The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Well this was supposed to be a winter project...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 76
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    ok so I havent gotten alot accomplished in the past week because im waiting for my quaife LSD to be fixed and sent back. Its been a month since I contacted them about the problem, it took 3 weeks to get a return authorization from them, needless to say I am pretty pissed about that whole situation.

In the meantime, I have come to the realization that im not a big fan of the place I mounted my inline pump. Now I dont drive my 8g every day like I used to, but even still, god forbid I hit anything in the road and it takes out the pump, im either gonna lose the motor from leaning out or catch the car on fire. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to figure out where I could move this thing to. The easiest solution was the engine bay, but NHRA rules say you cant have an electric pump in the engine compartment unless its a tube chassis race car, and I dont want to get screwed when I go to the track. So this is what I did....

I removed the bracket that holds the e-brake cable to the underbody of the car and used washers to space the pump bracket away from the body so that I had clearance for the fittings. I am going to just use a zip tie and support the e-brake cable on something else.

filter and stuff is close to where it was before....

oil cooler is fully mounted and I modified the hoses to reach the new location

I also re-sealed the oil pan so hopefully (fingers crossed) no more oil seepage.

tomorrow im gonna change all the a/c o-rings and permanently mount all the lines

next I gotta do some sanding on the bumper to clean up where I cut to fit the intercooler

new flywheel will be here tomorrow, new clutch next week and hopefully my LSD will be back too, if quaife stops sucking and fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

What kind of sealant are you using? I used high temprature RTV...

I tried using the quick-set RTV and it leaked like a sive, I guess the RTV was quicker than me!

I used ultra gray RTV. The high temp RTV is the stuff thats cooper colored, thats meant for high temp seals like ghetto rigging a head gasket, or exhaust gaskets and the like. You can even use it on the threads of o2 sensors if the sealing ring leaks. The trick to using ultra gray is after you apply it to the pan, wait about 15 minutes before you put the pan on, this gives it time to start getting tacky so it doesnt squeeze out all over the place when you tighten the bolts.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Ive always had problems with only pan seepage. I used the Ultra grey stuff last time and still had problems. I probably needed a new pan. Nice progress so far man.
    7g for life!

OK update........

So I talked to quaife today and they said my LSD will be repaired and ready for shipping either tomorrow or friday. This is good news, so that means I should have a working tranny by the following weekend.

I was also able to get my lower control arms off today and press out the busted up stock ball joints. Let me tell you, I would rather get gas and oil spilled on my face, eyes and hair than get ball joint/axle grease on any part of my body. I got it all over my hands and arms from taking the ball joints out, that stuff smells like ass and it doesnt clean off because its sooo thick. Now that im done venting.... im going to bed....
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Okay so after all this BS with Quaife, I finally got my LSD back on last week, I got my tranny back today but I also kinda injured myself today, nothing major just some serious neck stain, hopefully tomorrow I will feel better and I can get this biatch back together. My plan is to have it on the road by sunday.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    damn that sucks. get better so you can finish this project.

Okay so last night I was feeling a better, it was about 7pm and I figured, wtf, why not try and put my tranny back in the car. So I get the other tranny out very quickly as it only had two bolts holding it in and there is no clutch or flywheel on the motor, so it slides right off. I put the 5 speed pilot bushing into the crank, so far so good, put on those factory 3g "spacers" for the flywheel and bolt up my brand new 3g fidanza flywheel. Fidanza sent it to me with their own hardware and advised to use their hardware as the stock 3g 5 speed bolts wont work. So I compared and they are right, the stock bolts are too short as the fidanza is thicker than the stock flywheel. So I use the fidanza bolts, im slowly torquing them in a criss cross pattern, as I go to torque one of the bolts, the motor spins over, WTF? Yeah thats right, the bolt is bottomed out in the crank, yay fidanza for sending me bolts that are too long. So now its 8pm and I dont have the right bolts and the car is in the dirveway. So I put the crossmember back in the car and used a 4x4 from the crossmember to the pan to support the motor and pushed her back into the garage. Whats ghay is I had every intention of driving it on sunday, now im gonna order the bolts from mitsu today and I wont get them til monday, so yet again.....I wait.....
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Okay so last night I was feeling a better, it was about 7pm and I figured, wtf, why not try and put my tranny back in the car. So I get the other tranny out very quickly as it only had two bolts holding it in and there is no clutch or flywheel on the motor, so it slides right off. I put the 5 speed pilot bushing into the crank, so far so good, put on those factory 3g "spacers" for the flywheel and bolt up my brand new 3g fidanza flywheel. Fidanza sent it to me with their own hardware and advised to use their hardware as the stock 3g 5 speed bolts wont work. So I compared and they are right, the stock bolts are too short as the fidanza is thicker than the stock flywheel. So I use the fidanza bolts, im slowly torquing them in a criss cross pattern, as I go to torque one of the bolts, the motor spins over, WTF? Yeah thats right, the bolt is bottomed out in the crank, yay fidanza for sending me bolts that are too long. So now its 8pm and I dont have the right bolts and the car is in the dirveway. So I put the crossmember back in the car and used a 4x4 from the crossmember to the pan to support the motor and pushed her back into the garage. Whats ghay is I had every intention of driving it on sunday, now im gonna order the bolts from mitsu today and I wont get them til monday, so yet again.....I wait.....

sorry to hear... goodluck

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    can't you cut the bolt?

fawk man. sorry to hear! hope those bolts get to you soon!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    can't you cut the bolt?
    Grade 10.9 hardened steel. I would probably ruin a cutting wheel/blade for each bolt, plus run the risk of screwing it up.

The good news is that I ordered bolts today and the guy said I should have them tomorrow, still wont be driving sunday, but maybe monday.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

New fidanza flywheel, ACT 6 puck clutch and tranny with my fixed LSD are finally back into the car as of sunday night.

So I got a little bit more done today. Let me tell you, I normally work 7am-3pm but my buddy is on his honeymoon so I have to cover his shift which is 10-6:30 and it SUCKS. By the time I get home with the traffic its like 8pm. This is really screwing me up with the car because by time I get home its starting to get dark, I can only do under hood stuff in the garage because of how cluttered it is, I still need to get the car in the air so I can run the wires to the inline pump and secure the hoses under the car. I also need to get there rear disc setup on the right rear, for now I have 3 wheel disc brakes....lol

So tonight I got the manifold, turbo, wastegate adapter, oil drain, hot side intercooler pipe 1 piece of the 3 piece downpipe back into the car. Im slowly chipping away at it. Tomorrow I plan to at least get the wiring done for the fuel pump and then get the rest of the downpipe back into place as well as the wastegate & dump tube and possibly even the intercooler pipes.

I am gonna be busting my @$$ for the next two weeks in effort to get this thing to the TGCNY meet and back home under its own power and not needing the help from a flatbed.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Adjustable end links arrived today, Im gonna try to install my coilovers and endlinks tomorrow, along with the right rear disc brake setup.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Okay the wastegte, dump tube and exhaust are done, the secondary fuel pump is almost completely wired up, all the fittings and lines are now installed, and mounted/supported.

Tommorow I get home regular time so im hoping to get the rear disc swap, rear sway bar and rear coilovers installed. That will leave me saturday afternoon to get the front suspension and intercooler pipes in place and get this biatch running.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    If you need any help Brian call me.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    no doubt brian... looking forward to seeing it at the bbq hell if you work fast enough maybee you can even paint it before then lmao you have a little over 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    no doubt brian... looking forward to seeing it at the bbq hell if you work fast enough maybee you can even paint it before then lmao you have a little over 2 weeks
    LOL

I wish Craig, its gonna look like a total shit heap for the meet on the inside and outside, but the engine bay will be good. I just got home, im heading outside to work on it now. No more 3 wheel disc brakes for me.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Okay rear disc swap is completed.

GOD DAMN I HATE MITSU AND THEIR SHITTY SWAYBAR LINKS!!!!

To make a long story short, I had to cut them off, I coudlnt install the new swaybar or bushings tonight, im hoping I can grab some endlinks from the dealer tomorrow, my fingers are crossed that they have them in stock
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Okay, so I got alot of stuff done last night and today.

Intercooler pipes are all back in and clamped down, all wiring is tucked as best it can be for now, I got that big wire loom that normally goes on the intake manifold tucked, so thats cool. Installed the rear sway bar, new bushings and endlinks. Installed the megan coilovers, bled the clutch, installed the EVO throttle cable. I re-routed the oil cooler lines and oil feed line, got them secured into place. I also adjusted and installed my new front swaybar end links.

I would have been able to start it tonight, but I was trying to install the -4AN fitting on the oil feed and when I was tightening the hose end fitting, the barb snapped right off, I hate assembling the small fittings, they are soo fragile. So I cant get another one til tomorrow after work. Once I finish that line, all I gotta do is fill her up with gas, oil and tranny gear oil and I can fire her up.

99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast