The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sway bars - do they exist?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Any 2g strut bar will work. Â*Upper or lower. Â*Suspension bushing kit for the 2g would greatly increase the handling. Â*Just a pain to install.</div>

i thought the upper ones didnt fit, and if they it wasnt a direct bolt on their needed to be some modding done to it.

and for the lower, how do i go about installing it? i need to make my own holes?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Any 2g strut bar will work. Â*Upper or lower. Â*Suspension bushing kit for the 2g would greatly increase the handling. Â*Just a pain to install.</div>

i thought the upper ones didnt fit, and if they it wasnt a direct bolt on their needed to be some modding done to it.

and for the lower, how do i go about installing it? i need to make my own holes?</div>

the upper ones work from the 2g for both front and back, and the rear lower one works too, all direct bolt on. you might have to turn the one under the hood around
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Actually a 1.5" pipe flattened on both ends will work also Â*:)</div>

You got that right..my lower tie bar: (total cost $4.50 HomeDepot)

Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

JIP i cant see the pic u posted

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'>JIP i cant see the pic u posted Â*:(</div>

Becuase microsoft hates me and IIS brings my webserver down whenever it feels like it..hosted the pic somewhere else should work now
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

SamirDarji
    This thread got me thinking so I did some cross referencing in CAPS. Here's what I came up with:

The mitsubithi rear sway bar for the 7th gen Galant part number is MB948100. It's only about $35 through www.mitsubishiparts.net, so it's around $45 from a dealer. That same bar is used on the 2nd Gen NON-TURBO Eclipse (d31a).

The front sway bar for the 7th gen Galant is the same as used in the 2nd Gen TURBO Eclipses (d32a,d33a,d38a)

Now, if there are aftermarket sway bars available for the 2nd Gen Eclipse, we can probably use them depending on which model they are designed for.

SamirDarji
    After some searching that prompted more research, here's what I've come up with:

The Galant uses the exact same front and rear sway bars as certain Eclipses, except that the thickness is varied. I'm going to list out everything I've researched from CAPS and sort it by thickness:

THICKNESS - PART# - FACTORY APPLICATIONS - NOTES

Front:
    16mm - MB910391 - d31a Eclipse "Low-line" (whatever that means), d31a Eclipse RS, d39a Eclipse GS 2.4L Spyder - might fit 7th Gen Galant
    18mm - MB864694 - d31a Eclipse GS, e56a Galant S/ES/LS
    19mm - MB871885 - d32a Eclipse GS-T, d32a Eclipse GSX, d38a Eclipse GS-T, e56a Galant GS

Rear:
    12mm - MB948100 - e56a Galant GS, d31a Eclipse GS
    15mm - MR130722 - d32a Eclipse GS-T, d38a Eclipse GS-T - might fit 7th Gen Galant
    18mm - MB914340 - d33a Eclipse GSX - might fit 7th Gen Galant

What this means is that a GS front bar will actually improve handling on any other trim level Galant. The "low-line" Eclipse bar seems like it also will fit if for some reason you wanted to tune your suspension for a different setup (a lot of oversteer), but someone would have to test it.

For the rear, there is only one bar that is a direct match for the Galant and that is the Galant ES/Eclipse GS 12mm bar. There is a possibility that the other Eclipse bars will fit, but someone would have to test it. That would also allow us to use aftermarket bars such as these: http://www.machv.com/rmracswaybar1.html.

This also allows us to use Energy Suspension bushing packages for any of the bars that fit our cars: http://www.suspension.com/mitsubishi.htm. Notice how the size of the bars match all the sizes above.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    god damn that is some good information, i might look into sway bars now 8)

question: how come the mitsubishi parts website has the rear and front sway bars for about $40, but the MachV website has it for $299.99?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>god damn that is some good information, i might look into sway bars now Â*8)</div>
    Thanks! Pain in the ass. And I thought the parts system LG Electronics used sucks. :shock:

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>question: how come the mitsubishi parts website has the rear and front sway bars for about $40, but the MachV website has it for $299.99?</div>
    The MachV ones are thicker, and I guess that makes them a premium. I know the Suspension Techniques bar I got for the Altima cost around $150 just for a rear, so $300 for both isn't that bad. I plan on asking around on the fitment of the rear bar. The front one would work for sure since it just replaces the Eclipse GSX and GS-T, which is the same as the Galant GS.

so according to SamirDarji
    the eclipse gs front and rear strut bar will fit my 7g, now i have seen on ebay some company that sells the rear tie bar for our 7g's.

I want to buy the strut bar set and i plan on buying them on ebay, also the tie bar from that seller.

what model eclipse gs year will best fit our 7g
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Funny i come on the sight to start searching for FSTB's and and sway bars ,and here it is right before me. Guess it was meant to be, thanks Samir.
    So i just went into the garage and looked and i think i might have the stock lower rear sway bar. i have a '94 LS, but this part looks different than the pic posted.

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    so according to SamirDarji
    the eclipse gs front and rear strut bar will fit my 7g, now i have seen on ebay some company that sells the rear tie bar for our 7g's.

I want to buy the strut bar set and i plan on buying them on ebay, also the tie bar from that seller.

what model eclipse gs year will best fit our 7g
    If you are talking about sway bars, yes. If you are talking about strut tower braces, I don't know.

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    Funny i come on the sight to start searching for FSTB's and and sway bars ,and here it is right before me. Guess it was meant to be, thanks Samir.
    So i just went into the garage and looked and i think i might have the stock lower rear sway bar. i have a '94 LS, but this part looks different than the pic posted.
    That's strange. A parts search in CAPS shows "no data" for an e56a LS model (Fed or Cali). :?:

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i've always wondered what that e56a was for, i have a 94 Galant LS which basically is sohc, all the fixings, but no spoiler. also rear drums,
    ( abviously )

ok guys i dont know about you guys but i am kind of lost here :oops:

A Strut bar is the one that goes on top of the engine?
    A rear strut bar is the one thats on the back side of the car on the top?
    A tie bar is the back bar that goes on the bottom?

What other bars are there :?

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok guys i dont know about you guys but i am kind of lost here :oops: Â*

A Strut bar is the one that goes on top of the engine?
    A rear strut bar is the one thats on the back side of the car on the top?
    A tie bar is the back bar that goes on the bottom?

What other bars are there Â* :?</div>
    FSTB = Front Strut Tower Brace - A brace that typically goes across the engine bay joining the 2 strut towers to reduce chassis flex
    RSTB = Rear Strut Tower Brace - Similar to the FSTB, but designed for the rear. May be visable in the passenger compartment or the trunk.
    Rear Lower Tie Bar - A piece of metal that ties some of the left and right suspension parts together to keep the suspension geometry correct.
    Sway Bar - A torsion bar designed to keep the car flat during cornering. Typically reduces body roll. Available on most cars for the front and rear.

thank you a million, you dont know how much you have help me in regards to information about the bars :thumbsup:

SamirDarji
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    thank you a million, you dont know how much you have help me in regards to information about the bars :thumbsup:
    No problem. I remember back when I started tuning all the bars seemed the same. I just had to do a ton of reading.

it should be noted that if you intend to install the rear swaybar on a non-GS galant, you will need some additional mounting hardware. for the 2g cars that came without a rear swaybar, the website for RMDSM sway bars (which are considered very good) has this to say:

Models that do not come with a rear stabilizer bar from the factory (models marked "see below") must purchase additional parts from Mitsubishi/Eagle/Dodge/Chysler in order to utilize the RMDSM stabilizer bars.
    Part Desc. Mitsu No. Dodge No. Approx. $
    2 Cont.Arm MB864728 MB864728 $45.00/ea.
    2 End Links MB892982 MB892982 $15.00/ea.
    2 Brackets MB515245 MB515245 $ 8.00/ea.
    4 Nuts MS440504 MS440504 $ 1.00/ea.
    4 Bolts MF241251 MBF241251 $ 1.00/ea
    Approximate TOTAL $145.00

i can't say if these parts will work on our cars, but if you got the same parts for the GS, it will most likely work. (i have not checked to see if they are the same or not)

http://www.rernetworking.com/rmdsm/stabilizerbars.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast