The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hydraulic tensioner

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

hydraulic tensioner

anyone ever have a hydraulic tensioner go bad ? and what are the syptoms?

Oh gawd, i feel sorry for you. I had mine go bad about a month ago on my GTZ 3.0
    How i noticed mine was going out, was wehn i would first start the car there would be a loud ticking, like metal to metal sound. Then it would go away....like within 10 sec.
    Then after about a week, it got to where i had to turn the car off and restart it until it stopped. Then just one day driving down the road the LOUD ticking came back and was contant. did not go away and it sounds like its coming form the top end. But i used a stethescope (<<spelling?) and it was coming from the timing belt cover...You will definetly know its out for sure out because it almost sounds like a knock in the motor.
    Oh and get ready to be shocked by the price of that little thing....You can only get it from the dealer arond here where i live and it was $150

Hope i helped
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

hydraulic tensioner

well its not my hydraulic tensioner my timing is right on and no ticking noises besides the usual lifter tic once in a great while, but i am experiencing some vibrations in the engine , i did the timing 10 thousand miles ago and now there is a vibration only when you put it in gear , i guess like every normal car , i am scared maybe i did some engine damage to the valves but the compression is all even across all three cylinders , could it be the harmonic balancer going bad the car runs and drives fine besides the slight vibration in gear. the car only has 90 000 miles on it, all engine mount are new and i am thinking maybe a bad injecor or coil pack is bad? i dont want to pay 75 an hour for a diagnosis , any one else experiencing this also I know I dont own a lexus but it was pretty smooth at 60 and 30000 miles .MAybe altima next?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Pull the timing cover, check the belts, could be a busted bs belt. Whats your idle at in gear? Idle in park?
    7g for life!

tensioner

pulled the cover timing is on belt is fine the

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    did u pull the entire cover? or just the top where you can see the cam gear? If you didnt pull the bottom cover, you should and check the balance shaft belt which is the little belt behind the timing belt.

Also, you said it only happens when you put it in gear, is the tranny shifting OK? Are your motor mounts bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If its idling below 750rpm while the car is in gear, it will vibrate. We need more info man.
    7g for life!

hydraulic tensioner

no i did not take the lower timing bet cover off but I think that if the other belt came off that it would bind up and jumpthe other belt off and there would be shreds of belt in the casing and yes I did replace the motor mounts, and yes it idles at 750 rpms and even when i turn the idle up the vibration gets worse.maybe the tension on the pulley came loose and threw the balance shaft belt off , but there is no way to check the rotation of the shaft of this belt because, the hole is plugged up and does not have a bolt head on it , should i just eliminate it or is there a way to check the rear one besides the timing mark.
    Last edited by silversurfer; 04-02-2008 at 10:32 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wright06jhs View Post
    Oh gawd, i feel sorry for you. I had mine go bad about a month ago on my GTZ 3.0.

Oh and get ready to be shocked by the price of that little thing....You can only get it from the dealer arond here where i live and it was $150

Hope i helped
    Who told you that lie? I stay stocking those things in Beckarnley and Cloyes and Gates..........

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    Who told you that lie? I stay stocking those things in Beckarnley and Cloyes and Gates..........
    Its not a lie, I BOUGHT ONE...and around here where I LIVE thats the only place i could find one QUICKLY. None of the autoparts stores HERE carry them.
    And i even said in that exact post you quoted from that was the price from the dealer in my town
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

lol pwned.... except you can get it at mitsubishiparts.com for like 70..

tensioner

take it easy he said he was shocked the thing cost alot of money man !! Anyways can we get back tohelping or can you not.no fighhts please

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    lol pwned.... except you can get it at mitsubishiparts.com for like 70..
    Thats what i was saying? They played you dude.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    Thats what i was saying? They played you dude.
    well if they did it was really lame , i would hate to be a newby and be treated like that i would not become a member

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    well if they did it was really lame , i would hate to be a newby and be treated like that i would not become a member
    ??? hes saying the dealer played you, but i would take it personally they play everybody.

edit: sorry i cant really help you with your problem though.. i woulda said engine mounts but you said those are new... hmmm.. maybe a tranny problem?

hydraulic tensioner

i just tore her apart again now the timing is dead on re checked the balance shafts and all is well but still the slight vibration maybe its me i am still getting 310 miles to a tank and it still runs fine.87000 miles on it still strong