auto is killin us. Either way Ripp you guyz are making power, lots of power, cant wait for a 5spd to put down some numbers..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Fast99ES
    I'd most definately like the group buy on this supercharger...I'm likin the numbers...Ross...what would you quote an intstall for this supercharger?
    I cant wait to kick some ass. 8)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast99ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd most definately like the group buy on this supercharger...I'm likin the numbers...Ross...what would you quote an intstall for this supercharger?
    I cant wait to kick some ass. 8)</div>

Installation part is easy, just do it yourself, but have an expert tune it is all you need....
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast99ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'd most definately like the group buy on this supercharger...I'm likin the numbers...Ross...what would you quote an intstall for this supercharger?
    I cant wait to kick some ass. 8)</div>

Installation part is easy, just do it yourself, but have an expert tune it is all you need....</div>

BUT - with the inclusion of the black box - tuning will not be needed, right?

J

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>

J</div>

tuning will ALWAYS be needed...

Man..........Just when I blew all my money on other parts, this comes out.....doh!!!

If only we could finiance this kit....... (hint.......hint)......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>

J</div>

tuning will ALWAYS be needed...</div>

I'm ignorant. What kind of tuning? Surely not to the extent of what is needed without the black box? Any details would be great - and at what cost? My hope was that the black box would bring down the total cost of having the charger put on my ride...

J

RIPPMODS
    So! The Galant ES SC’s gets to prove it self again!

As Davin (owner of tester 4cyl SDS Galant ES automatic) said in his post, he had us (RIPP) install a full suspension (KYB AGX/Eibach sport line), which we did. As with any suspension, after you install it, you need to have the car aligned. Since we out source our alignments, we needed to take his car just down the road to an alignment shop.

Funny thing happened. During this short trip we have to take a long service road, which rides along the Staten Island expressway. At the very first traffic light we were lined up next to a Black Cadillac STS, a North Star equipped STS. Now what makes this extra funny is there were 2... Well, Punks (no offence to all you STS drivers) driving it. So I looked over and they were smiling. I guess they were feeling all pumped up that they were in there STS and I was only in a Galant ES with a Big tip......

So I blew there doors off! That makes 2 respectful cars THE SDS 4cyl automatic has taken down, the former being the 330ci on its maiden voyage from the DYNO. Now that we got 5-6psi pumping thru the Galants veins it seems to have grown a set. As we drive, the stock programming in the ECU runs smoother and smoother.

All and all this car feels and is quick; we can't wait to get our hands on a 5spd.

Ross
    Rippmods

But when we get our hands on this, it is going to be more than 6psi right?
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    but isnt 6psi on our motors like 12psi in any other motor cause of the high compression? or did you guys lower the compression?

another thing you gotta worry about is the tranny. if you dont bulletproof the tranny it will blow at like 8-10psi
    7g for life!

RIPPMODS
    Your compression is not that high, and as long as you have the proper electronics and tune you will ahve nothing to worry about. Our black Box is like having stand alone electronic tuning. There is no aspect of the tune that has been left untested.

At the moment we have the Auto set at 5-6psi because we don’t want to hurt anything, at least not on the first and only tester we have. It feels real nice, mainly because our electronics are able to control bolt timing and fuel curves. So we are maximizing the amount of HP per boost we are making. There is no guessing with fuel or timing. It’s a perfect fuel curve from start to finish and our air fuel ratio is near perfect throughout the RPM band.

The auto at the moment is acting fine, time will tell. But if it’s anything like the V6 cars there have been no Transmission failures at all.

As for boost levels, we should be able to run some serious boost on the 5spd and realize some good WHP. We want to find this out as much as anyone else but without a tester we won't know for sure. We want to run at least 10psi thru an intercooler and our Black Box. We feel we should be making some were around 230-245WHP without any problem at all. We are basing this on the numbers we have already and we feel, based on our progress in the past we should fill this promise.

It’s all up the next guy who steps up though.

I beleive NORCAL performance will be offering a Auto-5SPD conversion. Don't quot me on that you may want to ask them.

Rippmods

cdaw2001ES
    Couple of Q's
    Will you offer additional pulleys to allow us to up the psi in the future ?
    Will you offer an intercooler add on or upgrade now or in the future ?

How well will your "Black box" work with other mods, -headers and cat back, vs stock exhaust?

Senior TGC Member
    Man this thing sounds sweet...I want forced induction now Hey as long as I'm still making more torque on my N/A V6 (180) than the blown 4 banger I'm happy Not that my heavy weight is helping any
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

RIPPMODS
    We will be offering a 10psi pulley as soon as we get a 5spd tester. We have already had 10psi flow thru the Automatic, but we felt it would not be wise without testing the 4cyl automatic first.

This week we are mocking up the front mount IC. on an Eclipse GT. The 6cyl kit will be done first followed by the 4cyl kit.

We are aimimg for 200+HP on bolt 5spd and auto cars. The numbers you see posted here are just tester numbers and represent our first ever base numbers. With all the talk of blowing up trans, we tuned on a very safe curve. We can do that because of our electronics.

Rippmods

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast