The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weak battery? Engine light?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar

Weak battery? Engine light?

Ok so today, i went to start my car, no crank. Everything like the lights, radio, and what not would come on if i turned them on but the engine wouldnt crank at all. so i jumped the battery and it started, okay maybe a weak battery? but then the engine light came on. What could cause the weak battery to throw that now? i want to find some stuff out before they do a full tune up and start to tell me that i need some shit that i dont really need.

thanks for the help

if you jumped the car and it started, i'd probably look at the battery. get that tested. you might also want to test other components such as the alternator to see if they are still good. especially if the battery is still somewhat new.

as for the engine light, get the code scanned and it will tell you what is wrong.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

how do you do you get the code scanned?

ask at the auto parts store to check for codes when you go there to ask them to check your battery.

well because i have my apointment set up already with then shop im prolly going to get raped for labor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    all you need is an obd-2 scanner, plug it into the female connector thats underneath the driver side dash (its pretty obvious once you get it) and plug it in, it will scan and print a code

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    well because i have my apointment set up already with then shop im prolly going to get raped for labor.

and many autoparts stores will check your battery and get the code for you for free.

maybe i can stop somewhere today before i drop it off tomorrow. either way i still know it needs a full tune up, ill come back tonight with the codes hopefully.

thanks for both of your help

well im back. $900 poorer.

they did:
    - a test of WHY the light came on and went off. it was due to the crankshaf letting in too much air or something. $94.20
    (it would be another $500 to do the crankshaf, thats on hold until the light comes on and stays on)
    - oil change - $28
    - Remove & replace alternator + powersteering belts - $99 in labor, $87 in parts, $186 total
    - Remove + Replace left inner and outter tie rods - $150 labor. $240 parts. $390 total.
    - Alignment - $100.

basically they DIDNT even do the tune up i was going for. it did fix the vibrations in my steering wheel tho. *knocks on wood* basically, it HAD to be done. the belts were all cracked. the tie-rods were really loose, and well i need to be safe. It was better to replace the belts now then to wait for them to break.

full tune up will be next. another few hundred will go into that. then i should be all done with the safety and maintance.