The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need constructive critism

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 88

Need constructive critism

I'm new to the modification field, and i was just given a 99' Galant DE with 60k miles, after i lost my dodge dynasty due too gas line issues.

This is my Ghetto rig Idea:

Intake:
    k&n 4"-3" cone filter w/ a 3" MAF adapter from urmarket.com and thats it, stock tubbing, ect. I will try to make a heat shield with the stock air box which is plastic but its in the perfect position and its already bolted on. i also keep my hood crack open for more cooler air, but its been raining latly so i keep it closed. i want to know if this is safe.

Muffler:
    __________________ you fill in the blank. (advice)

Springs & Struts:
    Not needed at the moment just wondering cause i go over a lot of rich peeps driveways and its 30-35 degrees and there going to go out sooner or later.__________________________Feel in the blank.(advice)
    +
    and another note on springs and struts, what kind or brand should i get to make my car have more wheight in the front, so its tilted downwards more towards the front cuz i read it helps with traction and acceleration with downforce in the engine bay.

Wheight Reduction:
    Items ive sacrificed for wheight reduction: Floor mats, spare tire, tools, hub caps, tweeters, and trying to get rid of the back seat just doesnt wana come out.
    Any suggestions on others thigns i could do, like acid dipping or drilling holes in uneeded metals?

Carbon Fiber:
    Hood: _______________________-fill it in(advice)
    Trunk: _______________________-fill her in(advice)

Rims:
    i want black ones and none heavy material, ________________any advice on brand names or types of metal material.

Body Kit:
    i dont know if its just for looks, but i dont wana add whieght if its for looks, and if its for aerodynamics it better have a better aerodynamic/whieght ratio.
    _____________________-fill it in (advice) on if you know what im getting at or if im dumb just let me know.

thats all i can think off with my knowledge of cars so far, if you could help me out that whould be cool. I have 200-300 poeple i deliver Pioneer Press Newspaper too "daily". so this is why im asking to make work faster and car healthy.

Thanks, Project Paper Boy.

Sorry if im asking too much but im noob and i went through everything on the forums already and cant find a reasonable awsner or source for Grade A products.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPaperBoy View Post
    ...i also keep my hood crack open for more cooler air, but its been raining latly so i keep it closed. i want to know if this is safe....
    umm, your hood will fly open and break your windshield... so that is the opposite of safe.

you know it cant come out right, its still beeing held by a hook mechinism, which you have to put you're finger under and pull sideways to open the hood completly, im talking bout crack open from the hood pull under the dashboard, which is 1 1/2'' of open air to go through the whole engine.

thats really not going to benefit you. Leave the hood closed, air will be passed thru the grill. if your really worried about air movement in you engine bay. Then buy a VIS CF hood which has a vent on the driver side which feeds air into your intake also have two removable ducts in the middle like the evo's have which will dispense air.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

i dont need that, because it rains alot in minnesota, id rather have some kind of system where i can hide the filter from being poured on. when ever i feel.

you know it cant come out right, its still beeing held by a hook mechinism, which you have to put you're finger under and pull sideways to open the hood completly, im talking bout crack open from the hood pull under the dashboard, which is 1 1/2'' of open air to go through the whole engine.
    that hook is not stron enough to hold down the hood, they didnt close the lid all the way in this sit source http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0260763.htm

Consumers Beware. When you go to a Jiffy Lube, be sure to walk around your car when they are finished, and check everything. Make sure your hood is SHUT, along with your trunk.

After getting my oil changed, we got into my car, only to see the 'door ajar' light on. We proceeded to open and shut our doors, but the light was still on. I got out of the car, walked around to the back, and found my TRUNK lid was open. I shut my trunk, then got back into the car.

We left Jiffy Lube, pulled out into heavy traffic, drove a bit, turned onto another street, traffic cleared, we picked up speed. At about 40 to 50 mph, my HOOD flew up, scaring the!! out of me and my grandson, and smashed my windshield. Not an experience I would recommend to anyone. Luckily, there were no other cars close by, or we would have been hit.

After pulling over and shutting the hood, we inched back to Jiffy Lube. At first, they took full responsibility, they drove my car to their body shop person that they use all the time, and assured me it would be fixed. 4 days later, they said they were not going to fix it, because they never opened the hood.

Now, I have a 1991 Toyota MR2. The engine is in the BACK of the car, with the battery and windshield washer fluid in the FRONT of the car. It has 3 deck lids, along with 3 levers or latches on the drivers side. If someone didn't know the car, they would probably pull all 3 levers to find the engine, which I am guessing is what happened, since the girl working on my car was young and new to the job. They may not have opened the hood, but they pulled the latch.

My next question for them is, if they didn't open the hood, how did they do the work stated on my invoice? The invoice said they checked my battery and added fluid to my windshield washer, which is under the hood. Their comment was there is a glitch in their system that automatically marks off all those items? as being done?? Funny, they failed to mention that when they gave me the invoice, I assumed all the work they marked off had been done. Isn't that lying?

I guess the kicker is, they told Consumer Affairs that either I or my grandson must have pulled the latch when we were trying to figure out why the 'door ajar' light was on! My grandson must have pulled the latch in the glovebox? What latch!? And I believe it said door ajar, not latch ajar. I never asked them for anything but to fix my car.

Now I got stuck with a $1500.00 bill for repairs, my grandson had nightmares for 3 nights, and they walked away with no remorse. I will be taking them to small claims court. Will advise as to outcome. Consumer Affairs is fining them for writing false information of work done on my invoice.

BE Sure to CHECK all hoods and trunks when you leave JIffy Lube, if you are crazy enough to go to them. That was my first and last time. I will Go to a certified mechanic instead next time.

Jenne
    Victorville, California
    U.S.A.

have you ever heard of the darwin awards? driving around with your hood cracked open, only being held by the secondary catch, is like running around with scissors.

?!!?!?!
    i fucking go around town with my hood open all the fuckign time, during 3 o'clock in the morning i go 85 with it cracked open? im pretty sure theres a hook lock for a reason, and by the way i dp this because have you seen where the stock intake in a 99 gets air from? not from the radiator vent like some one said here but it gets it right under the hood, ive tested the coldness of it when not cracked open/ cracked open. a lot colder everywhere even the rubber tubbing where the MAF is.

the only problem i get with the hood is if i go over bumbs it trys to close but doesnt have enough Ummmphhh.

can someone please tell me adice on ather things i asked, i wasnt asking if it was safe for my windsheild i was asking dust and particles goign into other places of the engine.

i know for a fact my hood wont bust open, in the story you posted do they also have a hook mechinism which in order to fully open the hood you have to pull the hood latch then go outside and pull the second locking mechinism?

ok well i cant wait to see your post about your hood flying open

i dont know how it works on galants but what you can do for weight savings is life up all of your carpet and pull up all of the sound deadening till theres nothing but metal down there, then put the carpet back over it. thats been known to save 50 pounds or more. theres also a metal safety plate inside the actual glove box cover, you can take that out as well
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Sorry if i got off on the wrong hand with the hood, I just busted my windshield like you said.

Damn you guys were right....

Not....

i bought hood locks instead, the metal wire kind on both sides.

on another note ima just crack my hood open when im on my actual paper route so it doesnt over heat because theres going to be a lot of acceleration going on, and i only go 30-60 miles per hour, i love it though i get the streets to my self rich peeps asphalt is sexy.

Can anyone refer to me what kind of muffler i should get with my bootleg intake setup

and i heard getting lighter metal bolts but i forgot the metal type anyone know?

Project Paper Boy
    Intake:
    ebay cold air intake with a k&n 3" filter and a aem bypass .

Springs & Struts:
    Not needed at the moment just wondering cause i go over a lot of rich peeps driveways and its 30-35 degrees and there going to go out sooner or later.__________________________Feel in the blank.(advice)
    +
    and another note on springs and struts, what kind or brand should i get to make my car have more wheight in the front, get loweung springs or coilovers

Wheight Reduction:
    pull out the noise reduction stuff like lonestar said

Carbon Fiber:
    Hood: http://www.gofastperformance.com/product_info.php?products_id=1749 and it hav vents
    Trunk: http://www.octanemotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=4068

Body Kit:
    i dont know if its just for looks, but i dont wana add whieght if its for looks, and if its for aerodynamics it better have a better aerodynamic/whieght ratio.
    try closing your hood, better areo d's. if im dumb just let me know. - yes, yes you are.

Thanks, Project Paper Boy.

Sorry if im asking too much but im noob and i went through everything on the forums already and cant find a reasonable awsner or source for Grade A products

Experienced TGC Member
    I normally dont do this, but you sir are a f*ckin idiot. You come here asking for advice. And you state that you like to leave your hood cracked open. One of our senior members informs you of how unsafe it is, and you shit on him? Right now your just a newb and dont know shit. So instead of opening your mouth to talk shit, how about you open up your eyes and ears AND LEARN something useful.

*Ill be one of the first members to lmao WHEN your hood does get up close and personal with your windshield:p

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Calm down kids. Leaving your hood cracked open will not give you any performance gains whatsoever, unless your car is overheating, in which you have other issues at that point. I drove my car around once without realizing my hood wasnt latched down all the way and it did fly up on me at about 55mph. I understand you have hood locks now, but just informing you that it wont help you in the performance area. If you like the way it looks, then by all means its your car, do what you want.
    7g for life!

thank you dejp90 if been waiting for that post.
    what muffler should i get when i get the intake you prefered dejp90?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

6G72Galant - LMAO

It's Secured dont wait on it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

seth98esT, yes i agree with you and noted that i will only be opening it during my route which produces a lot of continious acceleration heat.

I know it may not perform as well but its getting cooler air plus its during the night air is a little cooler as well, my car sleeps 70% during daylight hours.
    Last edited by ProjectPaperBoy; 05-05-2008 at 09:50 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You still dont understand, your car wont run cooler with the hood cracked an inch. Get a pocket logger, make a run with it closed and log it, make a run with it open and log it. Unless you take your hood completely off(which looks a lot cooler lol), you will not notice any gain in performance nor cooling.

As for mufflers, Id get a magnaflow. Again, it wont help performance, but it will make it sound fast. I had a Magnaflow 3" muffler on my car back when it was stock, sounded pretty good, but didnt make it faster. You need to replace the cat back or do a full exhaust to get performance gains.
    7g for life!

Haha, is taking you're hood of street legal. if it is and its easy i could just take it off, drop it off at a corner get done with my route and get the police called on me.

Haha, is taking you're hood of street legal. if it is and its easy i could just take it off, drop it off at a corner get done with my route and get the police called on me.
    just get the carbon fiber hood with the vents ps dWjp90

Ok i just set up my ghetto sri intake rig:

Universel 4'' Cone Filter - $54
    Universal 3" MAF adapter - $12.99
    a) had to go to hardware store to drill holes didnt fit
    b) had to find new bolts and nuts because the stock air
    box is gay with glued-on bolts. - $1.69
    c) mitshibishi is gay with mass air flow sensor, had to sand
    some random edge that was poking off.
    2 feet of 2mm cable to strap intake from moving - $1.30

Total: 69.98 for a sri with stock rubber hosing.

I see cheaper shit online, did i go wrong about this?

My next paycheck im going for a magnaflow, can anyone tell me what size i should get for an center/center muffler or how i should go about messuring it.
    Last edited by ProjectPaperBoy; 05-08-2008 at 07:58 PM

what i did was drill holes in my hood to size of softballs so air can flow, also i put some holes in my fender to vent the air out i noticed a 20hp gain!! your intake setup could be better check for used aem/injen intakes or even some ebay brands. muffler size you can get all types of size's are you keeping the factory size piping or not?
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast