The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evolution -G-rim: The build Thread (Pics Galore)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 133
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

The Night Fury Project (Formally Project Grim)

I am biting this idea off Seth from his new green 7g build thread. I just thought it would be cool to have a thread for anyone that is interested to go to and see how -G-rim went from a normal everyday looking stock Galant to what it is currently. Build threads are fun to read and look at and its like a autobiography for those that may be interested and for me to look back at its humble beginnings.

ALL my modifications to the car will be posted here with pics.

Enjoy.

1996 Mitsubishi Galant "S"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/14/2004

Valentines day 2004 (My gift from my now fiance after a year 1/2 when I was forced to get rid of my 95 Galant)

Gave the car a full detail the next day

Got rid of the stock 14" steelies with 94-96 "LS/GS" 15" alloy wheels

Took the car to the track after a full tune up. The stock clutch was slipping, so no impressive times

My best time was 16.8...I am 0629

After about 7 months I started to modify the car transferring some parts I was able to salvage from my 95 Galant. Did the 97-98 front end conversion with my first fabricated front lip. Installed the Skunk2 coilovers with the KYB AGX's and stiff bars. Painted the "LS/GS" wheels bronze and installed my "K-spec" black housing headlights

Finished pics

I finally installed the JDM VR4 taillights that I were sitting in the closet for almost 2 years after I installed the M3 trunk lip spoiler. Got a great deal on some 18x7.5 Racing Hart Evolution wheels and custom painted the spokes bronze

Afternoon pics

Smoked my front turn signal lens and rear side marker lens with transparent vinyl tape

When I was working at a Toyota dealership I was going on lunch. To make it short and simple..a punk ass MOFO made a illegal over the speed limit turn in a lifted Tacoma and his wheel/tire hit the front of my Galant Had to replace 1 grille, the header bar and new front bumper

Installed a CNC machined short shifter from a 2g Eclipse and installed the JDM VR4 sideskirts

The BIG change where I kept on the DL for awhile. I had gathered all the parts I needed to turbo -G-rim and took a weeks vacation to do the install. Did the installation in my fiance's brothers garage myself with the only exception for the I/C piping which my friend teached me how to weld the piping and the exhaust was done at a shop

Installed the JDM VR4 spoiler first and slapped on the 18x7.5 Racing Hart C2's on the rear wheels

Starting removing stuff and proceeded to make the brackets to hold the FMIC

Very early the morning before I started tearing down the car I had majority of the back end of the exhaust done with 3" piping all the way to the end of the catylitic converter. I had to cut off where they welded so I could remove the OEM header and cat converter. It wasn't fun at all due to the small space I had to work with and going through 2 cutting wheels. Since alot of the bolts and studs were severely rusted it was useless to remove sections of the front exhaust.

Did my own porting so decided to port the exhaust manifold and exhaust ports on the cylinder head.

Installed the FMIC, polished and ported stock fuel rail, and injectors

Installed the manifold and turbo

Swapped the N/A oil pan with the turbo oil pan. Installed the Meagan 3 inch stainless steel downpipe and turbo oil feed line

Installed the TEIN front upper pillowball mounts

The car was basically ready..all it needed was I/C piping and the exhaust done. Towed the car to my friends house to get the I/C piping made and installed. It took 2 days mostly because the couplers didn't come in on time and some of the piping we needed we couldn't get till next day

My friends White Evo VIII at the time was making 500+ awhp and awtrq

I/C piping finally done...so it time to finish the rest of the exhaust. 3" piping all the way from the downpipe to the muffler. I had to get a custom 3 inch flange made so I could bolt the back half of the exhaust to the end of the downpipe. I didn't want it welded just in case I needed to remove the downpipe completely

My personal quality inspector

Now I had to cut the reinforcment bar to clear the FMIC. Had to cut a good chunk of the front bumper to accomodate the FMIC too.

Finished pics after the turbo install. Modified a DC2 Integra Type R front lip to the 97-98 front bumper

Got the valve cover powdercoated red along with other small things

Was looking for a particular style of yellow foglights. Out of all the places I looked I found the exact ones I was looking for the in the clearance section at Walmart

Garaged the car after moving into my house for a total new rebuild

Last edited by 4-G-rim; 11-08-2011 at 07:53 PM Reason: New project name

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Wow! Nice! Good work. This really makes me want to trade my daily 8G for a 7G .

The big engine build was postponed because my GVR4 was my daily and the clutch went out and some other things so I had to get -G-rim running again. I put the old motor back in and freshened it up with new seals, pulley's and timing belt so I can have it running again

Got -G-rim running again this time with a Evo III 16g from my GVR4. Gone are the 18" Racing Harts and replaced with 5zigen wheels, custom fabricated "GTO" rear bumper valance pieces

Installed a JDM 8g VR4 oem strut bar and new goodies getting ready to be installed

Last edited by 4-G-rim; 02-26-2009 at 03:07 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Nice progress. Keep it updated with all the new upgrades :)
    7g for life!

Dude you are really making it hard for me to let go of my GS, everytime you and DOHC do these type of brief history things you guys make me want to do so many things in such llittle time, your guys are the ones that have kept me into my car all this time showing me the potential of my GS. I have been thinking about whats my next move and for some reason i dont want to get rid of my Galant due to so many memories but at the same time its time for me to move on into something bigger. Well man good luck with your process and keep up the good work, I love your ride man.
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    good work man.

awesome documentation. i wish i could have done that with my car also

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    ^^^i agree both cars are looking great cant wait to see her when she is all done

wow nice journal.both cars do look awsome
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

life history of your g man, I been gone for two years and your g has still not miss a beat.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    all ive got to say is wow. ive never liked a 7G so much until now. if done rite it can look soo awesome

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Love the write up.

Thank you for the comments...but I would also like to thank those that continue to do what they do with their Galants, keeps me motivated in a way. Took some better pics of the car since I found our digital camera. I am looking to install the suspension stuff this week...latest next week. Planning on doing a top engine clean (intake manifold, runners, and combustion chamber) to clean up the carbon build up. I will take pics when I do that...I am curious how much white smoke will shoot out this time?

My garage
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 02-26-2009 at 03:07 PM

I cant wait to get my house so my garage would look like that. Damn man, i would love to get my hands on a 6g and 7g like that, i finish paying my 8g in two months. i was planning on getting a 7g next, tell me something, which year should i get?

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

Quote Originally Posted by silver01g View Post
    I cant wait to get my house so my garage would look like that. Damn man, i would love to get my hands on a 6g and 7g like that, i finish paying my 8g in two months. i was planning on getting a 7g next, tell me something, which year should i get?
    Not sure...depends I guess what you want to do with it. Performance wise...probably 96-98 since if you plan to go DOHC or coil type ignition its a relatively "easy" mod to accomodate.

If you are blessed like DOHCstnr and Joaltava and own a "GS".

If you are looking to go with the JDM theme...then 94-96 only because of the rear tails, to which the JDM's bolt up with no problem while the 97-98's require you to switch out the trunk lid for 94-96. Also the 94-96 have the "T" header bar already to work for the JDM front bumpers...the 97-98 were only USDM issue so you would have to use the 94-96.

Really depends what you want to do.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    i falling in love with ur g
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 12-01-2008 at 11:30 PM
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Wow! Nice! Good work. This really makes me want to trade my daily 8G for a 7G .
    i know u must be joking! lol

motivation...............thats it for me, bro ur g is on point. I just got my evo3 turbo polished with chopped fins and i just need a few other parts for my turbo build. Looking real good keep up the good work.
    Nobody built like u, u desighn ur self.

5spd swap
    full custom body conversion
    18x9 Works VS
    Big 16g evo3T next project

im going for the JDM look. im leaving the 6g for the proformance part. my 7 and 8g will just be mainly looks. plus the wife will be driving the 7g, so cant really do to much mods. so for the JDM way a 94-96 you said? is you front bumper JDM or a 97-98? i want a JDM look but ive notice only one style for the front bumper and i really dont like the round fogs they come with, are there others style?

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Thanks man, you and Seth are getting me motivated again. Your threads and nice weather make me want to hurry and get my G finished. These history threads, are a good idea. kind of brings new people up to date with what people have pioneered.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast