The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Questions

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Turbo Questions

Ok its been awhile since i have posted. In the mean time I've been saving money and now it has finally come time to do some shopping. Almost every day I have read threw the forums both here and on galantforums.com trying to find out as much info as i could on how to turbo the 4g64. I now have a greater understanding on how things work with FI and the do's and don't s. I've also bought 2 books about turbos along the way and constantly read them in my free time. Now that I've done my research and have a better understanding of FI I think it would be ok for me to ask some questions about the turbo set-up im thinking of. Most of my parts i got planned consist of eBay which brings me to my first question.
    1. How trust worthy is eBay? and are truly getting good parts for your money?
    2. if it is trust worthy and good quality then would this turbo kit that goes for less then $1200 be worth it? item # 380006706471
    3.What gauge pillar pod fits an 8g?
    4.Are there any mayor must do's and and pre required parts before turboing the 4g64?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 716GalantES View Post
    1. How trust worthy is eBay? and are truly getting good parts for your money?
    2. if it is trust worthy and good quality then would this turbo kit that goes for less then $1200 be worth it? item # 380006706471
    3.What gauge pillar pod fits an 8g?
    4.Are there any mayor must do's and and pre required parts before turboing the 4g64?

1. You can get good parts from eBay, you just have to know what you are buying.

2. My advice is, dont buy a turbo as a kit. It will be better if you build your own kit. Those eBay kits are crap.

3. There is not one out there that is a direct fit for the 8G.

4. It all depends....

5. try searching because I know there are alot of discussions here about turbo. Just look thru 8g performance thread. Good luck!

everything is a must do for FI.. You can do stages or all at once -- ofcourse u need a 2.5in or bigger exhaust which u can do before ne thing else.. You can do fuel setup first - ie injectors, fuel pump, management, regulator and so forth.. then do the turbo install -- exhaust mani, dp, drill tap for oil and run all oil and coolant lines and gauges - piping IC and all.. thats not an exact list of course but thats what i mean by stages.. I prefer to take a weekend and do everything but some do otherwise.. Piping is the difficult part as ur probably gonna get a lot of custom pipes and exhaust done so.....
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Ok thanks guys! i guess now its ok to state my setup and get inputs. First off im going for handling and 2 weeks from now when i get my tax return i'm planning on getting Tein SS coilovers with pillowball mounts, DC sport front strut bar, ADDCO rear sway bar. After i was thinking of eithier going for smaller mods such as intake and muffler or Fuel. But after reading input here and other peoples turbo setups, fuel is key. So im planning on getting a Walbro 190 fuel pump, aeromotive AFPR, WRX injecters, and still unsure of what kind of fuel rail? any suggestions? after fuel its a AEM cold air intake with a K&N filter, Megan Cat, Magnacore wires, NGK spark plugs, Optiuma red top or yellow top haven't decided yet. But these are all the pre turbo mods so far i got planned. Now the question, is there anything that would help besides completely rebuilding the block that i missed? if so what? And for turbo managment i got AEM EMS tune along with a dyno tune, Greddy Boost controller, Greddy Turbo timer, EGT guage, Boost gauge, and A/F Meter aka AEM EUGO. But i guess the real question is with these mods how much boost could i push safely?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

on stock internals? dont go over 10psi max if you dont plan on beefing up your internals any time soon there after
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Walbro 190 fuel pump - Get the 255 right of the bat
    aeromotive AFPR - OK
    WRX injecters - get dsm or evo 560cc injectors
    and still unsure of what kind of fuel rail - Stock works just fine, just use a tearstone ruturn line adapter
    AEM cold air intake with a K&N filter - OK
    Megan Cat - OK
    Magnacore wires - OK
    NGK spark plugs - http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cr...R7ES&x=57&y=11
    Optiuma red top or yellow top haven't decided yet. - doesn't really make a difference
    AEM EMS - complete overkill, evo ecu +ecuflash is your best bet.
    Greddy Boost controller - don't really need one depending on the stock wastegate of a turbo still an overkill
    Greddy Turbo timer - OK
    EGT guage - don't need one
    Boost gauge - ok
    AEM EUGO - OK!

Now depending on the turbo and the tune i'd say you'll have no problem running 12psi for dd. Thats what i'm doing all day long :)

Get ALL the electronics figured out first, then the fuel, then the intercooler, then and only then you install the turbo.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

egt guage isnt a must? I would thinks so since you want to know what your exhaust temps were, especially for a first run!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

nah its a waste these days in my opinion, with an aem eugo you'll know your afrs. so what the point??? Every person i've asked while i was building my system said its worthless really. Now if you are using an safc2 for a tune and you don't know your afrs then its a must.

ah ok right right the eugo does give you those stats so it would be pointless. lol well guess I know what I am getting on my build lol. i was thinking safc2 before so thats why i was like o_O but anyways good info!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    EGT gauge is no more then a warning gauge. YOU SHOULD NOT TUNE WITH AN EGT GAUGE.
    7g for life!

2nerGalant03
    Can I install a intercooler prior to the turbo and have it actually working or would that harm the engine?

Welcome to TGC, PLEASSEE PLEASEE search everything about a turbo or a supercharger here on tgc and club3g.com before you ask any more questions like that.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    AEM EMS - complete overkill, evo ecu +ecuflash is your best bet.
    HATER!

LOL..... Yeah for what your trying to do, AEM EMS is a big waste of money. At this stage, your money is best spent on other essential parts like the ones listed above.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS