The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Never ending car problems

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Never ending car problems

Ok, in the last month, I've done the following to my car:

1. Alignment
    2. Replaced an A/C Compressor
    3. Replaced the front struts (they were shot)

After getting those fixed, I brought my car in again for a "thumping" noise in the front of the car today, that I noticed before, but more pronounced now. He drove it & noticed the noise. Mechanic had no idea what it was, so put it up on the lift, disengaged the traction control, and put the car in drive. He did the old, "grab the tire, pull, twist, etc." at first, but everything seemed fine. When the front left wheel was spinning, it was wobbling & spinning crooked. To make sure it wasn't the tire, he put the rear one up there, same thing. The front right isn't bad. However, we noticed the right front tire spinning slowly compared to the left one. Did check the tire pressure too, was fine.
    I replaced the tie-rods at 100k & the struts last weekend; I'm at 140k miles now.

Anyway, he said it could be a wheel bearings for the thumping noise, which I searched on here about; however, since my rotors are warped again, he suggested replacing them, hoping I can solve two problems with 1 fix. (Note: I think I got my replacement rotors from raceconcepts, but that was years ago). Just going to put on plain front rotors tomorrow.
    Do warped rotors make a noise? I didn't notice a noise before & my original rotors were really warped.

Since I need to replace the rotors anyway since I'm giving my GTZ to my parents when I find a used Volvo S60 AWD, could it be anything else besides the wheel bearings??

no it cannot be your rotors they dont do that when there bad he just wants to take some more money from you your mechanic, sound like your engine mounts.does your car vibrate in gear also? only in gear?

Vibrates only when I'm driving at certain speeds. When I reach 60-70, it goes away, the noise.

Edit: Went there today after work. Driving on the way there, I purposely hit the brakes from 80,70, 60, etc. and I felt the vibration/shake from the left side, so it's not the rotors. So this Saturday, going to replace the left front wheel bearing after searching the forums. Sounded like the problem & what the first diagnosis was from him.
    Last edited by KoopaTroopa; 05-06-2008 at 07:17 PM