The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: beam514's 99 Galant: 3.5L Swap

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 551
    Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    have u asked tj or bj
    03 I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    I posted it on MP earlier this morning. BJ's TB only had one vacuum actuator IIRC.

anyway plugging everything back in and I ran in to one problem:
    Back in SPD_FRK's thread I posted that both the IAC and TPS plugs on the Diamante TB were the same as those on the 6G72.. well I was wrong haha I guess the IAC was similar in shape, however it's different. Here are some pics:

6G72

Diamante

Lucky for me, the engine came with almost the complete harness hacked off (I guess they didn't want to unplug everything.. Also came with the alternator, AC, and power steering brackets. Guess I struck it rich haha). This is the Diamante plug connection.

6G72 plug connection connected to the harness

So I'm going to need to cut off the 6G72 plug connector and solder on the one from the Diamante. Just need to figure out the pins
    Last edited by beam514; 07-18-2009 at 02:35 PM

blue8g
    do work son!

I believe the 74 had slight differences over years and they went through a minor change (as far as the plenum and throttle body are concerned) in 2000 or so. Mine doesn't have the fitting you have circled in blue.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    I believe the 74 had slight differences over years and they went through a minor change (as far as the plenum and throttle body are concerned) in 2000 or so. Mine doesn't have the fitting you have circled in blue.
    Im thinking the years they started changing a few things was 2002.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You should make a How To thread about doing this swap.. List of parts, where to get them, how much.. etc. It should be made a sticky if you do because there are plenty of people out there who have tons of questions about this swap..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    You should make a How To thread about doing this swap.. List of parts, where to get them, how much.. etc. It should be made a sticky if you do because there are plenty of people out there who have tons of questions about this swap..
    There really isn't much more involved than swapping in another 6g72. Depending on the year of the donor motor there is very little modification.

Jeffylou, Matt is totally correct. the 74 is essentially the same. I was surprised at how similar it is actually. Luckily, mine came with the alternator and powersteering brackets (You need those from the 74)

For anyone wanting to do the swap that doesn't get the powersteering bracket, I may be selling mine as I deleted the PS

There is however a tutorial on club3g that I referenced quite a bit. Read the whole thing and all the little details. It really helps. Also helps to have a Haynes Manual (essentially it walks you through the steps of removing an engine)
    Right here: http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...74-engine.html

If you want me to start up a 3.5L swap thread though, I will do so

Hell, I just turned 18 in may, and the extent of my automotive experience was lowering my car back in December 2008. Prior to that, not much car knowledge. I did a hell of a lot of reading and re-reading though

for your first swap, i think you did a hell of a great job. makes me want an 8g to do that swap, lol.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide

thanks man :)

and so my plan was to have the car running by saturday.. which was yesterday. Ran into some problems though. One of them was the IAC plug which i previously stated. Also, I'm using the stock intake tubing up until the MAF for now. Had to hack off the little water catch box near the bend at the TB as it wouldn't fit b/c it was hitting the brake fluid reservoir. Also I was planning on putting the battery on the shelf where the old air filter box used to be, but the damn filter I bought is HUGE and the stock intake piping angles it right to that shelf.. and there is not enough room for the battery tray in the old position. Need to maybe get a smaller battery or something (getting a new battery anyway) and slim down the stock tray

Have you considered relocating the battery to the trunk? It's planned for my swap. I think it would be a great way to make room and clean up the engine bay at the same time. Just a possible suggestion. But you are doing great so far, keep it up. I can't wait to see this thing run!

Yea I was thinking about that. I need to look up how to do a battery relocation though. I would have to drill into the firewall for the new wires correct? (that kind of scares me)... but I guess I have come this far haha

Either that, or else you could run wires through your inner fender with your harness that goes to the dash.

Found this picture that Fred posted long ago, but you will see which wires I'm talking about. You can still access these with only the inner fender removed.

A battery re-location will look great. I'm also thinking of doing in in my stratus because of the up coming 74 swap. The picture M-rod posted is the way i'm going to be routing my wires, very good place to run them.

I guess I could get this?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1200A/
    Once I run it through the fender and in through the dash, I guess I have to run it under the carpet and then somehow in to the trunk? Some guys appear to be running it on the side of the frame rails.. which doesn't seem like the brightest idea to me for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    I guess I could get this?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1200A/
    Once I run it through the fender and in through the dash, I guess I have to run it under the carpet and then somehow in to the trunk? Some guys appear to be running it on the side of the frame rails.. which doesn't seem like the brightest idea to me for some reason

I would get that one, and yes you can pull the door sills up and pull the carpet back and run the wire along the floor under the carpet. Just make sure you make sure its not going to be anywhere in harms way like near seat bolt down points, under the trunk release, running under any sharp edges. It will be just like running amp wiring for a sub woofer but more important lol :D

Okay so I had my brother go buy a Braille battery at a performance shop near his house. I Guess I'll have to fab up some kind of custom battery tray b/c the stock one doesn't fit as it hits the 6G74's distributor. Also, there's no room on the little driverside shelf. So I will be getting that tonight, and finishing up my ghetto-intake, and then it should be good to go

Also, does NO ONE have any thoughts on the extra vacuum actuator? and the extra fitting on the back of the plenum?

okay the car is running!!! using a Braille battery on the modified OEM battery tray. Car sounds REALLY good. Kinda hard to turn with no power steering, but I'll get used to it

Videos will be up tonight!

SO this is now unofficially the 2nd 6G74 swapped Galant in the nation :)

sweet. i hope to be number three. well see. congrats dude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71ePXdsdZQ

First start :D

Quote Originally Posted by 00galantguy View Post
    sweet. i hope to be number three. well see. congrats dude!
    do you already have the block and everything? it seems that there's quite a few people right now trying to get this done

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast