The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: starting 5 speed swap on my 8g

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 143

starting 5 speed swap on my 8g

well im finally gonna start on my 5 speed swap on my 8g galant i got a 2000 eclipse parts car to swap everything out wish me luck guys. is there anything special i need to no bout doing this from the ppl who have done it please let me no. will update with pics asap also how hard u think it would b to do the auto swap into the eclipse my girl wants it and she cant drive a 5 speed. and if anybody is wondering why i dont just drive the eclipse i hate eclipses id much rather have my galant. my girl loves them. so ima give it to her. well ill get pics on soon and liek i said if theres anything special i need to no let me no guys

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I did exactly the same, I bought the whole car, my advice/warning is that when taking the flywheel out of the eclipse it is going to have 2 of these:
    \

One between the bolts and flywheel and the other one between the flywheel and crankshaft, DO NOT use the one between the flywheel and crankshaft, I'm talking from experience it made the car vibrate and sound horrible since it didn't let the flywheel align on the G.

Have the flywheel cut at a machine shop or a reputable place.

Get a new clutch kit

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    I did exactly the same, I bought the whole car, my advice/warning is that when taking the flywheel out of the eclipse it is going to have 2 of these:
    \

One between the bolts and flywheel and the other one between the flywheel and crankshaft, DO NOT use the one between the flywheel and crankshaft, I'm talking from experience it made the car vibrate and sound horrible since it didn't let the flywheel align on the G.

Have the flywheel cut at a machine shop or a reputable place.

Get a new clutch kit
    I have both of these installed and my car runs fine

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

im swapping motor and all outtta the eclipse so would this matter in that case?

Nope swap n go

ok so i picked up the eclipse today and turns out dumbass didnt put oil in the engine and locked the motor up witch is why he quit driving it. yea he wasnt good with cars he had to have a shop put in the racing steering wheel cause he didnt no how lol anyways is there anything special i need to do to make the tranny work with my galant engine now that i got to change the motor. i no i need to change the clutch but other than that

This thread --> https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...TED-02-03-06** will have pretty much everything you need to know. If you get stuck, ask questions in this thread you made. You have the advantage of having everything you need and seeing where everything goes by having the eclipse right there next to your galant.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

yea i thought this would b the esayest way to do this and sadly enough it was cheaper only gave 800 for the whole car and ive read that thread probally over 20 times just studying how to do this. thanks for reminding me it was here i had forgot about it. yall wish me luck gonna be doing this on my own hopeing i dnt run into no issues i cant figure out. i havent had a problem yet i couldnt over come im pretty mechaically inclined so yea i think i can do it

yoi should swap the steering wheels too
    well actually there are a few parts yu can swap
    and. with the motor out I recommend doing the timing belt

as for the eclipse motor I would take it all apart as a hands on experience
    trust me much can be learned
    Last edited by master_visionary; 03-26-2013 at 09:56 AM
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

it has a racing steering wheel in it right now i dont like it to much i have one in my galant also so ima leave it alone. i belive ima take the motor apart just like u said as a learning experience and hey if i get it runnin wooo hoo if not oh well. also with the timeing belt how to i reset the timeing and stuff when i change it thats the one thing i never understood how to do in 4cyl motors

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    you should rotate the motor to be Top Dead Center before you remove everything and put everything back it should be at that position

ok a couple more things these maybe kinda noob questions but ima ask anyways lol which cylinder is the number one so i no were top dead center is and axels do i have to get any new ones. i only ask this cause i had a civic with a b series in it and i had to buy like 2 differnt axels for it man that was a mistake buying that thing

I'm not sure about the 4 cylinder stuff so I'll let somebody else chime in about the axles, but I do believe they are the same. However, don't quote me on this.

As far as the cylinders go, cylinder number one is closest to the belt. The way to rotate it to TDC though, is to turn it by hand until the timing marks line up. There will be notches in the cam gear and valve cover that line up for sure. There should also be one on the crank pulley that lines up somewhere in there as well. Like I mentioned before I'm not sure of the specifics of the 4 cylinder. If it were the V6 it would be a different story, but alas, I'll help where I can.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I want the eclipse muffler if its stock and free+shipping js

also im pretty sure the fsm for your car is in the 8g knowledge base ...read it like the Bible and retain it im 7g so yeah but you seem pretty mechanically inclined so between the knowledge base and common sense I have faith in you good luck
    Last edited by master_visionary; 03-26-2013 at 09:31 PM

Me I'm a lil of both

lol if my girl want to change the muffler ill let u no and ill do that for sure

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    Axles are the same for the 4cyl

«Carlos»

ok good to no cause i just bought brand newones for my galant b4 i got the parts car

your on the right track .and Thanks

Me I'm a lil of both

im hopeing to get started soon i took a vacation in april 2 do this lol

well got the valve cover off and all u smell is burnt oil coming out of the eclipse engine looks like i got a future boat ancor lol will have it out soon and be posting pics soon of my progress

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast