The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing Steering Wheel

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

Removing Steering Wheel

Hey Guys I just received another galant steering wheel and I wanna swap it for the one thats on the car now.....i found this from an old thread

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews View Post
    its simple.

first, unplug battery.
    second, unscrew airbag.
    3rd, remove airbag.
    4th, remove 17 mm nut retaining the steering wheel.

now, youre SUPPOST to use a steering wheel puller here, but in reality you can usually just wiggle the wheel off the shaft.

HOWEVER.. there is no master spline of anykind. you MUST install the steering wheel in the same location EXACTLY, or it will appear to be off center when your driving.

also, (and this is REALLY important), you must be sure to have the clock spring in dead center (along with the tires) before you reinstall the wheel. if you accidently turn the clock spring one turn (or more) right or left, it WILL break during use, rendering your airbag worthless, and causing the SRS light to come on.
    i'm a little confused about the clock spring...what does he mean turning it i assumed its already straight lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Pretty much. You don't need to remove the clock spring if you are just swapping stock steering wheels. Disconnect battery, then you have two star screws holding the bag to steering wheel. Remove those pull the bag, disconnect 3 wires, one for airbag, one for horn and one for cruise control. Lock the steering wheel for easy removal of the nut holding the steering wheel in place. Now just shake the steering wheel off, no need for any puller.

cool appreciate it

You're welcome!

i miss manybrews. guy was full of good info.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

When I put in my new airbag and clock spring, I needed a puller to get the wheel off. Luckily my Father had one. I couldn't wiggle it out for nothing.

well i did it last night no need for the puller with little force it slid out easy...only problem i had was with those air bag screw it stripped on me luckily the other steering brought a couple...for future reference those screws are T30 star pattern

You noobs...lol. If anything, you take a rubber mallet and hit it right on that center nut a couple of times and it will come loose. No need for puller...