The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weird noise when changing from heat to a/c and reverse

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Weird noise when changing from heat to a/c and reverse

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I have a 2003 galant ES 4 cyl., and every time I change from full-on heat directly to full-on air conditioning or from full-on air conditioning to full-on heat I get a really weird vibrating/rattling sound from the dash area for about 5-10 seconds, and then it sounds like something kicks in or grabs and the noise/vibration stops. If I could describe the sound it makes when I change the climate controls itsounds exactly like a jigsaw cutting wood,but not that loud obviously. What could this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by boochieboy; 04-04-2008 at 11:41 PM

Mine had a ticking sound (like a card in a bike spoke) last winter, whenever I switched from all heat to all cold, both settings worked fine until this winter, when I switched the cold on (my G has a beast of a heater) and tried to get heat the next day it was gone. A friend insists the heater control motor is the reason and if you beat on the dash with a little luck it comes back on, which is does. The problem is all over other Galant Forums and all seem to be the same.

Thanks for the help,,,,,,does anyone know how to fix it/make it stop? Or do i just have to live with it?

My car has been doing that for a number of years. I thought it was just that I tucked some wires in wrong putting in my headunit. But yeah, I've just been living with it. It hasn't caused any problems for me so far.

I have the same problem.. whenever my buddies are in the car and i switch from hot to cold or viceversa they're always askin me what it is, i just tell them its letting out the old air stuck in there to make em shut up.. but i wouldnt mind stopping it. even if its not doin any harm.

Experienced TGC Member
    Hurry and fix it now! It is the heater control motor. When you switch from hot to cold, the motor closes the valve to the heater core, and vice versa when you switch from cold to hot. Now when that motor goes, youre stuck with whatever temperature setting the motor was on. There is a way around it. I discovered this when i was down in florida and my motor was stuck on cold. Ill try to take pics later. But the motor itself cost $150+. I got one from a junkyard in Florida for $6.

So, I should try and find one now, so when the motor does go I'll be able to swap it out? Where is the motor located? How do I remove/install it?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boochieboy View Post
    So, I should try and find one now, so when the motor does go I'll be able to swap it out? Where is the motor located? How do I remove/install it?
    If you remove the lower dash trim pieces. The motor should be located just behind the black plastic vent tubing on the passenger side. Have some switch from hot to cold, and cold to hot. Listen for the noise. And youll see that bastard. Its black, and has a white plastic arm that has a metal arm inside its track.

thanks!

TGC Regular
    does it sounds liek this?
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=23236
    and i had it for a while and nothing happens. I think its just that thing that moves makes the sounds, nothing major *shrug*

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lKoRTy View Post
    does it sounds liek this?
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=23236
    and i had it for a while and nothing happens. I think its just that thing that moves makes the sounds, nothing major *shrug*
    Trust me...mines did that for a looong while. And then one day it just died:(

TGC Regular
    But its not the motor itself - it's the thing that moves in the vid. Just gotta figure out a way to fix it *shrug*

Yep, that's for sure it!!! I'd know that sound anywhere.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lKoRTy View Post
    But its not the motor itself - it's the thing that moves in the vid. Just gotta figure out a way to fix it *shrug*
    That plastic white arm with all the grease on it is attached to the motor. If you look closely you can see the black box that the white plastic arm is mounted to. Once it dies completely, you might be able to get it to work once by tapping it witha screwdriver.

Yeah I have a similar problem, I just live with it :[

Black '02 2.4L ES ~ TGCLI