The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo engine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 63
    it was also changed because it was an outdated design.

Quote Originally Posted by 7gftw View Post
    ... but am trying to say that a dsm is a 15 year old platform that once you reach 400 to 450 whp, you start to push on the internals... a lot. The evo on the other hand is only a 5 year platform
    Well thats not true either...technically they are all old. The 4g63 is actually 20+years old. The Evo ...just because it was refreshed it is still the same 4g63t engine. So even still the idea of an evo 8 swap is asinine. You would still have to drop thousands to make any engine that is 2-300 hp jump up to 500hp. So your thoughts of saving money on the swap because you think a DSM will break is also outlandish. Keep it simple, do some more research, and dont be so eager. If you rush into things you will regret it
    Last edited by evil-G-nius; 04-28-2008 at 01:43 AM

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I have researched both platforms, and I know the evo 4g63t engine can handle more power with less stress. That is why it would not be as prone to breaking...

There are many a DSM pushing close to 500hp on stock internals. You're not taking into consideration the age differences between each model. You wanna push those type of numbers? How many miles do these "reliable" vehicles have added daily? Pretty sure it's a minimal amount. You want big numbers, you gotta do the work. As far as I'm concerned you'll be wasting way more money getting a repositioned engine to fit into that bay, than taking a classic 6 bolt and fully building it with that money.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    The Evo 8 swap into a 7g is not worth it. It is a lot harder than swapping out the 420a for the Evo 4g63. Also the 6 bolt is no more outdated that the 4g63 in the later Evos, it is just the longer a company works with a platform the more power they can squeeze out of it. If you are looking to put down 400+hp you don't want a stock 4g63. I have also seen people break Evo motors pushing less power. For the money you would just spend on the Evo 8 motor, you could have a very nice built 6 bolt installed in your 7g and driving around and if you know the right people you will have some money left over.

Off topic: where are you located 7gftw? The pic of your 7g looks just like the 7g at the Summit GADSM meet.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

yeah its a bad idea.

My car is 14 years old.

the engine i put in it is a 6 bolt out of a jdm 1990 vr4.... which is 18 years old.(if not more because i'm sure they produced the engine before the assembly line started rolling.

with that said. i run 20 psi on a 50 trim every day, and drive the living shit out of in autocross.

the internals of the motor are completely stock, save a balance shaft removal.

my engine neither smokes or consumes oil.

with a little more time for tuning. and no other changes..... i'm looking to run 25 psi-ish.
    until i lift the head.
    then i'll get a multilayer headgasket and some arp studs. and go from there.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 04-28-2008 at 10:53 AM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Wait, why in the hell are you wanting to swap a new Evo motor into this old car? For the money it's going to cost you to find an Evo motor for sale that is still in decent condition, thats a pretty penny by itself. Much less the fabrication, time, planning, and more $$$, you could have a VERY WELL built lower end, head, and turbo!
    1997 Volvo 850 T5

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you view is that the newer 4G63 is more capable of making power than the previous 4G63 then you are mislead. Both motors in stock form are good up to around 400hp with stock internals before you start knocking on the door of its threshhold. The newer 4G63's do benefit with some updated improvements like larger cooling passages and updated valvetrain but with the HUGE aftermarket support and knowledge of the "older" 4G63...things can be done to have the same benefits. There are "older" DSM's and Galant VR4's making the same amount of power the newer 4G63's are making nowdays...they are just as stout.

Its not worth doing the swap you are asking about as many others have expressed their opinions. If you want to be different thats is cool, but in a other way to look at things with the $$$ you would have to invest to put a newer 4G64 into a 7g, 2g or even 1g and have a working drivetrain to get the car to roll. You could just build up a "older" 63 with stronger internals, valvetrain and drivetrain and probably spend less money and time and headaches.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

it was also changed because it was an outdated design.
    As Laxin said the weight on drivers side was way more than the pasenger side, but there is one better reason why they repositioned the engine. It was the output shaft of the transmissions - with the older engine location the tranny had 5 reverse and 1 foward gears, and thats why they added a shaft that reverses the gears which shaft happened to be a weak spot of high HP engines. For more info - DSMtuners.com.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

he just wants to be able to say he has "an evo motor"

the evo's all have the same rods as the 7 bolt eclipse 4g63.
    the cranks are made the same way as well although there might be slight machining differences...

they are the same materials and made with the same methods.
    so one isn't stronger than the other.

so where are you getting the idea that the evo bottom end is sooooooooo much more powerful than a 7 bolt dsm engine.

Or a much thicker rod-equipped 6 bolt motor?

Ask how many evo guys spun rod bearings.
    then ask how many stock engine dsm guys did. just about none(if it wasn't after 200k miles of abuse and neglect)

Finally, ever priced a used evo motor or even a jdm one?
    its about as much as a brand new built longblock dsm 4g63. of course i'd rather have a all forged motor with zero miles, than a used stock motor that i know nothing about.

But if you want to be different, and go a different route, then go for it.
    It can be done, with enough time, patience and $$$$$$$.
    Just make sure you don't comprimise the quality of the car just so you can make some rice dream come true.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

first: njjfudge: that was my galant at the gadsm summit meet

second: thank you all for your opinions, they are very appreciated even though I haven't decided what to do

third: I do not want to build a bottom end, because they do not last as long as oem motors, there are some exceptions for sure, but that is not something that i wanna deal with doing on my daily driver

forth: the cost of the actual engine and transmission is not as big of a deal to me as it is to most, because I am buying a laser diffuser kit (passport srx), installing a radio some speakers, 2 amps, and building a box for a guy that works at nabb (sp?) motors around here so he was going to swap me for a cyclone 4g63 so an evo engine will only be $1500

fifth: i do not want to do the swap to be cool or just to say that i have an evo engine, i feel like it is a better starting point (that is just my opinion tho)

sixth: the last thing that I would want to do is half ass anything, or compromise the integrity of my car

seventh: with all that said, would all of you still do the dsm 4g63 swap?
    Last edited by 7gftw; 04-28-2008 at 10:01 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    LMFAO, i think everyone has given you plenty of answers to your questions dont ya think!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

third: I do not want to build a bottom end, because they do not last as long as oem motors, there are some exceptions for sure, but that is not something that i wanna deal with doing on my daily driver
    lol, wat?

forth: the cost of the actual engine and transmission is not as big of a deal to me as it is to most, because I am buying a laser diffuser kit (passport srx), installing a radio some speakers, 2 amps, and building a box for a guy that works at nabb (sp?) motors around here so he was going to swap me for a cyclone 4g63 so an evo engine will only be $1500
    wat? What year Evo? If you're gonna be messing with all that Mivec crap, it's not gonna be worth it.

fifth: i do not want to do the swap to be cool or just to say that i have an evo engine, i feel like it is a better starting point (that is just my opinion tho)
    We are all just wondering what makes it a better starting point?
    1997 Volvo 850 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Distort View Post
    lol, wat?

wat? What year Evo? If you're gonna be messing with all that Mivec crap, it's not gonna be worth it.

We are all just wondering what makes it a better starting point?
    eagle rods, wiseco, etc. don't make sure that their parts last for 100,000 miles, they are built to make big power to race, not daily drive, I wanna see a fully built motor even last 50,000 or 75,000 miles, then i will rethink that option

yes an evo 7, 8, or 9.... all that mivec crap won't be that bad.... i will get an uncut harness and ecu... I dea with automotive wiring 50 hours a week so its the easy part to me

it can handle more power reliably before being fully built

i was thinking about it when i could of got an evo 8 motor for free

i was gonna rewire thw whole car, use the 95-99 eclipse 420 a mounts

but i thought about it was not worth it.

listen to DOHCstunr the man knows his shit. the dsm motors are just as great but with cheaper parts for replacements. even brand new motors can fail. we all know dsm motors can easily take 200K plus miles of hard driving. except the 7 bolts wich crank walk with heavy clutches and even then they still had alot of milage on them.

if you can risk the car and you want to do it go for it. for me it's too much hassel, money, time, and labor for something i can do easier, cheaper, and proven to be just as good if not better

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

My 1G DSM went 200k miles, and the only reason it got trashed was because the radiator hose blew... I was replacing all the hoses the next week, but it was still going strong till the damn hose went out and blew the headgasket, warping the head.
    1997 Volvo 850 T5

eagle rods, wiseco, etc. don't make sure that their parts last for 100,000 miles, they are built to make big power to race, not daily drive, I wanna see a fully built motor even last 50,000 or 75,000 miles, then i will rethink that option

yes an evo 7, 8, or 9.... all that mivec crap won't be that bad.... i will get an uncut harness and ecu... I dea with automotive wiring 50 hours a week so its the easy part to me

it can handle more power reliably before being fully built
    Evo 9 motor will not work!

Dude listen to everyone that is telling you that trying to run a evo motor isnt worth the hastle! For all the bs that you would go through and all the money that you would spend you could have built a 4g63t that is going to be making more power then a stock evo motor. Also i can almost guess that they would have the same engine internals, im talking about the older models, why would mistubishi waste time and money putting differant internals in a motor that they were using in three cars?? Also what i dont undersand is why wouldnt you want to rebuild the bottom end? If i were to buy a used motor i would make damn sure that the bottom end was new and remachined!

You really make no sence, you ask for peoples oppinions and then you dont even listen to what they are telling you! If you dont want to listen to what people say dont ask just do and find out how dumb your idea was. everyone is trying to help you out and steer you in the correct dirrection and you just keep saying that they are wrong and that your way is going to be better. If that is the case do it your way and stop trying to act like you know shit when you obviosly dont, and if you do then prove it and swap a EVO 9 motor in your car, With MIVEC!!! <<< WONT WORK AT ALL! YOU DONT HAVE THE KNOWLAGE TO MAKE MIVAC WORK!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    wow, this is funny

A 4G63t is a 4G63t. <-- bTW that was a PERIOD at the end of that statement.

You say eagle rods, wiseco, etc won't last. When was the last time you saw someone granny driving a built motor. I understand your concern, but i don't think you're weghing all the factors in or considering the reality of it. How will you drive the 500hp Evo 7g... how woulkd you drive a 500 hp 6bolt. Better question, how do you plan to make either 500 hp.

I say go for it!!! Don't let someone elses hesitation hold you back, for you might be the one that makes this swap actally happen... but i doubt it. I understand you're getting opinions, but if haven't thought logically about those problems, well then your just really talking.

Biggest problem is, you'll have no one to help you at any turn (except maybe the eclipse guy) One of the most important things about doing the 6 bolt swap into the 7g, is the technical support that's there. You'd have little to no support when dealing with the Evo swap. Belive me i'm doing a swap that i've had a lot of support for, but have still had to pioneer somethings. All in all, go for it, but you're on your own.
    Last edited by Blue Ice; 04-30-2008 at 10:21 AM

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Oh and another thing, Even if you did buy one brand new EVO 8 engine with a manufacturers warranty for 100k miles, as soon as you modified it to 500hp, that warranty would be null and void.

which way are the pullies on the evo 8 motor?? are they on the driver or passenger side of the car?? cause if they are on the passenger side then how the hell is that going to work?? If you flip the head around the intake would be in front and the exhaust in back! Custom exhaust manifold and intake manifold would have to be made. right??
    am i the only one thinking about that or am i worng on ware the pullies are??

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast