The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I4 died, won't start, 1/2 spark

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

I4 died, won't start, 1/2 spark

I have this weird problem - car died, I had it towed. I checked the timing belt, which looked good. Next, I pulled the two wired spark plugs and checked spark - no spark on the plug connected to the coil pack on the right (as you look at the car from the front). Swapped plugs and got the same result - no spark on the right.

So I picked up a new (used) coil pack and tried it out, still no spark. I decided to check and see if the pack was indeed bad and swapped left for right - now the pack that was providing spark is no longer working when plugged in to the connector on the right. The new (used) one works fine on the left. I swapped wires too, to make sure it wasn't the wire. No dice.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this? My only guess at this point is the ignition failure sensor, but that's just a wild-assed guess. I've looked through the forums for an explanation but I can't find anything like this, where only 1 coil pack doesn't work.

sound like the crank sensor could be shot, check out the timing belt change link

If the crank sensor was dead wouldn't I be getting no spark at all? And no fuel? 'Cause I've got fuel and some spark.

I had my car die on me too! Mines the crankshaft sensor though gave me code P0340. Hopefully just pulling this one out and replacing it will get my car back to running normal. I don't like driving like a grandma because I fear my car will die randomly :-(

I'm really lazy and I had another car so this has been sitting. I sold the other car so now I finally have to get off my ass and fix my Galant. :)

I read codes from the ECU and got P0340 (cam position sensor). Thinking it was an easy fix, I replaced the sensor and tried to start... nada. Pulled the battery cable and let everything reset... still no start. After some cranking the CEL came back and... (wait for it):

P0340 Cam position sensor

So unless anyone has any ideas, I'm rollin' this thing down to the stealership (or off a cliff, whichever's closer).