The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: IAC bad or something else?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

IAC bad or something else?

Started having problems with idle dropping too low when the engine is fully warm a few months ago. Cleaned throttle body, car had about 70k miles so did full major service-plugs, wires, cap, etc plus it needed "plug tubes" and valve cover gaskets. Still have same idle problem. Tech says he can't find any vacuum leak. I had him turn the idle up enough that when it drops to its lowest (around 500rpm, then will bounce back up to 600-doesnt' do it every time I stop, though) point it won't stall. The thing is, the only time it triggers the check engine light is when it's fully warm and I put it into park and after about a minute it throws the light. Light goes out after a couple of days. Code says it's the IAC. Seems to me that the computer sees the higher than normal idle and throws the light. Since that's the only time it does it, I'm not convinced enough yet to pay for a new IAC. Could something else be wrong and causing the IAC to malfunction, or will I have to suck it up and buy a new one (ouch)? Don't want to spend that much cash and then still have the problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    When you cleaned you throttle body, did you cover the air bypass passages to the IAC??? if you didn't and got cleaner or whatever you used in there, it will damage it. It's always a good idea to remove the IAC motor before cleaning your throttle body. You most likely damaged it.

It's not just the throttle cleaner, any dirt or grime seeping into those small passages may damage the IAC. Dust and grime form in the throttle body first, if left unchecked, it will then seep into the passage. If you purchase a new IAC from the stealership it will cost around $250, you can also find recently used ones from a junkyard for much lower price. It sux, it looks like a big problem but yet for a small device.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    When you cleaned you throttle body, did you cover the air bypass passages to the IAC??? if you didn't and got cleaner or whatever you used in there, it will damage it. It's always a good idea to remove the IAC motor before cleaning your throttle body. You most likely damaged it.
    I was having the idle problem before the throttle body was cleaned, so if the IAC is bad it happened before the cleaning. The cleaning was the first try at fixing the idle problem