The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question for those with coilovers

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Question for those with coilovers

What kind do you have and how easy is it to raise and lower the car?

Is it just a tool or do you have to jack the car up?

About how long does it take for each wheel?

Thanks

I'm trying to decide between OBX, Skunk2, Weapon R, and GC

GC here, but not on yet.
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

brandon
    Hey Jesse,

I have the Weapon R coilovers on my ride... the ride is pretty bouncy but I'm also riding on stock struts in the front... I have Tokicos in the rear.

It's REALLY easy to raise and lower the car once you've figured it out, it took me like 10 minutes to do that though...

You don't necessarily have to jack the car up... but if you have big wheels and tires it's gonna be tighter than a twelve year old getting at the coilover. It's a pain to have to take the wheel on and off as we all know but definitely worth the hassle in this case.

The tool you use is just a simple wrench that's shaped basically like a question mark... you have to guide it in and then basically just turn right or left, depending whether you want to raise or lower.

On average now that I'm used to doing it... it only takes about 10-15 minutes or so TOPS for each wheel, and that's with removing the wheels and putting em back on.

Hopefully that'll answer some of your questions, if you have any others I'd be glad to try and answer... coilovers are definitely the way to go though, can't argue with adjustable ride height!

-B

MitsuMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>

it's gonna be tighter than a twelve year oldt</div>

um.................. :shock:

brandon
    What!?! You've never been with a twelve year old before?

::whistling::

Actually, that's gross. Man, why did I say that.... :oops:

Experienced TGC Member
    Jes, with my Skunk2's I figured out that I just have to loosen the lower perch so that i can spin it, then I can grap both perches with my Mechanix gloves on and just turn them. Lower and raise takes about 7.2435453 minutes.
    Not sure if that makes any sense, let me know if it doesn't and I'll try and find a visual aid.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

If I saw a picture of it, I'd probably understand what you're talking about. Is raising it a lot harder since it's going against the weight?

brandon
    Raising or lowering pretty much requires the same amount of force... the lower perch is easy to spin up or down once you unlock it from the top perch... you can do that one with your hands like turning a cap of a bottle or something...

Brandon, how much for the Weapon R's?

I wonder what obx rides like

Experienced TGC Member
    Brandon explained it a little better than I could. Bravo Brandon!

The weaponR's are like $250 if I'm not mistaken, I almost bought them with my intake from Importstudio.com, I've heard they ride O.K.

I'm assuming that OBX is crap Jes, just an assumption. I've seen them on ebay for a pretty hefty price, maybe they're good

I have had my Skunk2's for about 5 months and after this winter I plan on trading them out for springs. "Why?" you ask, because my ass hurts dude! Even after I raised them up to 1" below stock they are still stiff as all hell, I miss my Eibach ride. Compared to coils, Eibach is like BMW style. It has gotten to the point where I just can barely stand it anymore, I thought the AGX's would help but nahhhhh, when I hit a pothole or a crack in the road it feels like my car is gonna bust in half. I will miss the drop it gives you but not the alignment everytime I change it. I think I am gonna try Intrax or Sprint next though. Just something to think about Jesse.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

brandon
    Hey Jesse,

I paid a tit over $300 for mine and I think they typically go for around that much at your local shop. I know the Ground Controls are a bit more expensive but I've heard they're a little better. The Weapon R's were suggested to me by my local shop so I went with those.

I'll admit the ride is bouncy as can be but I've heard that that's basically a guarantee if you don't plan on spending a grand to get Teins or something of that caliber.

MitsuMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>

I paid a tit</div>

Brandon, we have to have a talk, seriously....your quotes scare me...lol :shock: