The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: projection lesnes

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

projection lesnes

Ive done some searching and have come up empty handed. Im looking to put hid projectors in my headlights. Not going to do halo's cause they are not my thing. But i would like to try and get the most out of my HID's and having the projectors makes a big diffrence. Has anyone tried it on the 7g and do you guys think it is possible. Im planning on ordering a retrofit projector set for a hundai tiberon. looking at how they are i can see that i would be able to fab up a way to use them in the 7g headlight. But i dont know how to disassemble the headlight lense and what you use to reglue them. Im thinking that i could bake them in the oven for a little while at around 200 degrese farenhight which would not be enough to hurt the plastic and would soften the glue enough to disassemble the lense.

So basically i am looking for imput on my plan if its a cool idea or if it sucks.

Let me know your thoughts and imput.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 08-15-2009 at 02:55 AM

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Well you can do it, depoautolights did a prototype set.

Its certainly possible, when and if you do it make sure you DO NOT have the oven on when you put the headlights in. You just need to preheat to 350 then shut off the oven letting the headlights sit inside because the radiant heat left will be enough to release the glue on the headlights.

As far as disassembling the headlights, baking is the preferred technique. Just check on them here and there, and take your time opening them. Its practically the first couple steps you'd take to clear the corners. You could follow the same tutorial for reassembly, silicone sealing. As far as projectors,very few people have done so. I'm not too familiar with your car so I'm assuming you have USDM lights. Ericbla has fabbed up cibbie style,dual halo lights for the 7G too. Look up the member 'SuperGalant' for pics. But uh, its definitely possible. You can even follow the 8G projector tutorial, as far as technique, to fit and fiberglass the projectors into the headlights.

Just take your time, but its pretty straightforward once you've become familiar with the steps before touching anything.

the opening of the headlights, you want to put a damp towel on the cookie sheet then put the headlight on it. that way you soften the glue faster, and opening the headlight will be easier. as per the retrofit I would say maybe contacting someone like ericbla?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

i prefer to use a heat gun when opening up the headlight. my $10 harbor freight heat gun hasn't dissapointed me yet. but yea, with a heat gun there is no worrying about forgetting the headlight is in the oven or something like that. with the heat gun the heat is in your hands, you can control where you want to focus the heat and when to stop. you don't have to guess when the glue is soft enough. i usually just have the heat gun with one and and something to pry the headlight open in the other. just work your way around til you got the entire lens out.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    i prefer to use a heat gun when opening up the headlight. my $10 harbor freight heat gun hasn't dissapointed me yet. but yea, with a heat gun there is no worrying about forgetting the headlight is in the oven or something like that. with the heat gun the heat is in your hands, you can control where you want to focus the heat and when to stop. you don't have to guess when the glue is soft enough. i usually just have the heat gun with one and and something to pry the headlight open in the other. just work your way around til you got the entire lens out.

I actually used the heat gun, but didnt work so well. Maybe didnt try hard enough - will do again.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I have used the heat gun before and was not impressed. If you are placing headlights in an oven and forget about them, you a freaking moron and should shoot yourself in the head immediately.. I have done about 10 sets of headlights with the oven method and it works great. Some use heat guns and work great and some use oven. Both methods work, just find the one that works for you, just dont try and race it...it's not a Camaro.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Headlight baking is something I recommend and have great success with.

Preheat oven @ 250 degrees--place headlight assembly in oven--bake headlight for 15mins (Set timer if your oven has one)--take out headlight and modify--to reassemble, place both lens and housing in oven again for 15mins--take out and reassemble--apply pressure to lens to housing--let headlight assembly cool down.

Now back to subject about 7g projector lights, if its produced the lens has to be totally clear unlike the reflector type ridged lens.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I have a buddy who works at a prototype company and he is working on some clear lenses for projector lights. if its works out, he can produce some for anybody that is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    if its produced the lens has to be totally clear unlike the reflector type ridged lens.
    very true, the reflectors would just mess up the projectors beam and end up looking dumb behind all the reflectors. i like the idea though. if they can be prototyped, and set up well, i would love a set.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide