The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9G AC problems

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

9G AC problems

Hi, this is my first post in your Forum. I usually frequent http://www.cb7tuner.com because I own a 1990 Accord Lx coupe with a JDM H22 engine swap.

But here is the problem....

My 2004 Galant ES 2.4 is having A/C problems.
    If the outside air temp is cool, the inside is a few degrees cooler, but not by much.

The ambient air temp is 82F so my low side pressure should be at 40-50psi and the high side should be at 175-210psi. I get a reading of 49psi low side and 75psi high side when the compressor engages.

I can hear the compressor engage and the low side drops to near 0psi and the high side jumps from about 50 to 75psi. Somewhere is the midst of this, the A/C light starts blinking. This usually happens after the car is warm after driving or idling for a while and then there is warmer air if not hot air blown into the cabin.

I can't really see the sight glass on the dryer, can anyone tell me where it is located exactly. I am thinking it is on the right side by the radiator, but not too sure about that.

So to my knowledge....the compressor is working, but not as well as it should. Maybe a leak on the high side? or a blockage in the expansion valve? What do you think it is?

I am trying to fix it myself because we bought this car used, and the warranty is expired. OH....no one carried a compressor or other parts besides the dryer and o-ring kits. Is it a usual thing for parts to be dealer only? I am used to the Honda way....most everything is reproduced/re manufactured in the aftermarket.

Please help me....it is gonna get quite hot here soon....

i have access to parts at my local Junkyard, if you need any
    PM if you need any
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Based on the age of the car and the fact its A/C parts its not surprising that its dealer only type parts.

Though they can usually be had from automotive salvage yards.

Its obvious there is a problem with the high side losing pressure somewhere be it the expansion valve, line, fittings, receiver/drier, or compressor itself.

You should buy a A/C recharge kit that has a blacklight refrigerant dye in it. That will allow you to find a leak in the near future using a blacklight.

i had the same problem on my 05 turn the ac on you hear the compresor after a few minutes the ac light starts blinking hot air only i took it to the dealer they replaced the condenser they said it went bad my dad has the same car 04 and 3weeks before mines went he had the same problem and it was the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by rude View Post
    i had the same problem on my 05 turn the ac on you hear the compressor after a few minutes the ac light starts blinking hot air only i took it to the dealer they replaced the condenser they said it went bad my dad has the same car 04 and 3weeks before mines went he had the same problem and it was the same thing
    Condenser isn't quite as bad as a compressor.....compressor is like $1200 from the dealership and condenser is like $140. I hope that it is that or just a blockage in the expansion valve or something stupid like that.

Taking the car to a shop tomorrow....I will update what it is and cost.

BTW....I noticed that the OBDII on these cars has different codes....like chassis, engine, and others, so I tried to scan for the A/C and got nothing, but i saw the code list and there are spots open for these codes if the ECU/OBDII even uses them in our cars.

So, it is just a leak.

The shop recharged the system and put in a dye. all for like $70. we just wait till it dies out again and they will look for the leak again free of charge.

It is definitely not the compressor....that thing is like a freezer...hahaha

huge difference.