The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wheel Bearing?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Wheel Bearing?

Im going to be replacing my driverside wheel bearing this weekend and im wondering if i need to take out the whole spindel and press it in or if when i put the bolts in will i be able to pull the brearing into the spindle?

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

u should be more worried about the exhaust bearings

sorry i couldnt resist
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    Im going to be replacing my driverside wheel bearing this weekend and im wondering if i need to take out the whole spindel and press it in or if when i put the bolts in will i be able to pull the brearing into the spindle?

get the spindle out, its the best and easiest way
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

So i havent had time to replace it, and its gotten much worse. I got the bearing and im going to put it on tomorrow the car is just sitting at my parents house because the old one locked up last night when i was pulling into the driveway. Dose anyone have any tips on how to take them out? Im going to try and do it by taking the spindle off of the car seams like the easiest way to do this. But with it being seized up will this make it difficult to change? 165,000 miles on original wheel bearings isnt to bad but i should have change it sooner just didnt have the money or the time to do it.!

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    I also suggest replacing both sides, save you some time or you will be doing this again, shortly.

the other one was replaced before i got the car. I have a bunch of receipts from everything that was replaced before i got the car.

1996 galant s

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    I also suggest replacing both sides, save you some time or you will be doing this again, shortly.
    That's a fact. Replaced the driver side front on my 8g Thursday. Now I have to change the other side on Saturday.

what size is the axle nut?? the only size i dont have lol.

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    this one?

axle nut is 32mm.

pardon my ignorance...but money aside, could you replace the entire spindle itself (i assume bearing would be included) rather than trying to insert a new bearing?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    this one?

axle nut is 32mm.

pardon my ignorance...but money aside, could you replace the entire spindle itself (i assume bearing would be included) rather than trying to insert a new bearing?
    Yeap, thats what I did for my 5 lug swap - entire spindle change
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Once the old spindle is out. just hit the bore of the knuckle with a wire brush and some penetrating lubricant....

then just slap in the new spindle....

then tighten down the 4 bolts little by little.... turn one bolt a few times. then go to the opposite bolt, turn it a few....

basically just like lug nuts.

but no.... no need for a press.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i did need to use the press because the bearing that i got did not come with a spindle. i did try to get one but i couldnt get one today, once i got the hub out i took a ride up to my old work and pressed out the spindle, the bearing broke and half of it stayed on the spindle. So i took the spindle over to the mill and milled a slot into the old bearing on each side, once i finished milling the opposite side it broke off. Then i took it over to the press put some grease on and pressed it in till the spindle hit the race, flipped it over put a flat piece of steal on the bearing and pressed it in the opposite way. Everything worked out didnt even remove the spindle assembly from the car!

1996 galant s