The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car stalled randomly. Why?!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Car stalled randomly. Why?!

Ok so I got home from the train after going to school. I got in my car and about a mile away from the train station, I noticed my car wasn't accelerating. I looked at the dash and all my lights were on. I realized my car had just died on me so I pulled over and tried to restart it. The car would turn on fine but a second later would die again. I sat there for a little bit to check if I had left any light on or anything that would drain the battery but I had nothing on. I tried starting it the 4th time and this time it started, but now I have another damn SES light.

I got home and popped the trunk to see if anything was leaking, nothing was leaking, the temperature of the car was fine, full gas tank, just got the oil changed 3 days ago.

I checked the fuses, nothing was wrong there. What I did notice after checking to see of all my lights were working was that there was a sulfur smell coming from my muffler. Now I know this indicated a clogged cat, but this cat is brand new, replaced it not even 4000 miles ago.

Could it be that it got clogged for a split second and exhaust couldn't escape and thus shut my car off?

I'm gonna go get the code read in an hour, to see if my car will start again. Then I'll post what the code is, until then, any ideas, is it safe to go drive it around? I have sooo much crap to do today of all days.

Thanks!

cracked intake manifold?? Check to see if its cracked
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Where is this located? Usually I would just call up my dad, but he isn't in the Country at the moment. Yeah, I know stupid question but I don't know a lot about the engine. I think I know where it is but just making sure.

Well, I'm off to get the code read.

I really hope it is nothing bad, I'm sick of having to repair this car over and over again. This is the first time that I've actually thought about selling it :-(

Ok, finally back. I borrowed a scanner and it came up with the code P0340.

Camshaft Position Sensor A- Bank 1 circuit malfunction.

Pooooop. Do I have to replace this or do I just have to replug it?
    Anyone know where this is, the guy at autozone had no idea. I think it's right underneath the TB, because there is a what seems be be a sensor that looks like the camshaft position sensor. Any ideas?

Crap now I'm afraid to get in my car anymore. I just searched around and someone else had the same problem. They said that when they took the camshaft cover off to look at the timing belt that it was all torn. Can someone explain to me where the hell the camshaft is so I can look at the belt. I really hope it's just a messed up sensor :-(

Edit: Nevermind, found a tutorial.

Still if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by spardavr4; 04-08-2008 at 03:44 PM

probally just the sensor, that happened on my wifes dodge and i just replacrd it then no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    probally just the sensor, that happened on my wifes dodge and i just replacrd it then no problems.
    I really hope so!

Thanks for the reply, gives me a light of hope!

Update:

Got the sensor replaced. Car seems to be working again with no stalling! Yay, I'm happy again.

Oh, and I also bought a Wii :)