The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: beam514's 99 Galant: 3.5L Swap

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Showing results 221 to 240 of 551
    awww snap adrian! 5 spd 6g74! props bro! it is worth every penny.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory8g View Post
    awww snap adrian! 5 spd 6g74! props bro! it is worth every penny.
    lets hope its worth all the frustration too :-P

flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate are all mounted. Still have to remove the cables, put in the 5 speed cables, then raise the transmission and get that all bolted in. I filled my front and rear motor mounts yesterday so I hope they'll be all settled by tomorrow.

I hope to be receiving my intermediate shaft and clutch pedal tomorrow, but to be honest I don't know the status of my order. I'll give the junkyard a call tomorrow.

okay axle and clutch were shipped out yesterday (wednesday) so hopefully I'll receive them friday so that I can drive the damn thing before I head up to San Francisco. If it comes on saturday, I have to wait until monday to finish everything up

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    have u asked tj for a bj

received the clutch pedal and intermediate shaft today. Measured the intermediate shaft and there's hardly any visible to the eye difference in length, though it is about 1/4" shorter I think

anyway I installed the clutch pedal. I gotta figure out how the hell lines route because the hardlines hit the strut tower. Anyway have any pics of how they are running the hard lines?
    NVM I think I got them

Hoping to raise the 5 speed in tonight
    Oh and I need new CV boots too :(
    Last edited by beam514; 12-21-2009 at 06:52 PM

Awesome!! Have fun raising hte 5-speed in there Adrian! Make sure you have a couple extra sets of hands.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Awesome!! Have fun raising hte 5-speed in there Adrian! Make sure you have a couple extra sets of hands.
    I'll have just my dad helping me haha. Maybe I'll call another friend too who knows

I had only a friend who couldve possibly curled the transmission into place help me. lol

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

well I do have an engine hoist.... but its holding the weight of the engine itself. LOL

5 speed is mated to the engine. I used the engine hoist to lift up the transmission into place. That thing is a BITCH to line up with the engine. It kept hitting the pressure plate.. got it all scraped up :( but whatever

Plan for tomorrow is:
    Day: clean, put all the mounts in place, reattach starter motor, raise up the entire assembly again, bolt it to the mounts, attach the shifter cables, run the clutch lines

Night: reattach the axles, fill clutch lines, bleed clutch, flush transmission with cheapo gear oil, then fill with Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90

then.. start her up?! I hope

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Sounds good man! Its gonna be sick :)
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    5 speed is mated to the engine. I used the engine hoist to lift up the transmission into place. That thing is a BITCH to line up with the engine. It kept hitting the pressure plate.. got it all scraped up :( but whatever

Plan for tomorrow is:
    Day: clean, put all the mounts in place, reattach starter motor, raise up the entire assembly again, bolt it to the mounts, attach the shifter cables, run the clutch lines

Night: reattach the axles, fill clutch lines, bleed clutch, flush transmission with cheapo gear oil, then fill with Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90

then.. start her up?! I hope
    Dont use the synthetic gear oil. It is GL-5 and it is bad for the synchros. Something in GL-5 is corrosive for the synchros in 3G transmissions. I would try and find some GL-4 or GL-4/GL-5/GL-3 compatible gear lube.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Dont use the synthetic gear oil. It is GL-5 and it is bad for the synchros. Something in GL-5 is corrosive for the synchros in 3G transmissions. I would try and find some GL-4 or GL-4/GL-5/GL-3 compatible gear lube.
    oh shoot thanks for the heads up. I was going to use pennzoil synchromesh but they only had 2 quarts. I'll go back today and see if I can make an exchange

Adrian you got all the wiring done for startup?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory8g View Post
    Adrian you got all the wiring done for startup?
    yea I did all the wiring the other day while I was sitting around waiting for an extra hand to be able to help me haha

Okay I lied. I'm still having trouble with the hardlines. They don't appear to be the right shape? I'm not even sure

Done!

there's some weird loud noise from the engine or transmission. can't really tell. I'm gonna drive it more today

and my poly filled mounts suck. I guess they didn't cure all the way through (even though they sat for a week) so they started oozing from the inside once it get really hot in the bay.

oh and I suck at driving. LOL

is it like a bearing noise like crackling/grinding? do you hear it at idle? do you hear it when driving? does it go in and out when you are in gear? Does it get louder with the RPM's? if so, we might have the same noise. lol

no its like a reciprocating tapping/thudding noise. I really can't tell. I torqued the flywheel and pressure plate correctly.. So I don't know. And I don't hear it at higher gears or speeds, only at like idol or maybe up to 1500 rpm

hmmm.. if it sounds like a knock then its a loose flywheel. But you would have a HUGE vibration.

could you get a video?

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast