The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2nd Amp power source/many questions

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

2nd Amp power source/many questions

I'm getting all the stuff together to replace some of my car stereo system: an aftermarket HU, mitsu cable, 4 new door/shelf speakers, a 2nd amp with two 6 1/2 small subs for the trunk. I can find most of the information in previous posts about hooking it all up, except I would like to know where to hook up the 2nd amp for power. Presumably I run power cables under the rear seat, under the plastic area holding down the carpet, and through the firewall. Where should I connect them, so the amp's only getting power while the car's running? what grade of cable should I use for power to the 2nd amp?

Also for the RCA cables from the HU to the 2nd Amp in the trunk, any recommendations on brand? also length, would 12ft be too long?

I'm thinking about getting a mono amp to drive the 2 subs and wire them in series. Would I be better off getting a 2 channel amp and hooking them up separately to L + R?

Many thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 05-15-2008 at 05:45 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    well firstly, 6.5" subs in our huge ass trunk = pointless. get a single 10. The power wire thru the door jamb is not recommended, firewall drilling will be required, if you search the exact drilling location was just covered not too long ago. If you do in fact run a single 10 which you should, the amp should have at least 8 gauge wiring for your setup, although I'd go with 4. RCAs are RCAs, get Monster Cable if you want peace of mind, and if you run your RCAs from your H/U, across the driver's side foot area tucked away, down the side pillar on the floor holding the carpet, and into the trunk beneath the rear seat so its all hidden, 12 ft is enough, i would get more in case. You can't find and 6.5" subs worth running on a mono amp in my opinion, just get a single 10, or 12.

Figgendaffe follow up for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Gtsnapper View Post
    door jams,
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    side pillar on the floor holding the carpet
    Thanks, that's what I was trying to say! I'll go back and edit that, so I dont confuse everyone.

I read your post about firewall drilling location, no problem with that. I also saw a few posts about Monster cables, so I'll go with those.

It's just where Im going to hook those cables upto for power...
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 05-15-2008 at 05:54 PM

Why not the battery?

Why not the battery?
    Im just learning this. So if I hook it up to the battery, the amp wont drain it while the car isnt running?

Edit: It would be nice if the amp wasnt on all the time, and went off when the car isn't running.
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 05-15-2008 at 06:11 PM

Once you hook up the remote wire to the headunit (blue wire), the amp turns on and off with the car.

Once you hook up the remote wire to the headunit (blue wire), the amp turns on and off with the car.
    I understand now. Thanks for explaining that.

No prob let me know if you get stuck along the way

I will. Thanks again.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Make sure that when you run your RCA's, that they're on the opposite side of where you ran your power wire.. RCA's and Remote together on one side, and power on the other.. Ground should be tapped to the back seat frame..

you can only run one power cable....then use a distribution block so you can poer also the second amp...are you planning to use a secod amp for your front stage ?