The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Powersteering Question??????????????

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Powersteering Question??????????????

at the begining of the month i had my rack and pinion replaced because the seals were leaking powersteering fuild. i had that done at tires plus. i got the warranty on the parts and labor too. but just today i noticed my powersteering was periodically going out. i checked the powersteering fuild and all the lines and that was fine. i bled the powersteering too just like it said how too in the manual but it still happens. my powersteering is not competely out, but im thinking its gonna go pretty soon. does anyone have any ideas what this might be?? i think it might be the pump?? but i could be wrong, and if i am, what else could it be?? im gonna have to take it in to a shop to get done cause i dont have the tools to remove the pump. but i want to go to the shop and tell them what is wrong with it. if anyone can help me out let me know.

Always looking to make my life better, and then my car!

Sounds like your power steering belt is slipping and the mechanic did not tension it right .Check out your belt and tighten it, if it was your pump, you would have a hard time turning the wheel all the time when the car is stopped , check out your hoses it could be clogged , maybe he did not get all the air out of the lines .turn your wheel to the left all the way does the belt squeek at all?

what kind of fluid did they put in for powersteering fluid??

our cars use ATF, not regular powersteeering fluid. if they didnt use ATF, flush out your lines asap.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Usually the pump goes along with the rack and pinion, but I agree with Polish. And if it wasn't flushed with this install, it should have been. So at the least get a Power steering fluid flush. I should also say it does sometimes take a little while for the air to bleed out of the power steering system, that may be all you are experiencing, but if it persists or seems really severe than other service may be needed.