The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo engine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 63

Evo engine

I was thinking of doing the 4g63t 6bolt swap into my 97 galant, and I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned dropping an evo engine into my car (not an evo 3 or older, but an evo 8 or 9). We know the obvious of wielding motor mounts, rewiring the entire engine, and even doing an awd conversion (using the 2g gsx sub frame). I am not looking to get told how to do the swap, but am wondering what you guys think of the swap, honestly. I know that it will take a while and be hard, but the fact that evo's can push 500 awhp all day long and dsm's can barely push 400-450 reliably before being rebuilt just seems worth the headache to me. So what do you guys think?

yeha........ and you just think you are going to start making 500 hp 3 weeks into your forced induction endeavors?
    and that you are going to comfortably daily drive it too?

so what are you going to do about shift linkage?

what transmission are you going to run? what axles?

so you'd rather go..... custom EVERYTHING ($$$$$)

than plug and play, bolt in, tried and true......?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

linkage and transmission will be evo, axles... I don't know, Dsm 4g63's like breaking, ask anyone that's owned one. I want something reliable so that's why I am thinking about swapping an evo 4g63

Sigh..I don't see much logic in this. Regardless of wether a 2g did it...it had a 420a Chrysler engine. Our 64 block is often swapped with the 2g head with great benefits.

More so...you would rather pay $$$$$$$$ to do an overboard swap rather than swap a trusted and tried and true engine because you "heard" they always break? They break due to abuse and poor maintenance. Stick to the original 63t motor and put that extra money towards the maintenance you will need for any older engine rather than going overboard for repositioned engine that can become just as unreliable with time.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Here's the problem....the later Evo engines are opposed differently. Along with the shit Stunr said you would have to find a way to re-route the exhaust as well. There is nothing wrong with the 6 bolts...if you are willing to drop the coin (which it sounds like you will) just build it up bullet proof and you will be fine. I mean Seth was...or is rocking one and at some points running 35 psi of boost...daily driven if I am not mistaken. Dont break the bank on a swap that will net you about the same hp on one that has benn printed over and over again. It will save you money, headaches, and will be just as much fun!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

can any dsm make 500 whp reliably on stock internals????

Wow, you are fucking thick .... please show me an Evo that makes 500AWHP completely stock. Just like i'm also sure you have a degree in engineering so you know how much you will compromise the integrity of the chassis once you start hacking away at it to fit this one of a kind evo/awd swap.

222whp/250wtq

Quote Originally Posted by 7gftw View Post
    can any dsm make 500 whp reliably on stock internals????
    It depends how you drive it! But to make 500+HP, the car will probably not be very "streetable".

You see when someone is creating a vehicle of that nature they have a plan. A plan that you do not have or a question like that would not have been asked. Google it and look at some of the cars that you are refering to.

Go naturally asperated and learn. I spent 2 years on learning turbo-charging and know squat compaired to the 7G owners posting in this thread and they are being quite nice considering your over-ambition...

I am not trying to be "thick" or saying that an evo can make 500awhp stock... but am trying to say that a dsm is a 15 year old platform that once you reach 400 to 450 whp, you start to push on the internals... a lot. The evo on the other hand is only a 5 year platform and you reach the same stress levels on the internals and transmission at 550 to 600 whp. It was just an idea and I was trying to get some input about the subject... not argue what is a better platform.

And I would absolutely LOVE to see proof of those #s.

222whp/250wtq

Are you trying to say that a dsm is a better platform than an evo?

Quote Originally Posted by 7gftw View Post
    I was thinking of doing the 4g63t 6bolt swap into my 97 galant, and I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned dropping an evo engine into my car (not an evo 3 or older, but an evo 8 or 9). We know the obvious of wielding motor mounts, rewiring the entire engine, and even doing an awd conversion (using the 2g gsx sub frame). I am not looking to get told how to do the swap, but am wondering what you guys think of the swap, honestly. I know that it will take a while and be hard, but the fact that evo's can push 500 awhp all day long and dsm's can barely push 400-450 reliably before being rebuilt just seems worth the headache to me. So what do you guys think?
    Well, if you dont trust a built 4g64 block with 63 head, then you can invest in fully built, stroked, low compression 6 bolt 4g63 and a dog box tranny. I mean you have better chances of doing this than the ridiculous evo 8-9 swap idea. It will cost you way more than you think it will.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I just don't wanna have a rebuilt bottom end if I don't have to.

ya there is no way an evo or dsm can push those numbers stock.

Okay, just to straighten shit out. Most DSM 4G63T's break because most DSMers like to ghetto rig shit to work.

I dont have an idea where people get the inkling that the motors have problems themselves. The EVO III's and the GVR4's that have basically the same motor found on DSM's dont break as often. Most likely, because most GVR4 owners and the few lucky ones who can get their hands on EVO III's and older are more sophisticated than your normal 16 year-old with a license and quick cash.

Most cost effective way to do this is use the 6-bolt 4G63T from the older DSM's or even use the EVO III engine if you wanna go baller. it will perfectly line up with the mounts and most of all you will save yourself the hassle of trying to make mounts for a motor that sits on the totally opposite side. (trust me, much more of a PITA than it looks)

if you're a millionaire and is ready to put THOUSANDS of dollars on a 7G with an EVO motor go ahead. But its more headaches than you think a regular DSM would give.

Atleast a broken DSM would have parts, what would you do when something on your one-off set-up breaks?

and who says first generation 4G63's cant handle power?
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=29372

and thats on a evo III
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

kbeast
    well heads up if you drop a 4g63 in from a evo that is highly dumb no offense. Think bout it man also DSm are the ONLY cars i say that are cheap fast and will be there till the end. Just drop 4g63 6 bolt head and you good bro. of course with the turbo. and you can swap axles and all that AWD shit and be better in price then the evo swap. I mean a head you can get cheap for a DSM for a evo LOL think again. and stress? i know a DSM right now going on 200k so get your head right

I am not trying to say that dsm's can't make any power... my friend has a 10 second dsm. I agree that dsm's break because of people ghetto rigging shit... If i was going to go baller then I would just get a Lexus gs300 and 2jz-gte swap it, add a gettrag trans. and a single turbo. As far as turboing my car, no matter what happens it will cost a couple thousand dollars anyways.... I was just wondering if it was a good idea to put a newer engine design into my car instead of an older one.... but I would say that all of you think it is a bad idea...

kbeast
    now if you put a LS1 in there.....

You do realize that it's designated the 4g63t for a reason ... therefore it is virtually the same engine either way. The only reason it was changed was because Mitsu wanted better weight distribution for their WRC cars.

222whp/250wtq

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast