The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CAMSHAFT

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

CAMSHAFT

I was wondering how hard it would be to change out the camshaft, would this mess with my timming or would it just swap in with no problem. I wanna get the one from rpw, and the gears too. Do I need any special tools ...

Initial -G-host
    Replacing your camshaft is easy...only if you know what you are doing and doing it right. I have talked to Vision Imports and the camshafts are designed for 3 stages depending what you are looking for in performance output. I suggest to have the camshafts installed by a professional. The camshaft keeps valvetrain parts working together so the air/fuel mixture enters and exits the cylinders on que. If incorrectly install the camshaft...you will ruin all those related parts or poor performance from your motor. I should have a tutorial sometime soon...since Vision Imports has my car as a test car for any related galant performance parts.

what are the stages and what are the horsepower gains from these stages? What are the other mods needed for best performance, like turbo or something like that?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Initial -G-host
    The camshafts are designed: Stage 1 / Stage 2 / and Stage 3. Each stage has a specific grind and design of the camshaft. It all depends on what YOU want....BHP gains aren't available because there has been dyno test with them and you have to remember...each motor is different so bhp, torque output will vary. If you want to go turbo (Which is the trend today in the import world) you want to be careful and make sure you setup is correct and that your motor can handle WHAT YOU WANT. Stock 4g64 run on a 9:1 compression...which is decent and you can run a healthy 7-8lbs of boost w/o harm to your motor. If you want HIGHER boost...you will have to go to a lower compression pistons. You will also need other important stuff like a upgraded fuel system(larger injectors, fuel pump, etc) and its good to have a AFC controller too for the air/fuel mixture. Oil feed lines to your turbo because like the motor...oil is the liveblood of a turbo also. Now...if you want to go NA (Natural Aspirated=ALL MOTOR) you will want to look at higher compression pistons, a good fuel system, etc etc.....its really up to YOU and how much $$$$ you got to spend.

Thats cool, now say I wanna run high compression N/A right? What would be the stage I would wanna get? Like is stage one for less agressive setups? is that how they rate em?

Uh...is my assumption correct? I dont wanna order a cam and pay to much for something that I will get no real power from or pay the money and end up with a cam that wont allow enough power. So...um...hello?

i would love to help on this, but I dont have a 4g64 anymore