The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anitfreeze

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Anitfreeze

Hey guys, I have an extremely slow coolant leak on my 4 cyl 8g. I filled it last march and a minor overheating problem went away. The car is starting to run warm at lights and such again and I bought antifreeze again. My question is how much do I fill it up to in the resevoir and should I add some into the radiator? Thanks in advance and I used to search but to no avail.

Fill the radiator until you can see the fluid at the top, and the reservoir should have a fill line on it.

Make sure your engine is cold because antifreeze expands when heated. You don't want to waste more antifreeze.

Ok so when it cools down I will add it straight to the radiator. The owners manual said when the engine is cool the resevoir should be between the full and fill line. Very vague, so I guess fill it somewhere in between and the radiator and I should be good?

Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    Ok so when it cools down I will add it straight to the radiator. The owners manual said when the engine is cool the resevoir should be between the full and fill line. Very vague, so I guess fill it somewhere in between and the radiator and I should be good?
    Yes. And find the leak!

if your coolant isn't premixed, at least have the proper water to coolant ratio

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I put in premixed prestone antifreeze. I haven't even noticed any puddles or drips whether or not the car is idling after being used or its cold. Its weird, it took a year for it to become an issue again.

Check to see where it is leaking from. Look at all the hoses and try and see if there is a greenish yellow substance on them. If not maybe you have bubbles in the coolant system. I had the same problem. Open up your radiator cap when it's cold so it doesn't blow antifreeze on you. Then blast the AC and just wait a while, antifreeze should start coming out of the radiator if you do you bubbles in there. I don't remember if you have t be in drive or neutral though so I'm not sure.