The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission Fluid

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Transmission Fluid

I've been reading the threads about transmission fluid and being one of the problems with not smooth shifting of gears in an Automatic transmission. I'm planning to get it flushed and refilled with the recommended Diamond SP-III fluid that was mentioned. My question is, do I go to the dealer to do this, or can I do it at any other auto shop? In one of the threads I did notice that there are a few members that live in the Maryland area, can anyone suggest a good place that knows Galants? Mine's a 8g 03 model. I read in one thread that you can get the fluid at Rockville Mitsubishi for a reasonable price. How much should I buy? 11-12 quarts? I don't like the guys that I met at the Rockville dealer as they were so unresponsive to my questions. I also read on another forum that Hillmuth Automotive is good, I did take my car there for some minor work which was rather expensive, so that's why I need recommendations please.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    This is the oil that you can use, buy it yourself and take it to the shop that will perform the flush, save you some cash. You need about 5 to 6 quarts. You can buy this oil at Auto zone and is equivalent to the one the dealer uses.

kbeast
    how many miles u have if under 60000 come to va ill flush it for u

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I always used the mitsu fluid and its not that expensive. I think 5 quarts was like $23. You can just walk in to the part dept. at your local dealer and buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by kbeast View Post
    how many miles u have if under 60000 come to va ill flush it for u
    Oh I have 100,000+ miles, heheh, I know, it's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    This is the oil that you can use, buy it yourself and take it to the shop that will perform the flush, save you some cash. You need about 5 to 6 quarts. You can buy this oil at Auto zone and is equivalent to the one the dealer uses.

Are you sure this one is good, because from the other posts on the subject I noticed quite a few guys mentioning to use only the original Mitsubishi AT fluid. Couldn't find a conclusive decision though. Anyone else had problems with using other fluids?

Diamond SP-III fluid is the same thing as the castrol... read the back for specific types

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Are you sure this one is good, because from the other posts on the subject I noticed quite a few guys mentioning to use only the original Mitsubishi AT fluid. Couldn't find a conclusive decision though. Anyone else had problems with using other fluids?

Well I have that in my 02 Galant. I called the dealer and this is what they recomended as an alternative and trust me it was alot cheaper then the dealer that does the same thing. I dont recomend things I dont use or I'll just say I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Well I have that in my 02 Galant. I called the dealer and this is what they recomended as an alternative and trust me it was alot cheaper then the dealer that does the same thing. I dont recomend things I dont use or I'll just say I dont know.

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll try to go to the service place and see how much they charge for the replacement too.

Be careful flushing it above 75,000 miles, it can be more detrimental to the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Be careful flushing it above 75,000 miles, it can be more detrimental to the transmission.
    Yeah, I read about that too, about the stuff that comes out might actually damage the transmission filter. But I think the previous owner had changed the fluid, but may have not used the right one... I get a weird issue, when I'm between 60-70mph, and the RPM is about 3000-3500, I notice that the transmission slips a bit bringing the RPM to about 2900 and then goes back up again. Also with the A/C, the transmission doesn't shift that smoothly at low speeds. Just thought of giving the transmission fluid a change and then checking out for further issues. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    damn, i'm at 76k now... still iffy if i should change the tranny fluid :?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I always used the mitsu fluid and its not that expensive. I think 5 quarts was like $23. You can just walk in to the part dept. at your local dealer and buy it.
    my local dealer charges me almost $6 a quart

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    at my dealer they charge 13 dollars found another dealer charges me 5.75 bucks i just gotta drive like 3 miles extra the oppisate way
    03 I4