The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Megan Racing WILL correct Coilover problem for FREE!

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Megan Racing WILL correct Coilover problem for FREE!

Hey guys please see the email below between myself and Cyrus (head of tech support/R&D) at Megan Racing. I spoke with him on the phone shortly after this email to get some info as to how they were going to correct the problem, either by re-designing the entire lower strut mount or by offering an adjustable end link kit. I was informed that they will be re-designing the lower strut mount and the ETA on the new one is unfortunately 2-3 months time. While this is a long time, understand that R&D has to take place to make this correctly and I have to appreciate and respect that Cyrus and Megan Racing are being very professional about this and they are correcting a flaw in their design rather than trying to make another part to compensate for their original design flaw. I told Cyrus that I would be the contact person for both Club3g and TGC for any updates on when the new part becomes available. He said that anyone having a problem with the end links breaking will be sent the new lower mounts free of charge and there is NO need to return the old one as a "core". So with that being said, I will keep you guys posted as soon as I hear anything about this. I am not going to hound this guy by calling him twice a week for two months, I myself will be patient and wait at least 6 weeks and then contact him for an update unless he contacts me sooner. Please dont PM me asking about when and how you will get yours, I will keep this thread updated as soon as I get more info. Mods, can someone make this a sticky so we dont lose track of it. Im sure at some point we will need to make a list of people who need the new lower mounts, when that time comes I will let everyone know and we can start the list then.

Here is the last reply from Cyrus, as you can imagine its all in reverse order with my first message being at the end....

I have talk to my factory and we will be coming out with a solution as far as the roblem goes. Please check in with me in the near future for updates on this revision.

Thank yoU!

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: Attn: Alex RE: 2001 Eclipse Suspension Problem
    Date: Tue, May 13, 2008 12:05 pm
    To: [email protected]

Cyrus thank you for your attention to this matter. If you would please look at the links below. I researched the problem on Club3g.com prior to sending that message to you. The bottom line is, yes you can get the link to attach, but its on such a radical angle that the lower part of the link and swaybar hit the control arm and cause the link to break. The factory end link is plastic and metal, the plastic part is the part that obviously breaks because of the increased side loading put on the link because the tab on the strut is not correct. With that being said as a way to side step the problem the guys on club3g have switched to aftermarket Moog or AC Delco full metal swaybar links, while these links do not break because they are much stronger than the OEM links, it doesnt correct the problem. The metal link still hits the lower arm, causing the link to bend slightly from repeated impact with the lower arm, while this may be a great budget solution, in the end, this problem is caused by the improper design of the coilover. Other members that run the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers or the Tein Type SS-P coilovers dont have this problem and the JIC's are almost identical in design to the Megan coilovers. The only way to properly correct the problem with the Megan coilovers aside from re-manufacturing it with the right spec, is to offer an adjustable sway bar link kit with them to compensate for the difference. The only company I know that makes one for the 3g application is at www.powergridinc.com they list it for a 96-2006 Galant , but if you cross reference OEM part#'s its the same as the 3g eclipse, they are interchangeable. What is megan going to do to stand behind their product that I purchased in good faith that it would fit correctly?

Threads on club 3g about the problems....

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthre...megan+coilover

this is the install instruction on club3g, notice in the photos that the coilovers are installed with custom adjustable end links...because the stock ones wont fit

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthre...megan+coilover

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tue, 13 May 2008 1:47 pm
    Subject: RE: [FWD: Attn: Alex RE: 2001 Eclipse Suspension Problem]

We do not think it has been a problem as we have sold hundreds of 01 Eclipse CDK. We understand that the angle is not exactly located in the same position as we need to modify a little bit to make the coilover work with a feature of riding height adjustment, but it is for sure they always fit. There is no problem with the installation.

If you could check out www.club3g.com you will be able to find the install of the meganracing coilovers.

THANK YOU!!

Subject: [FWD: Attn: Alex RE: 2001 Eclipse Suspension Problem]
    Date: Mon, May 12, 2008 5:05 pm

__________________________________________________ _________
    Alex Chavez
    MEGAN RACING INC.

788 PHILIPS DR.
    CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91748

Office Hours
    Monday - Friday 9:30am-6:30pm

General Phone : +1 (626)581-0988
    General Fax : +1 (626)581-8334
    Wholesale Fax : +1 (626)581-4332

Subject: Attn: Alex RE: 2001 Eclipse Suspension Problem
    Date: Mon, May 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey Alex this is Brian. I spoke to you on the phone before regarding my problem. Here are the pics you requested. Since the mounting point for the stabilizer link is lower than stock and at a different angle, it doesnt allow the suspension to travel properly, once installed it causes the swaybar to contact the lower control arm, where as with a stock strut installed there is approximately 5/8" between the lower arm and the swaybar.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...pension012.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/EvoInside/?act ion=view&current=suspension006.jpg

Measurement on Megan strut

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...pension010.jpg

Measurement on OEM stock strut

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...pension003.jpg

Top view of megan strut, notice the angle at which the tab is welded..about 90 degrees

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...pension004.jpg

Top view of OEM stock strut, stock angle is roughly 45 degrees

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...pension011.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Might be a good time for those of you that bought these second hand to make PO aware of the situation so that they may receive these for you.

hell yeah! megan racing stepping up to the plate! *claps*
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

I know this thread is a year old but I am purchasing coilovers and was curious if the above mentioned problems have been corrected by Megan.

Thanks.

i have already replaced my endlink because mine broke like 4months ago...would be nice if megan sent me a new one.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Call them up and hound them about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

im planning on correcting the design myself and sending them a set to use as a guide or even sell it to them
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Kinda sucks...I would like to purchase them but I don't want potential problems.

even it it breaks i wasnt that big of a deal...i think i bought the part for like 60-70$ and i put it in myself...wasnt hard at all. i still recommend megans to anyon who wants to buy them...im happy with them...

Quote Originally Posted by glantnation View Post
    even it it breaks i wasnt that big of a deal...i think i bought the part for like 60-70$ and i put it in myself...wasnt hard at all. i still recommend megans to anyon who wants to buy them...im happy with them...
    Lower strut mounts...right? Where did you purchase them...and do I need 2 (front) or 4(front and back)?

I just emailed Megan and voiced my concerns and copied the link from club3G explaining the problem. Hopefully they will get back to me and I will share what they reply.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    you could skip all the trouble and get k-sports
    http://www.elementmotorsport.com/pro...?prod=CMT01-KP

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    you could skip all the trouble and get k-sports
    http://www.elementmotorsport.com/pro...?prod=CMT01-KP
    I know this completely sounds stupid but I don't like the Ksport color...or D2 for that matter, but I also don't want to spend a 1K and get an inferior product.

you shouldnt worry about the color beacuse you never see it anyways. and by the time that you do see it it will be covered with all the road dirt so you wont even notice the color of the coilovers.

Isnt Megan/K-Sport/D2 the same thing? Havnt experienced any problems with my coilovers yet

Quote Originally Posted by glantnation View Post
    you shouldnt worry about the color beacuse you never see it anyways. and by the time that you do see it it will be covered with all the road dirt so you wont even notice the color of the coilovers.
    I know...but once you open the hood you see them...but if I don't get a positive reply them I will go with Ksport or D2 (which I have heard are the same manufacturer???).

I can still see the orange from my K-Sport even after a winter and 1 years driving :)
    Looks good :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    I know...but once you open the hood you see them...but if I don't get a positive reply them I will go with Ksport or D2 (which I have heard are the same manufacturer???).
    yes they are even made in the same Korean factory, however the k-sports are supposedly better. PM "boostzealot" to see if he likes his K-sports (I'm pretty sure he loves them). And there are quite a few members on here that got D2's

A member on another forum that drives a G (a fast one too.. you guys know who I'm talking about) thinks that the megans are "okay".

this is funny, cuz I have stock endlinks with my megans, no problems whatsoever
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

My end links snapped as well. I emailed Megan about the problem several times and never got a response.