The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 GTZ wheel

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

2003 GTZ wheel

I decide to weigh one of my GTZ 6 spoke wheels yesterday after inspecting it.

It ended up weighing 37.0 LBS.

The Goodyear LS 205/55/16 weight is 19.0lbs brand new and I have half wear. I'm guessing the rims weigh somewhere around 19lbs each accounting for 1lb of weigh loss from tread wear.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    And the point of this thred is????

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    And the point of this thred is????
    ... don't be an ass, I think this is very good info. It's nice to know how much rotational mass you're losing or gaining when switching to aftermarket wheels. Not sure if anybody has weighed the GTZ wheel before, but thanks to the OP any way.

It is good info and I can be an ass all I want.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    It is good info and I can be an ass all I want.
    Why are you contradicting yourself now? How can you question the point of a thread providing good information?

I'm done; my apologies to the OP.

I never said the info was bad, did I?? I just don't see the performance here?? Stop assuming.

http://www.the-welters.com/racing/rotational.xls

This is gives an estimation on rotational effects on a wheel. I've been looking for aftermarket wheels for my car which we know the lack of torque these cars stock/NA directly affects the acceleration. Then when you think about the added stresses to the suspension and brakes. Typical 17" tires that are right fitment for our cars can range from 21-24 lbs a piece and decent rim is going to weigh at least 20lbs unless your willing to pay big $ for forge wheels. Light cast wheels bend too easily.

Weight saving

Reducing un-sprung mass (Wheels, discs etc) has a far greater performance benefit than reducing sprung mass (bodywork). In racing, some designers use a factor of eight. For example, saving 1kg on a wheel weight gives the same performance gain as saving 8kg of sprung weight. This is due to the following benefits :
    http://www.dymag.com/Mototcycle_Wheel_Technical.html

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    ... don't be an ass, I think this is very good info. It's nice to know how much rotational mass you're losing or gaining when switching to aftermarket wheels. Not sure if anybody has weighed the GTZ wheel before, but thanks to the OP any way.
    Thanks, I just thought someone else might have been curious also because I've searched for wheel weight for this car all over the internet and on here.

lol people quit getting your panties in a bunch. And yeah this is good info, I wondered about this too with stock steelies and aftermarket rims when I was trying to figure out how much and if my 18"s would slow me down.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

This is good stuff, I'm curious, anybody know the weight of Eclipse GTS wheels, I'm running those on my car right now.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

There seems to be a lot of "asses" on this website since i came back lol

Back in the Family!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    my ralliart/eclipse 18" wheels/tires are like 55lbs.

the stearing wheel is soooo heavy.