The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Service Engine Soon Light

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Service Engine Soon Light

My service engine soon light came on, so I took it to my mechanic. However, the scanner didn't pick up any errors, so he turned the light off. Drive it today for 80 miles & the light went off again. Since it didn't give off a code last time, I have no idea what it could be.

My mechanic said it might be the Bank 1 catalytic converter off the manifold, the only one left I didn't change. I checked the gas cap & it looked fine. But there's no codes being read. I'll have to check Tuesday to see if there's a code this time.

try with another code reader?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    try with another code reader?
    I was wondering about that. He was using one the shop bought last month, instead of the older one I usually see him use. If it doesn't pick anything up Tuesday, I"ll ask him to use his old one.

Same thing's happening to mine. Light came on around 137k miles and had some weird stuttering problems, then went back to normal, then came back on, and now it's just random. When I took my car to get inspected/tires/etc the other day the light just happened to be off, since it keeps randomly coming on. I have no idea what it's for.

The only thing that ever actually happened performance-wise was when it came on the first time. It felt like it couldn't find 1st and 2nd gear (though I have no idea if/why the check engine light would come on for a transmission problem). At the beginning of those gears it felt like it slipped, and the delay between me pushing the pedal and something happening was long. It happened for about a day or two but then it went away. It's been over 1000 miles since that happened and nothing seems wrong...so I have no idea what it was.

Maybe this helps you a bit. Maybe Mitsu made it so the light comes on when you should be taking it in for a check-up (a certain mileage or something)? No idea, but my car's running fine and the light still comes on sometimes.
    Last edited by Dake; 05-26-2008 at 01:37 AM

You guys should stop ignoring the SES light, it comes on for a reason. Go get it read at a good shop (not one that is just guessing), and have the problem fixed. Codes can also be pulled even if the light is not on. Or you could buy a reader yourself under $100, it's a good investment.

And no, there's no such thing as "mitsu made it so..." And yes, it could be your transmission on it's way out. But you'll never know it until you read the codes or your trans just dies one day...

Bottom line is: have the codes read first. Or deal with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dake View Post
    Same thing's happening to mine. Light came on around 137k miles and had some weird stuttering problems, then went back to normal, then came back on, and now it's just random. When I took my car to get inspected/tires/etc the other day the light just happened to be off, since it keeps randomly coming on. I have no idea what it's for.

The only thing that ever actually happened performance-wise was when it came on the first time. It felt like it couldn't find 1st and 2nd gear (though I have no idea if/why the check engine light would come on for a transmission problem). At the beginning of those gears it felt like it slipped, and the delay between me pushing the pedal and something happening was long. It happened for about a day or two but then it went away. It's been over 1000 miles since that happened and nothing seems wrong...so I have no idea what it was.

Maybe this helps you a bit. Maybe Mitsu made it so the light comes on when you should be taking it in for a check-up (a certain mileage or something)? No idea, but my car's running fine and the light still comes on sometimes.
    My car is at a 140k & does the weird sputtering as well. If I'm at a red light & idle, the RPMs will go rev to 500 - 1000, but it usually stays at 800. I noticed it did that last year, so around 120k.

Quote Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
    My car is at a 140k & does the weird sputtering as well. If I'm at a red light & idle, the RPMs will go rev to 500 - 1000, but it usually stays at 800. I noticed it did that last year, so around 120k.
    check the alternator or something with the idle speed control.......

The light just went off today by itself, so I'll see if it goes back on later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    You guys should stop ignoring the SES light, it comes on for a reason. Go get it read at a good shop (not one that is just guessing), and have the problem fixed. Codes can also be pulled even if the light is not on. Or you could buy a reader yourself under $100, it's a good investment.

And no, there's no such thing as "mitsu made it so..." And yes, it could be your transmission on it's way out. But you'll never know it until you read the codes or your trans just dies one day...

Bottom line is: have the codes read first. Or deal with the consequences.
    buy a tactrix cable for about 80-100 dollars and use ScanTech. that's how i'm able to read and diagnose my SES light situations (along with datalogging the car too ;) )

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

same here, light goes on and off

i noticed on hotter days, it goes off

mechanic said its emissions related, probably will fix next month

stkiflngaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Dake View Post

The only thing that ever actually happened performance-wise was when it came on the first time. It felt like it couldn't find 1st and 2nd gear (though I have no idea if/why the check engine light would come on for a transmission problem). At the beginning of those gears it felt like it slipped, and the delay between me pushing the pedal and something happening was long..

i had a similar problem and i thought it was the tranny... it ended up being my spark plugs and the engine was misfiring.. it felt like the tranny was slipping and sputtering..

check the code and check the sparks