The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Well this was supposed to be a winter project...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 76
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

winter project..NEW PICS 3/30/08

..............but its almost Spring, but a project is a project none the less.

I dont even know where to begin, I have so many "miny" projects going on, im just gonna post up the major ones for now and add pics as I go

switched up my turbo setup a bit, same turbo, new manifold, downpipe, intercooler and intercooler pipes

yes the radiator upper outlet is only 3" from the wastegate...thats a problem

the downpipe is 2.5" coming off the turbo and it makes a crazy bend, then it opens up to 3"
    this is the only pic for now, as I am waiting for my Vband flanges to come in, so all work has been halted on the downpipe.

old intercooler setup

new intercooler

no FMIC behind the bumper...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

creative thinking.......radiator hose problem solved

test fit of what soon will be my new upper intercooler pipe, 3" aluminum
    the silicone connector wont be in the middle, it will be TIG welded right there.

Well thats all the pics for now, im hoping to make some progress on getting the intercooler mounted
    this week and finishing the downpipe and wastegate dump. Once thats all done my tranny needs to come
    out and get the LSD sent back to Quaife so they can fix it, then I can move on to finally install my Energy Suspenion
    complete suspension bushing kit and my Megan Coilovers, after thats done I am installing my twin walbro 255 fuel pump setup and finally when all that is done I can install my Brembo calipers/rotors and new wheels. Ohh did I mention I still have to install the JDM rear bumper, grille and sideskirts? and get the car painted? It never ends...........
    Last edited by Stewi; 03-30-2008 at 09:57 PM Reason: new pics
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Oh sexy! Looks great Stewi...I really like what you did with the upper rad hose.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    looks good

don't they make prothane for 8g's?

screw energy suspension, its too damn soft.

so does this mean no boost for the honeymoon?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

LOL

Nah thats not til november. I got energy suspensions kit a long time ago but just never installed it. I bought the pro-thane motor mount kit and I wasnt that impressed, their front mount was gay so I had to use energy suspensions and their rear mount didnt even fit.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

wow looks like you have some fun time ahead of you. i'll be looking forward to the updates
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea the front prothane mount is machined too large and bounces around... according to some it can even break the bolt after a while...i used all 3 except the front and it stiffened up a lot, i havent yet but i will be ordering a deyeme (sp?) front mount

that u bend looks familiar. Is that a SBR mani also? i have one sitting around that I considered using. looks like a quality manifold.

does this mean you wont be coming in a galant again for the annual BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    that u bend looks familiar. Is that a SBR mani also? i have one sitting around that I considered using. looks like a quality manifold.

does this mean you wont be coming in a galant again for the annual BBQ?
    That bend looks very familiar, your setup actually inspired me. I exhausted all options to finally decide that bend was the only choice. Did anyone notice the A/c compressor is bolted back up? Thats right, A/C is going back into the car. Thats the main reason that bend is soo tight. The manifold is actually made by HAFE Performance, its made of cast Stainless Steel and overall its a good manifold and very durable. I have one of them bling bling polished SS heat shields for it too thats not in the pics. In terms of the BBQ, I am doing my absolute best to make sure the car is there. Especially since I havent had the 8g at any of the BBQ's for the past 3 years although I did bring the 7g to one of them.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Nice going.

Evo heart in a G is always hot :D

looks good man...that IC looks exactly like mine.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

looks hella hot. freaking cant wait to see the build done!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Todays work....

downpipe is almost done

vband clamps FTW!

99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Looking good!, and call me back!!
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

that old intercooler setup, u notched the crash bar as far as i see but how did u hold the intercooler in place ?? and how are u planning on fitting the new one with the crash bar ??

looks good so far, i know u told me that ur downpipe was on the way but i didnt think it was this soon :)

keep up the good work
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    that old intercooler setup, u notched the crash bar as far as i see but how did u hold the intercooler in place ?? and how are u planning on fitting the new one with the crash bar ??

looks good so far, i know u told me that ur downpipe was on the way but i didnt think it was this soon :)

keep up the good work
    I had two 1" wide by 3" tall by 1/4" thick aluminum brackets welded vertically on the top of the intercooler. I drilled holes in these brackets, drilled holes in the back of the top floor on the crash bar and used a nut and bolt.

I plan on doing the same thing with this new setup
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

ok so I got home a little early from work today and I was able to finish the downpipe. I thought this was going to be a lot harder than it turned out to be, the key to doing this sort of thing is having plenty of extra piping because you WILL make a mistake and be patient...and dont weld with a cotton hoodie like me because that ish got burned

once I get some free time, not anytime soon, im going to re-do the entire exhaust with Vband flanges.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Looking good man. Looking forward to seeing your Galant debut with the new setup.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Ok so I have been doing some work over the passed week....

intercooler mocked up in place, trying to get a general idea of where I was going to place it and how I was going to mount it.

as you can see, I cut the center lock support and cut out the area where the bolt to hold in the power steering cooler went. I havent ran a power steering cooler in 3 years and it still works fine. The only reason to get one is if you do autox or road racing and you can mount it elsewhere.

had 3 tabs tig welded to the intercooler. The mounting hole for the center tab is already some type of hole in the center lock support a few inches below the bottom bolt on the hood latch, all I did was drill the hole slightly bigger.

this is how I did the side tabs. I drilled large holes in the front of the crash bar, then smaller holes in the back layer of the crash bar. This way the bolts are inside the bar and wont stick out against the plastic bumper, I used washers between the tabs on the intercooler and the backside of the crash bar in order to "shim" the intercooler so it didnt sit crooked. Its hard to do without this because the crash bar is curved.

Ther intercooler is as far back as I can get it. The bumper fits better than I expected. I only have to trim a little bit on the backside of the bumper about 1/4" off the lower vent hold thats at the very bottom of the bumper on each side. I will also have to trim a litte off the center opening near the inlet/outlet of the intercooler because I need space for the silicone connectors and clamps

Done.

Last edited by Stewi; 03-30-2008 at 10:13 PM
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast