The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RPMs take a dive in D

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Experienced TGC Member

RPMs take a dive in D

OK so my car idles at 800rpm (+ or - 1)and when I put it in D or R it takes an unholy plunge to like 550rpm. Someone tell me that isn't normal...

My Chilton's says it's acceptable but at the lowest of the acceptable scenarios. What could be going on? My tranny runs fine while driving, good fluid level, ignition good, TB good... I just can't figure. The only idea I have is maybe it needs a flush but the fluid is still clear purple-ish.

BTW, for those with the reverse EL gauges, am I even reading the idle correctly? the reason I am asking is because there's "0" and then a blank space and then the lines start at 500rpm, right? My car idles right at the second line on the tach when in D.

I am so damn confused someone make sense of this post for me please..

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

BEAST
    Mine does that too. Not quite as much as yours but it still does a little. I have wondered the same thing.

clean the throttle body.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>clean the throttle body.</div>

Why would a dirty throttle body cause the RPM to drop in Drive? It idles just fine in P or N, It only drops when in gear.
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

TGC Regular
    Wes, yeah i've been having the same problem too lately...http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6711

And thats the way i read the reverse indiglos too...may be they are a little off, but i dont even remember what the factory gauges look like anymore.
    Im Broke! Send Donations to "Brandon's Future Mods Fund"

Experienced TGC Member
    I don't seem to have any of the electrical issue's your having Brandon.. I have no electric problems what so ever actually. It appears mechanical. I plan on scrubbing my TB out with some cleaner and a damn toothbrush tonight, I'll let ya know what happens
    Last time I did it though, my check engine light came on and my car spuddered for a day or so.. :?
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

It is suppose to drop when in gear.......All cars do that....But the question is how much.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

clean the throttle body.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you have a datalogger you can see what your ECU sees as RPM, I have custom gauges and most people with after market gauge faces don't put the needles in exactly right.

But my galat in P or N runs abou 1100rpm, when I throw it into gear R or D it drops to about 800.

If cleaning your TB dont help, you can adjust the BISS screw on the TB that will easily raise your idle RPM, but its range is only like +-100 or less.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Nick VR4
    Just went out to car park at work to check mine
    P or N = 800 rpms
    D = 700

Thats after engine has warmed up

the car is suppost to run at 750 +- in part/nuetral, and will obviously drop a hair in drive (but eventually get close to 750 again).

if its not doing this, clean the throttle body.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>clean the throttle body.</div>

How exactly do you clean the throttle body??? Is it something i can do by myself?? how hard is it???
    Im Broke! Send Donations to "Brandon's Future Mods Fund"

Experienced TGC Member
    Just get some carb spray at autozone or whatever your local autoshop is. It's probably easier to remove the tb from the car to clean the inside area which on my car was the only dirty side. Not only that Ive seen peoples TB so crusted up that there was a big improvment in idle and throttle response after a scrubbing, but my galant came with egr block off plate what is that FED emmisions ? so my TB is always pretty clean.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon