The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: GALANTNOOB...hrmmm i mean carNOOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

GALANTNOOB...hrmmm i mean carNOOB

im not going to say anything retarded.

this problem has been posted before, Maybe.

1. my springs are squeaking
    2. Squeaky struts
    3. And i hear a lot of metal clunking noises (mainly left front tire area) when i go over bumps 25-45 mph but dont hear it any higher speeds then that

Should i go to pepboys and ask?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you might have worn McPherson struts. How long have you owned the car?? When was last time you replaced any suspension components? It could also be something as simple as the nut on top(under the hood) is not tight and allows play in your top plate and strut.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you might have worn McPherson struts. How long have you owned the car?? When was last time you replaced any suspension components? It could also be something as simple as the nut on top(under the hood) is not tight and allows play in your top plate and strut.

Actually im not new, im the idiot with the hood cracked open.

What exactly does the term Play mean?

I will check for bolts.

Is there anything i can feel for with my hands.

this car is 77k miles on it, dont know bout the suspension, i know though the front braks and rotors are new and all the wheels have been replaced with good ridge pro touring wheels.

i have a paper route, and sort of emabrassed to say that ive prolly beatin up my struts on purpose because ill be going 15-10 mph switch it to nuetral before i go on someone driveway.

Im guessing the driveway bumps are like speed bumps, but im a late worker so i tend to not think about respecting my car.

Ive tested pushing on the strut from my own body wheight, all i here is gas relseasing.

but when im driving or doing my route its different, i hear a bunch of clunking after i go over simple tar asphalt wheathered crack on the street. and then i get a lot of squeaking noises when i reverse out of soemoen driveway 'slowley' like sex on a bed squeaky type of sound.

check your front and rear stabilizer links and the bolt on the top of your suspension front and back like Raz said. Torque everything down to spec, also check the 4 bolts that bolt the control arm to the car front and rear. torque those to spec as well.
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

im assumign tourque as in tighten everything?

i just checked the nuts under the hood, but i dont know how to do any uner carriage inspections.

what exactly am i looking for.

torque = tighten to a specified point. so easiest way to get to that point is to use a "torque" wrench! so if it is supposed to be torqued to 70 foot pounds of torque you set your wrench to 70 and then tighten it until it clicks, now it is at 70 ft lbs of torque. so you would need a torque wrench if you want to go any farther. because easy way to mess us your suspension and start having to replace parts its to over torque something because you are just tightening until it feels tight to you.

so get one of those first. if you have one then we will proceed
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

how much am i talking bout, i cant even get my tire off.

does pepboys have torque wrench and a better tool to get tire bolts off.

At this point and what I feel is your lack of mechanical knowledge, I think you would be better off taking your ride to Pepboys, telling them what you feel/think is wrong and have them fix it for you.
    Love,
    Matt

So i shoudnt buy a tourque wrench?

i just wiki'd MacPhersons Strut design and im pretty sure i can tourque all the bolts on it.

I was just about to go buy it right now! untill i read you're post Matt. Fuck it i need ciggerretes anyway might as well stop there and look for car tools.

But i will have pepboys take a look at it, i dont get paid till 7 more days if i continue to drive on it what could be worst case scenario, B/C i work 7 days week and i need my ride cuz its like my co-worker.

you dont want to know worst case senario. yeah and matt might be right pepboys just to see if they can help right away but you do need to be able to help yourself eventually
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

should i still get the wrench

if a shop is gonna fix the car then you don't any tools just yet. they should have all the tools they need to fix your car.

should you get a torque wrench? its a good investment, but i feel that there are other tools out there that you should get first. but thats another thread.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

dense.
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    don't buy a wrench. please stay away from wrenches. take your car to a shop.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    don't buy a wrench. please stay away from wrenches. take your car to a shop.

Is that suppose to be a dis? WTF

No, that is just him telling you that you are in no way mechanically inclined enough to EVER turn a wrench in a safe manner on a car.

222whp/250wtq

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPaperBoy View Post
    Is that suppose to be a dis? WTF
    No, this is a Dis... Put down the wrench and step away from your car before you hurt yourself or someone else! Find yourself a reputable mechanic and stick to delivering papers...

And you guys should be ashamed of yourself for sending him to Pep Boys. I wouldn't let those monkeys plug a flat tire for fear they'd fuck it up
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Chip, at this point he has his heart set on pepboys, and given your description of PepBoys and the OP, I think they would be a perfect fit.
    Love,
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast