The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Audio troubles!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Audio troubles!

I was driving last Saturday and all of a sudden my sub cut out. I thought I had blown a fuse, but when I touched the fuse to remove it the fuse and the top of the block that the fuse locks into was hot as hell. I pulled the fuse and replaced it and the sub worked fine until it got to a point when the bass would hit hard. The new fuse did not blow, but it was hot too. I noticed as soon as I touch the fuse the sub starts working again, like the fuse is not making full contact with the block. I even tried the old fuse and as soon as I wiggle it the sub starts working again until the bass hits hard. I checked all of my ground wires and everything is conected. I have included pics to show you guys the block thing and what the first fuse looked like after I pulled it. The part of the block I circled is the only part that gets hot for some reason. I hope you guys can help me. Im driving with no sounds because I dont want to burn my car up. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

"A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

run a thicker guage wire.. sometimes when the current is too high for the wiring it heats up
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

what do u have in the trunk?
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

Experienced TGC Member
    How long have you had that setup? You might have the speakers wired to an ohm load that the amp cant handle and its causing it to overheat.

I have had it this way since last summer. The only thing I got in the trunk is an Alpine Typ-R 10" sub.

This is the same gear i had in my old Galant for over a year.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UAL Tripple 7 View Post
    This is the same gear i had in my old Galant for over a year.

Any way of reading the voltage your getting to that wire? Something isnt right. If youve had that setup for that long and this problem is happening now then you need to do more investigating. Maybe your hot wire has a cut in it somewhere and its contacting metal somewhere down the line. Maybe your distribution block needs to be replaced. Maybe your amp could be going bad. IDK.... I wish i could help you out but im not really good with troubleshooting electronics. I know how to install and i know a little about them. The only time ive ever had an overheating problem was when i wired my sub to a ohm setting my amp couldnt handle. If i were you. Id take the sub out of the box to see if any wires have come loose in there. If its dual voice coils it should have 2 seperate terminals on it maybe something came loose in there. If one did you will still get bass from the sub but youre probably fucking it up. So id check there.. Good luck

Johnas

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    is that 8ga wire? if so, i say you should have at least 4ga. and if you have just 1 sub, why do you have 2 power wires running from it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Get a better power wire.. get a 4 Gauge.. If he's wiggling the fuse and it starts working again it's not going to be that the power wire is grounding somewhere.. If it was grounded the protection light on the amp would come on.. or the fuse would blow.. Most likely the wire can't handle it anymore.. Take a meter out and test your voltages..
    Last edited by Jeffylou87; 05-11-2008 at 01:37 AM

your shit is shorting out, somewhere.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Thanks guys. Im thinking its a ground issue too since I had this same problem before from a ground wire coming loose. I am going to check to see if the power wire has a cut in it that might be touching metel. For now I have cut all power to the amps. Fliegendaffe the other wire runs to another amp for the interior speakers.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UAL Tripple 7 View Post
    Thanks guys. Im thinking its a ground issue too since I had this same problem before from a ground wire coming loose. I am going to check to see if the power wire has a cut in it that might be touching metel. For now I have cut all power to the amps. Fliegendaffe the other wire runs to another amp for the interior speakers.
    your main power wire running to that distribution block should definitely be larger then

I have a 4G wire sitting in the garage That is still in the package. I am going to replace the main power wire with that. Should I replace the two wires from the dist. block with 4G too?

I think my problem is the dist. Block that the fuses are in. I checked all of the wires and everything looks good. When I checked the block with the fuses I noticed the fuse clips on the block felt loose. I think I may have damaged it when I tossed my suitcase in the trunk a few weeks ago. I'm going to replace the block and mount it in a different location so it does not get hit again.