The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: door molding keeps coming undone..

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar

door molding keeps coming undone..

what can i do to fix this? i have tried numerous double side tapes and had almost come close to just gluing it on.

suggestions?

i used 3m double sided tape. not the foam ones for indoor use only. but the grey one with the red tape thats meant for outdoor use. Mine has not come undone since and will probably pull the paint off if i ever try to remove it

i've used 3m, i've used wurth. both have come off. where you get the 3m you got?

TGC Regular
    Use the red backed 3M stuff from autozone. The key is to clean the surface with some alcohol, or a good wax and grease remover before you stick the molding on.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

i'll prolly run by auto zone tuesday then when i don't have to work.

ty bro

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    good thread mine's coming off too

i mean, if i was close to getting my body kit, i would just tear it off and polycrete over it gap, but it isn't that time to shave the molding yet

Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03 View Post
    Use the red backed 3M stuff from autozone. The key is to clean the surface with some alcohol, or a good wax and grease remover before you stick the molding on.
    yup. thats what I use

I use Black Urethane Adhesive that is used to reinforce body panels and mount window glass. 3M always gave up on the 100 degree days @ 100 MPH. The Urethane adhesive will NEVER come off. Can be purchased at NAPA or Autozone.

I only use the 3M tape as support while the adhesives dry.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The problem with urethane is once its cures its a PITA to clean off if you ever have to change the molding and you can actually damage the paint on the door trying to get the urethane off.

Just like Eric said about the 3M red backed tape, the key to a good bond is surface prep like anything else. Make sure the molding and the door are both free of dirt and grease. I personally recommend using some type of adhesion promoter like Bulldog. A local paint supply place can sell you that, you can get it in rattle cans, by the pint/quart for HVLP guns and sometimes even in a wipe that loooks like a wet nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

galantguy1211
    yea i super glued mine a while back it didnt work too well. Ill try of some of that tape

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The problem with urethane is once its cures its a PITA to clean off if you ever have to change the molding and you can actually damage the paint on the door trying to get the urethane off.

Just like Eric said about the 3M red backed tape, the key to a good bond is surface prep like anything else. Make sure the molding and the door are both free of dirt and grease. I personally recommend using some type of adhesion promoter like Bulldog. A local paint supply place can sell you that, you can get it in rattle cans, by the pint/quart for HVLP guns and sometimes even in a wipe that loooks like a wet nap.

Yea, the tube has an rather large warning to that effect. Although I would not use it for anything I planned to to take off, just for that reason.

I just a 3M hater....

Wow, this is in old thread but it is semi related to my question and I don't want to start a new thread.

I have some GTZ door moldings that I want to put on my car. The GTZ doors come with holes in the door panel to clip these suckers on, and obviously my ES has the holes in a different spot for the smaller moldings.

If I were to use the 3M double sided tape, would there be any danger of them flying off my car at highway speeds?

Don't think so.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Super glue ftw

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    Wow, this is in old thread but it is semi related to my question and I don't want to start a new thread.

I have some GTZ door moldings that I want to put on my car. The GTZ doors come with holes in the door panel to clip these suckers on, and obviously my ES has the holes in a different spot for the smaller moldings.

If I were to use the 3M double sided tape, would there be any danger of them flying off my car at highway speeds?
    If you clean and prep the surface properly then they should stay for the life of the car.

Sounds good. That was the only question holding me back from putting these suckers on after they get painted. Thanks, and sorry for jacking the thread! If anyone has done it, let me know how it went.