The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear brake upgrade problem

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Rear brake upgrade problem

I bought a " 2G DSM Eclipse Talon REAR DISC BRAKES 420A 4G63 TURBO" from ebay. I also bought 1994 DOHC rear rotors for a GS galant from tirerack. The part number for the brake rotor is #25165 and it is a brembo. I mounted the plate with no problems. But when i tried to put the rotor on it wouldn't fit. the emergency brake system wouldnt allow it. i adjust the ebrake adjustment to fully closed and still no go. I went to Advance Auto to see if i would needed another ebrake drum pad. The guy working there gave me a bigger EBrake pad that he said was for a gs. This swap is starting to stress me. If anyone could give me some pointers that would be great.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...4&autoModClar=

the brakes on the gs are no different.

is your ebrake lever pulled?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    oohhh yeah i had that same problem. i had such a hard time getting the shoes to close small enough, and i knew they had to because the two hold-down pins were pulled to the outside, like the shoes were still too far off from the holes on the backing plate.

first and foremost, make sure the ebrake cable is secure in the lever on the rear shoes. the cable itself (not just the metal square at the end) should be as far down as possible into the groove. if not, since the lever is curved like the shoe, you're only expanding the shoes more if the cable rests higher up on the lever.

i adjust the ebrake adjustment to fully closed and still no go.
    are you talking about the nut on the ebrake lever cable underneath the ashtray? OR the adjuster that sits at the bottom of the e-brake itself? make sure they're both loosened as much as possible; try not to back out too many threads from the one underneath the ashtray so it doesn't pop off when you pull....hard.

you said you mounted the "plate", as in the backing plate? i'm confused, are you doing the brakeswap or just upgrading your rotors/pads?
    Last edited by peanotation; 05-16-2008 at 11:48 PM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i think i heard of someone smoothing down the pads some. I know i had a tight fit when i put my brand new rotors on brand new e brake pads

Rear brake upgrade problem

I will try that.