The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Getting better accelaration and mpg with 89octane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 56

Getting better accelaration and mpg with 89octane

With gas prices sky rocketing, I've been filling up the Galant with 89 octane, instead of 91, from either Shell or Chevron gas. I've noticed and improvement in accelaration and also mpg when cruising. Anyone else notice this? Does the Galant really require 91 octane or is 89 just fine? Thanks.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

I record my gas miliage and on 91 I get just at 290miles per tank. When I would fill up with 87 I get at around 275. Also my car sounds different and shakes more with 87.

Do you have a V6?
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    that means i super fail then.

v6 w/87 octane.

I find it works much nicer with 93 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
    Do you have a V6?
    Yes and it's an auto.
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

I always use the 91 octane with the V6. I worry about knock in using the 89 like I did when I had my Mazda.
    Last edited by VegasMatt; 04-07-2008 at 06:14 PM
    Love,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I find it works much nicer with 93 octane.
    We don't get 93 octane in California, so the highest available is 91. I use to fill up with 91 octane, but I switched to 89 octane and I'm noticing improved acceleration. Maybe it's just my imagination, or the cooler weather we're having. I also run my tires (195/65/15) @ 40psi each.

WTF. 40 psi on the tires......
    Thats pretty damn gay man.

Your engine will run on 89 octane. Its going to have some retarded timing maps though. your engine will not be extracting as much power out of the fuel. Just remember that the knock you get from running lower octane fuels..... will slowly but surely flatten out your rod bearings, and cause premature wear.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    i use 91 or 93 octane. usually 93 unless i don't have a chance to get to BP or Shell

for v6 8G 91>89. 89 giving better performance=imagination.

I have a v6. Is there a store that sells 93 or is it you have to look?

91/93 for my galant..
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Your engine will run on 89 octane. Its going to have some retarded timing maps though. your engine will not be extracting as much power out of the fuel. Just remember that the knock you get from running lower octane fuels..... will slowly but surely flatten out your rod bearings, and cause premature wear.
    And that's why I won't use anything less than 93 Octane in my Galant. And what makes you think 40 psi in your tires saves gas??
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by cg1349 View Post
    With gas prices sky rocketing, I've been filling up the Galant with 89 octane, instead of 91, from either Shell or Chevron gas. I've noticed and improvement in accelaration and also mpg when cruising. Anyone else notice this? Does the Galant really require 91 octane or is 89 just fine? Thanks.
    LOL!!!! wow...

with gas prices sky rocketing blah blah blah.... yes, they are extremely high, and i dont know how many times i have to type this out just on TGC alone... but look at it this way.

example - youre filling up on 10 gallons of 89 @ 3.50 a gallon. 35 bucks.
    example - youre filling up on 10 gallons of 92 @ 3.70 a gallon. 37 bucks.

are you seriously telling me that you cant afford two extra bucks? you might spend that now, but how much are you going to spend on repairs after running shitty gas.

our 8Gs with V6s will start to knock like a mofo after 89 is used for too long.

moral of the story - spend a few extra bucks now, or save all of those precious pennies for parts and labor later. your choice.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wittydrewy View Post
    I have a v6. Is there a store that sells 93 or is it you have to look?
    bp, shell, and prolly a few others

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    when you guys say you get 290 per tank, how many gallons is it when you fill back up. ive been getting barely 225 still. i got ONE record take of like 270ish but that was right after i used a really good fuel injector. i really need a tune up

my 270ish was 12.5-13 gallons i believe

I use 89 on my i4, good enough for me.

Black '02 2.4L ES ~ TGCLI

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i have 93 octane where i live at practally every single place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast