The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing a 2.4 SOHC, '01 Galant

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    edselsouth1

Timing a 2.4 SOHC, '01 Galant

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I have a 2001 Galant, 2.4 L, 16 valve, SOHC. A new timing belt, balance shaft belt , crank sensor, cam sensor, and injectors have just been installed on this engine. The engine starts up properly, but the throttle response is very slow (almost as if timing is retarded), and it is hard to get the engine up to 2000-2500 rpm, before it starts to spit, backfire, and just plain runs very poorly. First question: Where are the timing marks for this engine? I have timed the balance belt with the arrows and notches as marked on the case and on the gears . This belt was not damaged, but it was replaced anyhow. There appears to be no problem with aligning those marks. The main timing belt was aligned as follows: Cam gear marked notch at the top, aligned with the hash mark on the valve cover end surface. Crankshaft blade notch aligned with the raised mark on the case, about 10 o'clock. Oil pump gear mark aligned with the raised mark on the case, about 10 o'clock. Belt installed, and tensioned. Recheck all marks, and they appear to be spot on. Second question: Is the crankshaft mark aligned properly, or should the balancer notch be aligned to the lower cover TDC mark instead of the crank blade notch alignment to the case mark? If someone can post a picture it would be extremely helpful. Thanks, David.

timing

i did my belts one in a 98 and one in my 00 and i used the nothch in the crank shaft sensor , the one on the crank shaft cover never seems to align perfectly anyways

TGC Regular
    Well welcome to the Galant Center. Most of the experienced people will look at this thread and read what your car is doing and cringe... Sounds Strangely fimiliar ... Does it run like per say.. This ?

I appoligize for the HORRIBLE video.

Video 1. Starting, And idle.

Video 2. givving it a little gas and gently persuading her to run better ( it dont work. Telling it to fix itself lol )

This is when my "Camshaft Reluctor" was bad, and i was trying everything trying to get it to run right. The Reluctor is what cause my car to die. But not Run off time.

There were other reasons for my car dying. Lets just say, She was a brave little guinee pig ;)

Anyway that you can get a video of your car ? i could get a better idea if i heard it. I may know exactly what is wrong.
    Is that anything like your experiencing ?
    Last edited by Eclipse97526; 03-27-2008 at 12:13 PM

tps?

sound like your throttle position sensor is bad