The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car cranks but won't turn over and start

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

Car cranks but won't turn over and start

2000 i4 ES, went out today to start it up on a mild day in NH, cranked it and it started for like 1/8th of a second then cut, almost like I didn't crank the key long enough. Cranked again, and it chugs chugs chugs but won't start up. Checked intake mani for cracks, none there.. maybe I'm not getting a spark? Just messed with the coil packs on 2 and 4, made sure they were tight, still nothing.. any ideas?

Vid coming soon

also, anyone have a pic of where the Crankshaft Position Sensor is on an i4, a triangular plug located by power steering pump.. thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Could be several things. First you need to verify you are getting spark and that you are getting fuel. Pull a plug/plug wire, disconnec the fuel pump, ground the plug on the vc or strut tower, crank the motor, if the plug sparks, check the rest. If you are getting spark, the crank position sensor is fine. Next check for fuel, run a 12v wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the postitive wire on the fuel pump connector, if the pump turns on, it is fine.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    That start sounds funky. Are you sure the starter is engaging all the way? It sonds like the starter is slipping and not grabbing the the flexplate. This is just a guess based on the sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I wasn't getting spark, and flooded my cylinders w/ all those attempted starts yesterday. Drained cylinders and changed plugs, its good to go