The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Black stuff in my intake !!!

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Black stuff in my intake !!!

ok, i was recharging my knn filter today and i was curiuos to see what was inside my intake, so i WOT it and passed that plate i took my finger and rubbed it against the inside and my finger was black, like black grease or carbon deposits or something, is this normal?

and what product do i need to clean this?

2000 I4 100k Miles

I had the same build up on my 52mm TB when I swapped to the 60mm TB this past weekend.

Yeah it's normal. It's from the blow by gases recirculated into your intake tubing. Exhaust gases are also recirculated into the manifold, so that helps to keep it dirty too lol. Search "PCV valve" and "EGR" on google for detailed explanation ;)
    Last edited by gtx; 04-20-2008 at 07:55 PM

Yeah, unfortunately it's normal,,,, it's oil vapor coming from the crankcase ventilation valve that runs to your intake. That line carries blow by gases from the engine, and sends them back through your intake to be re-combusted along with the fresh air coming through your filter. Those blow by gases have oil vapor in them, and they condense on the inside of your intake, getting you that black greasy film. It's just to have better emissions, however there are a few ways to stop it,,,,either remove that line and install a crankcase breather filter in it's place,,,,or, splice in a oil catch can to trap the oil vapor and stop it from entering your intake. If you choose to install the breather filter (cheaper) make sure you check the legality in your state first.
    Last edited by boochieboy; 04-20-2008 at 07:54 PM

cool thanks, i think im just going to clean it when i have a chance, and since its normal, ill leave it alone....

2000 I4 100k Miles

I'm sure something like Simple Green, Mean Green, or basically any type of de-greaser would work just fine. Just use something like that and then clean it with water and let dry.