The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: beam514's 99 Galant: 3.5L Swap

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 551
    Nice bro. Whats next?

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Not really sure actually.. I leave for college in september, so I don't know if I have enough time to get anything else done at the moment. can't bring all my tools either as I'll be staying in the dorms

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    nice congrads
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    Not really sure actually.. I leave for college in september, so I don't know if I have enough time to get anything else done at the moment. can't bring all my tools either as I'll be staying in the dorms
    In that case let me have your galant and I will give you mine you wont tell the difference I promise.

Experienced TGC Member
    Looks like you have done a good job with the install man. I noticed you had a couple issues with things, but hopefully have them straightened out.

I was also going to relocate the battery to the trunk but instead mounted the stock battery tray on the driver's side shelf within the engine compartment. You would need to bolt it down to the shelf (and in fact can make use of the existing holes there). Thjere is plenty of clearance between the terminals and the hood so there weren't any issues with that location;

With the vacuum port on the rear portion of the intake manifold I would assume that has to be for part of the EGR system. You could easily hook that up directly to the EGR valve when you go to emissions so you are bypassing the electrical solenoid. Once you have done your emissions you can simply cap the vacuum port and block the EGR port on the system.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

congrats dude! i love that first start feeling! scary but exciting non the less!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

thanks guys :) jimmy its too bad I couldn't finish it for MOD haha

SPD_FRK, I was actually planning on doing exactly that with the battery tray, but once I mounted the stock intake piping I realized that there's no way in hell that a battery would fit there cause the fuckin huge K&N filter takes up pretty much the whole shelf. I basically hacked off part of the stock battery tray to fit in its normal mounting spot, then I bought a Braille battery. I still need to drill some holes to allow for battery tie downs, but for now its actually planted pretty well with some painters' tape (hahaha.. trying to not take any corners too fast)

I will post pics and vids of it running smoothly soon

Experienced TGC Member
    thanks guys :) jimmy its too bad I couldn't finish it for MOD haha

SPD_FRK, I was actually planning on doing exactly that with the battery tray, but once I mounted the stock intake piping I realized that there's no way in hell that a battery would fit there cause the fuckin huge K&N filter takes up pretty much the whole shelf. I basically hacked off part of the stock battery tray to fit in its normal mounting spot, then I bought a Braille battery. I still need to drill some holes to allow for battery tie downs, but for now its actually planted pretty well with some painters' tape (hahaha.. trying to not take any corners too fast)

I will post pics and vids of it running smoothly soon
    Are you running a CAI or a Short Ram? I am fabbing my own CAI system, but too frequently I see a lot of folks here running the short ram intakes...not big for sucking in hot air myself, but colder air is always better IMO.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Congrats Adrian! I'm glad to see it's running. Did you end up using the heads from the 74, or did you swap over the heads from your 72?
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Matt, I used the heads from the 74. In fact I never even removed them. I was getting tons of lifter tick and my valves were leaking tons of oil on the old 72. This swap was pretty much routine maintenance on the 6G74 (new timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, spark plugs, and gaskets for anything that was removed), throw it in the Galant, and go.

The intake is the stock intake piping up until the MAF. I hacked off the water catch box near the throttle body because it was hitting the brake fluid resevoir and covered that up. The angle of the piping makes it so that the filter sits right on the shelf. This is temporary to keep the engine bay as stock looking as possible so I can pass emissions.

As for the rear vacuum port. I am not quite understanding what you are saying about the EGR. I basically have it set up like the picture below which is actually a diagram for the 6G72. I have made a red dot for where the extra vacuum port is on the Diamante plenum

Before and after photo's:

Experienced TGC Member
    I have been looking through alldata here at work now for a few minutes. Going from 1999-2004 Diamante models the intake manifold, and vacuum routing are all identical and have no indication/mention of the fitting on the rear side of your manifold.

The only thing I can take a stab at here (based on what I can/cant see in the two photos, and no vacuum line routed to the FPR shown), is that the port may be for the FPR, but there should be one on the side facing the front of the vehicle. Now if there is one there, then forget about this...but right now I am scratching my own head trying to figure it out.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    The only thing I can take a stab at here (based on what I can/cant see in the two photos, and no vacuum line routed to the FPR shown), is that the port may be for the FPR, but there should be one on the side facing the front of the vehicle. Now if there is one there, then forget about this...but right now I am scratching my own head trying to figure it out.
    yeap there is one on the "front" of the plenum connected to the FPR, its just hard to see in all the mess. *shrug* the rear port is just plugged with some electrical tape right now lol

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Nice job on the car man, keep up the good work.

I think you will be fine with that plugged on the back of the plenum. Here is the routing for the 1998 style which will be more similar to our 1999 6G72 Galants.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

yea the car is running just fine with no CELs or anything with that rear port plugged. I need to find something more permanent to plug it though. The electrical tape isn't going to cut it..

anyway I went to a muffler shop to get an estimate on welding on my Magnaflow, and I guess they had time to do it right then so they welded it on for 60 bucks. Its actually not too loud (at least from inside the car) when driving normally. Part # 14827
    I will take pics and vids tomorrow when its light out

yea the car is running just fine with no CELs or anything with that rear port plugged. I need to find something more permanent to plug it though. The electrical tape isn't going to cut it..

anyway I went to a muffler shop to get an estimate on welding on my Magnaflow, and I guess they had time to do it right then so they welded it on for 60 bucks. Its actually not too loud (at least from inside the car) when driving normally. Part # 14827
    Definitely get some videos of the car with the new exhaust.

So what do you think of the 6G74 so far?
    So are you running the injectors from the 6G72? don't remember what you said you were going to do.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Yea, I'll get some vids as soon as possible with my lil canon SD750.. i wanted to get some vids of the stock exhaust to compare it but when the shop said they could get it done right then I jumped on the deal haha

and I'm using the stock 6G72 injectors. To be honest I've been going reallllly easy on the engine for the past couple of days. Have yet to really open up. I have my first free day tomorrow without work though so I am gonna go for a nice drive :)

Put a piece of vacuum line with a screw in it. For that extra seal you could wrap the threads of the screw with teflon tape and it should hold just fine.

ohhh great idea. I actually have form-a-gasket so I'll just use that and let it dry

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast